1965 fury gas tank question

65fury1

Reaction score
I started the process of resurrecting my 65 fury the other day. I dropped the gas tank, was full of a real lot of sludge. I bought one of those 3 part gas tank restoration kits on eBay, since a new tank is no longer available. My question is, is there anything stronger I can use to clean out the tank than the cleaner they supplied me as the step one to the kit, because this stuff has been soaking in the tank over a day and upon looking in the tank this morning with a flashlight this morning before going to work, the whole bottom of the tank is still covered in a layer that reddish yellow slime.

Thanks

If you can find a old radiator shop they can steam it out. That is what I did 4 years ago and then sealed mine with red kote. Still doing well and no clogged fuel filters either.

I need to check out the condition of my 65 fury tank, it looks pretty good on the outside but it has been setting for several years. My question is how hard is it to remove ? It looks kinda tricky with that side spout on it ?

I used a gallon of acetone. I let it soak for a couple of days, rotating it in the morning and then at night. Before I poured it out, I taped a small wire brush to a wooden dowel and did my best to scrub the inside, the chain is a good idea as well. It worked pretty good, but I had little or no rust to deal with.

I would avoid vinegar on anything that is galvanized or zinc coated. It will dissolve the coating and then you have to deal with the new issue of flash rust. Evapo Rust, although expensive would be a better option for rust, IMHO. Leave it in for a day, then another teatment with acetone to finish up. I did not re-coat the tank.

I don’t know how much a shop charges to boil a tank, but I spent about $60 on the supplies, and a couple of sessions working on the cleaning. The Evapo Rust is discarded, but the acetone can still be used for other projects, so the total cost was not that bad.

There are many ways to achieve the same goal here, experiment and find what will work best for your application.

I removed the tank on my 65 Fury III a couple of days ago.
The fill tube slips out of the tank at the tank. There is a rubber grommet that seals the fill tube to the tank. The vent tube also in connected at the tank. I took my time and it was not a hard job of one person.

Last edited:
Back