1970 Fury HP Exhaust Manifolds Burn Valve Cover Paint

Gotta give em that, the chryslers were interesting at top end.....different than ford and chevy. They would roll. Early on I moved from plymouth to chevy. For drag racing, chrysler shifting was a challenge, and in 70's with the damn new process, all you did was replace shift forks.....not with borg or muncie, they would shift.

I'm going to throw a theory out here. You mentioned you have your crossovers blocked, could this have contributed to extra heat staying in the heads, closer to the exhaust ports rather than being distributed a little more evenly throughout the entire head?

Here's my '70 440, car originally was a 383-4 hence the manifolds and air cleaner. I was told it was rebuilt to HP specs, but who knows? It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and goes like a cut cat. First pics are from 2018, quick degrease, brush, scuff and spray job, no
IMG_20180830_204221.jpg
primer as well. Not a ton, but a whole lot more that 30 miles on them since then, no burning. And I do give 'er hell on regular occasion. Second (dusty) pics from yesterday.
IMG_20180830_204200.jpg

PXL_20240513_231950987.jpg
PXL_20240513_231924523.jpg
PXL_20240515_184332408.jpg

To the OP, or anyone else, enlarge the picture of the down view of the manifold and valve cover and notice the clearance gap from rear vs front, rear is more, middle & front are closer. Maybe just maybe in the engines lifetime the exhaust manifold was resurfaced as in this video?

To the OP, or anyone else, enlarge the picture of the down view of the manifold and valve cover and notice the clearance gap from rear vs front, rear is more, middle & front are closer. Maybe just maybe in the engines lifetime the exhaust manifold was resurfaced as in this video?

Really interesting video. I didn't know any of that about the new gen 3 hemis. Thanks. Dave's Auto Center Rocks!
I'm going to try Rustoleum 2000°F because a member on FBBO recommended against using the paint I used alone. I had 2 others tell me I need to use a primer and a clear.
If that doesn't work both exhaust manifolds are coming off. I checked them with a straight edge, but that doesn't eliminate the surface being cut on an angle. I have another set of HP manifolds I can try.

my 78 440 powered truck came from the factory with those exhaust manifold gaskets that protect the valve cover gasket. When I built my 70 Challenger six pack car I added one of those gaskets on the right side of that engine because the manifold is real close on the right bank but no so much on the left.
Here is a pic of my 78 engine. I still have the extra gasket if you wanna try it. It helps save the paint and gasket for quite a while. The gasket itself is a Mopar PN: 4095786

View attachment 660192
what kind of overdrive is that ?

Back