Status
Not open for further replies.

barnfind

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
Not mine

Classic 1956 imperial limo, one of less than 100

We are told this is one of 74 1956 Chrysler Imerial ghia limousine available to president Eisenhower for his entourage. It's not in good shape but has most parts and some resto work was started. The suspension was rebuilt and brakes converted to dual master cylinder. The wheel cylinders were all honed and new seals. The shoes were in good shape so the drums were deglazed and shoes refitted, there is a good chance it will have to be redone or at least some of it. The engine is a basket case and has one very large hole in one piston but a good candidate for rebuild. Crank is good as well as block heads rods etc. I don't recall the measurements we took on the cylinders but I some how think we were only looking for a piston along with bearings rings and chain. The water pump leaked when we fired it up on seven cylinders, but yes it ran (like crap) but run it did. Some extra parts go with the car, some interior trim parts and latches, door handles and the eagle for the front. The headlight rings and one side louvre are missing along with one of the long side trim pieces I was going to make one from two. Only some interior trim and couple of exterior trim parts missing. We even have the wheel covers, though I like the artillery wheels with a trim ring and derby. Trans is the push button three speed I believe, though we didn't run it long enough to find out for sure

00b0b_cIG6yNzDOvs_600x450.jpg
00101_izMANQ4CFK1_600x450.jpg
00n0n_kwzhv5vwGFG_600x450.jpg

Not mine

Classic 1956 imperial limo, one of less than 100

We are told this is one of 74 1956 Chrysler Imerial ghia limousine available to president Eisenhower for his entourage. It's not in good shape but has most parts and some resto work was started. The suspension was rebuilt and brakes converted to dual master cylinder. The wheel cylinders were all honed and new seals. The shoes were in good shape so the drums were deglazed and shoes refitted, there is a good chance it will have to be redone or at least some of it. The engine is a basket case and has one very large hole in one piston but a good candidate for rebuild. Crank is good as well as block heads rods etc. I don't recall the measurements we took on the cylinders but I some how think we were only looking for a piston along with bearings rings and chain. The water pump leaked when we fired it up on seven cylinders, but yes it ran (like crap) but run it did. Some extra parts go with the car, some interior trim parts and latches, door handles and the eagle for the front. The headlight rings and one side louvre are missing along with one of the long side trim pieces I was going to make one from two. Only some interior trim and couple of exterior trim parts missing. We even have the wheel covers, though I like the artillery wheels with a trim ring and derby. Trans is the push button three speed I believe, though we didn't run it long enough to find out for sure

View attachment 113849 View attachment 113850 View attachment 113851

This car reminds me of a car I saw in Don Garlits collection. It was a '56 four door New Yorker that belonged to Dwight Eisenhower. The car was pristine and had very low mileage on it. I got a picture of it somewhere. . .

From the Imperial web pages
Owned by the 1st President of Indonesia.
1954 Crown Imperial Limousine. Currently owned by Mr. Sofyan Tamara, treasurer of Indonesian Vintage Car Association. The hubcaps are not original. Notice the tall flag pole. Except the hubcaps, all remain original (paint, interior, etc.)
16299332_10210907301215668_6886481953269492229_n.jpg

This car reminds me of a car I saw in Don Garlits collection. It was a '56 four door New Yorker that belonged to Dwight Eisenhower. The car was pristine and had very low mileage on it. I got a picture of it somewhere. . .

Here you go.....................

"This beautiful 1956 Imperial sedan was purchased by Mamie Eisenhower for DDE on his birthday in 1956. It has the optional 45 r.p.m. record player and some of Ike's favorite records still in the car. This car is currently on display at the Garlits Museum, Ocala Florida."

Sidetn.jpg

Also, Ike had three 1956 Imperial parade phaetons placed in three places in the country during his Presidency, provided by Chysler:

"In 1952, Chrysler built three Parade Phaetons on extended Crown Imperial chassis and shipped them off to New York, Los Angeles and the White House so they could be used to chauffeur dignitaries. The car company took them back in 1955 to update them with the 1956 “Forward Look” styling of the Chrysler Imperial. Since the federal government had a policy of not taking gifts, this car became known as "The Detroit Car" because of where it was housed when it wasn't in use by President Eisenhower or others on his staff. The striking white convertible is the only one of the trio that is now privately owned."

1956_Imperial_Parade_Phaeton_-_Dwight_Eisenhower_car_-_fvl.jpg

Last edited:
Here you go.....................

"This beautiful 1956 Imperial sedan was purchased by Mamie Eisenhower for DDE on his birthday in 1956. It has the optional 45 r.p.m. record player and some of Ike's favorite records still in the car. This car is currently on display at the Garlits Museum, Ocala Florida."

Sidetn.jpg

Also, Ike had three 1956 Imperial parade phaetons placed in three places in the country during his Presidency, provided by Chysler:

"In 1952, Chrysler built three Parade Phaetons on extended Crown Imperial chassis and shipped them off to New York, Los Angeles and the White House so they could be used to chauffeur dignitaries. The car company took them back in 1955 to update them with the 1956 “Forward Look” styling of the Chrysler Imperial. Since the federal government had a policy of not taking gifts, this car became known as "The Detroit Car" because of where it was housed when it wasn't in use by President Eisenhower or others on his staff. The striking white convertible is the only one of the trio that is now privately owned."

1956_Imperial_Parade_Phaeton_-_Dwight_Eisenhower_car_-_fvl.jpg

Thanks a lot, Steve. I did not remember that the car I saw was an Imperial - not a New Yorker. As I do recall, the car was parked in pretty tight in Garlit's collection; therefore, I didn't see anything but the front end.

Does anyone have the contact information for this 56 limo?. I am currently looking for one. I found a 55 but would prefer a 56.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back