Gas fumes and empty gas filter. - '68 300

Thank you all. I was on the fence about blocking the crossover and this helped me make the decision. I will order a new pan and report back.

@david hill
I don't see any holes or cracks in the pan when I hold it up to a flashlight. Since I plan to replace the pan I am not going to worry too much about it. Although it is ironic the pan is rusting with so much oil covering it!

I will read up in the FSM but for those who have done it, should I use thread sealer on the intake manifold bolts?

Also, should I be concerned about the carbon build up around the crossover ports before I block it off with the new pan? If a chunk of carbon where to break off is it going straight back out the exhaust or will it possibly fall back into the cylinder and cause chaos?

mgm1986
Personally, I do not use any sealer on intake bolts. The sealing is accomplished when the manifold is torqued (35 ft lbs - I think). These bolts do not intersect any water passages (that I know of). I do not use the separate the gaskets that come with the valley pan. There have been discussions about this and it seems that they are used when aftermarket heads are installed. Do make sure that the threads on the the bolts and heads are clean. A tap/die set is a good investment. As per the FSM a light coat of oil on the threads help to insure an even torque.
I have no insight on the carbon. I would not think that engine destruction would result if it was left alone.

Thank you all. I was on the fence about blocking the crossover and this helped me make the decision. I will order a new pan and report back.

@david hill
I don't see any holes or cracks in the pan when I hold it up to a flashlight. Since I plan to replace the pan I am not going to worry too much about it. Although it is ironic the pan is rusting with so much oil covering it!

I will read up in the FSM but for those who have done it, should I use thread sealer on the intake manifold bolts?

Also, should I be concerned about the carbon build up around the crossover ports before I block it off with the new pan? If a chunk of carbon where to break off is it going straight back out the exhaust or will it possibly fall back into the cylinder and cause chaos?
IMHO, that oil could be from a spill while putting oil it, but I could be wrong.

No sealant needed for the threads. They don't go into a water jacket.

I wouldn't touch the carbon. It's not hurting anything and the chances of breaking pieces off multiplies with trying to remove it. Anything that loosens up once you put it back together will simply blow out the exhaust.

Back