1966 Chrysler 300 Power Window Problems

RKC

Reaction score
Do the motors come out by removing two bolts or are they spring loaded and therefore, I would need to remove the entire regulator? Are the motors grounded by the body of the motor itself or through one of the wires? Is there a way to remove the switches without cutting the wires? I don't think my switches are making contact. Not sure how to repair the switches. Thanks!

Have you visited www.mymopar.com and downloaded the Chrysler Factory Service Manual and also the 1968 Chrysler parts book for your car? It will detail the motor issues you are having. The service manual will also have the factory wiring schematics in it too.

There is a member in here who can repair the switches. Usually when they get flaky, the most-used button will start to droop down. Which is usually the lh frt window button.

The motors are bi-diectional. I suspect they might ground to the door/body. You can know by how many wires are in the connector.

What is the issue with the window motors?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Do the motors come out by removing two bolts or are they spring loaded and therefore, I would need to remove the entire regulator? Are the motors grounded by the body of the motor itself or through one of the wires? Is there a way to remove the switches without cutting the wires? I don't think my switches are making contact. Not sure how to repair the switches. Thanks!
I would remove the door cards on the ones you think are needing service and unplug the whip in between the switches and the motor so that you can easily introduce 12 volts to them as if they were on the bench. See how they work when taking all of the switches out of the equation and this is also a good time to thoroughly clean and re-grease the whole assembly. Still not working? Then maybe the motor needs additional attention or maybe it is your switch which do unplug easily but you have to do it gently as not to not damage the often brittle connectors.
@Devinism is our resident switch guru.

Do the motors come out by removing two bolts or are they spring loaded and therefore, I would need to remove the entire regulator?
No need to remove the regulator. The motor just unbolts and unplugs.
Are the motors grounded by the body of the motor itself or through one of the wires?
No grounding. The motors are fed positive and ground through the two wires. The polarity of the wires changes in the switch, simply reversing polarity for up or down.
Is there a way to remove the switches without cutting the wires? I don't think my switches are making contact. Not sure how to repair the switches. Thanks!
Yes, the white piece on the back of the switch unplugs from the switch. As mentioned, they can be rebuilt and @Devinism is your go-to for this.

Which door is it on? For 3 of the windows, you have the master switch on the drivers door and the switch on the door itself. Does it behave the same with both switches? (forget that if it's the drivers door)

It's my experience though that the biggest problem is the commutator in the motor just gets dirty and the brushes don't make good contact. The motors aren't too hard to pull apart and clean. Here's how I did mine.

Power Window Motor Repair

No need to remove the regulator. The motor just unbolts and unplugs.

No grounding. The motors are fed positive and ground through the two wires. The polarity of the wires changes in the switch, simply reversing polarity for up or down.

Yes, the white piece on the back of the switch unplugs from the switch. As mentioned, they can be rebuilt and @Devinism is your go-to for this.

Which door is it on? For 3 of the windows, you have the master switch on the drivers door and the switch on the door itself. Does it behave the same with both switches? (forget that if it's the drivers door)

It's my experience though that the biggest problem is the commutator in the motor just gets dirty and the brushes don't make good contact. The motors aren't too hard to pull apart and clean. Here's how I did mine.

Power Window Motor Repair
Big John: The passenger window and wing window work on the passenger door. None of the other windows work. Secondly, the switches for the passenger side windows located on the drivers door will not lower the passenger side two windows.

Big John: The passenger window and wing window work on the passenger door. None of the other windows work. Secondly, the switches for the passenger side windows located on the drivers door will not lower the passenger side two windows.
That does sound like a switch problem.

I second John's opinion.

BTW, I had to spend a buncha time and money getting the power windows in my 66 conv to work. I sent all the switches - including the master to @Devinism and the mother's to Jeff Carter in Washington State. Even bought a new passenger side quarter regulator from Murray Park. I hope your adventure won't be as horrible as mine. There are some good posts and a video in my "The Saga Begins" thread.

I have power at the relay on all four posts, but I do not have power at the window and wing window switches on the drivers door. I removed the two switches and did a test at the plug with my test light. No power. Any ideas? Thanks

Back