1964 Rear Axle Assembly Question

mikedrini

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Freezin me arse off up here in New Hampshire (high of minus 10) and while assembling the rear axle shafts on my 64 New Yorker I had a question. Keep in mind I am working with the ever-so-famous tapered axles with the hub key. I also did the tapered axle conversion for what it's worth:

Mopar Tapered Axle Brakes

Both shafts seem to be seated and spin correctly as I have utilized my dial indicator, shimmed both sides according to the manual's spec, have correct end play and torqued down the axle shaft nuts to 150 ft per pound.

My question is this: while hand-rotating my axle shafts, should my driveshaft be spinning or not? Probably a dumb question, but hey to become old and wise, you must first be young and stoooopid. Thanks as always for the help!

Mike

On most rear ends, if you spin one axle, the one on the other side will spin the other direction. If you spin one axle and someone holds the other axle, the drive shaft should spin.

Not stupid just ignorant. Ignorant can be fixed, stupid can't!! Ignorant is just not knowing something.

On most rear ends, if you spin one axle, the one on the other side will spin the other direction. If you spin one axle and someone holds the other axle, the drive shaft should spin.

Not stupid just ignorant. Ignorant can be fixed, stupid can't!! Ignorant is just not knowing something.

Thanks Grits! I held one end and had the wife rotate the other, we're in bidness! Nice car you got there by the by, thanks again.

Back