1963 Chrysler Newport -- Who do you trust?

Hilderbrand1983

Reaction score
Having spent a couple of months over with the A-body folks, and having learned what I can on my '67 Dodge Dart 270 with its slant-6, I've decided to move on to a different project.

Someone is wanting to do a straight swap for her 1963 Chrysler Newport convertible -- it has a V8 361cid engine, which I understand is the base engine. It has an automatic transmission. The current owner is a sweetheart who wants to try re-living her youth; the first car she ever bought was a hot red, '67 Dart 270. As far as I could tell, there isn't any major problem with the Newport as it sits. It isn't a show car, though; it's clearly a survivor.

Three things will require quick attention, to my mind. As online vendors go, who do YOU trust to provide quality products for...

(1) Replacing the convertible top? (The original is still on the car, but it needs to be changed; full of holes, tears, etc.)
(2) Reupholstering the seats? (There's only one tear in the seating, but it's a pretty big one along a seam in the front bench. I'd be happy with seat covers.)
(3) Providing new carpet?

A FINAL NOTE: This isn't my dream car by any means. I may keep it for a year or two. I'm hoping, over the course of a few years (decades?), to trade up and get me a 66-72 Dodge or Plymouth muscle car (Challenger, Barracuda, Roadrunner ... ya know, that kind of beast). I'm looking to keep prices reasonable, but I'm happy to pay what is needed to get a quality product.

Post some pictures of both, if you can. You will get plenty of opinions I'm sure. I know what I would do. Full sized Chrysler convertible over a 6cyl. A-body in a heartbeat. I know the '63 is not very popular with most, but I like them.
hrpt_day6_2006_27_z+1963_chrysler_newport_convertible+.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the trade is definitely going to happen as far as I'm concerned. These are the pics I took -- not the best in the world, but it gives you an idea of what I'm working with.

The re-spray is supposedly in the original color ("Glacier Blue"), which I hate. The interior has that gaudy "blue-and-green" feel that simply screams "early sixties." However, it still strikes me as something I want.

Finally, at the bottom, you'll find my '67 Dart in all her "*****-red lipstick paint" glory. Now THIS is my color! I once owned a Torred '09 Charger, and my current daily driver is a '16 Torred Challenger.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the wheels don't look original to me. You can barely make out the left rear wheel in the first photo. What kind of wheels came original to the Newport in this model year? Or do you know where I can find out?

13932841_10100695723077572_5227174101421810091_n.jpg

14040062_10100695723097532_5442331930507409005_n.jpg

14095980_10100695723032662_1032734419172720381_n.jpg

20160822_130029.jpg

20160821_150124.jpg

Last edited:
I'd trade in a heartbeat! For starters call Legendary to check availability of the top and upholstery.

That's a good trade, a vert for a 4 door /6 dart. No brainer for sure. She looks to have slot mags which look decent on damn near anything, but 14" steel wheels and wheel covers are stock. Good luck and get that swap done before she changed her mind
Travis..

That's a good trade, a vert for a 4 door /6 dart. No brainer for sure. She looks to have slot mags which look decent on damn near anything, but 14" steel wheels and wheel covers are stock. Good luck and get that swap done before she changed her mind
Travis..

Totally -- I love my Dart, but figured I'd have a hard time trading up with it. I mean, besides this woman, who wants a slant-6 instead of a V8? Thanks for your pointers about the wheels. Until I get the car and have a chance to detail it, I won't know whether I'll want to go that far into bringing the car back to stock condition.

DO IT. Different animal entirely. I don't know about "trading up" but the coolness of that car is undeniable... worth every ounce of knuckle blood.

Seriously tho, that dart is a fine machine. This is about where your heart lies n sometime that's just an entirely different ride. I can
All but guarantee that that swap will bring you years of heartache getting her up to speed, likely the same as your Dart.. But that journey is a priceless piece. Snap it up while you can!

I do tend to stay away from verts for this reason, tho most of my cars never see rain at any cost so...

Like going from a rowboat to an Ocean Liner....it's all about the ride which the 63 will out class the Dart on. Don't deep think it too much lot's of help here and we are way nicer than the FABO guys just ask us....

It's a good great trade. But if you're not into the car, make the trade, then trade the Newport for $$$ towards your dream car. I like the car, but I'd rather buy something untouched for a flip. I have my own connections to get the work done, probably cheaper than what you'd be trying to recover.

*I'm not looking to buy it, too many as it is... Just telling you how I'd feel if I was.

Back