1966 IMPERIAL | WINDOW MOTORS

trasmon

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Has anyone ever had their window motors rebuilt? Can this be done? If so, any recommendations for vendors would be appreciated.

My windows barely move and require an incredible amount of assistance on my part to move up and down. I assume the motors are tired.

Thanks,

- Travis

I suggest lubing the window regulator first. Use a white lithium lube. Pull the door panels off and see if this clears the problem.
That’s a good start but he will likely need to get the motor/regulator assemblies on the bench so they can be seperated and cleaned thoroughly and re-greased. That includes getting inside the electric motor itself.

Hi everyone! Has anyone ever had their window motors rebuilt? Can this be done? If so, any recommendations for vendors would be appreciated.

My windows barely move and require an incredible amount of assistance on my part to move up and down. I assume the motors are tired.

Thanks,

- Travis
They aren't real difficult to get working. Mostly it's just a dirty commutator and brushes.

Power Window Motor Repair

Clean and lube every moving part of the mechanism before condemning the motors. They could need work also, but a working motor is last on the list not first.

When was the last time it was done?

And the motor can be taken apart, cleaned and lubed at home, pretty easily done if you are handy.

Thank you everyone for all the advice! I will plan to service the motors and regulators. After reading through the "Power Window Motor Repair" thread, I am sure this is my problem.

One last question, will the window motors from a 65 work on my 66? Did they use the same motors? I ask because I won't be near my car till July. I have an opportunity to buy a motor off of a 65. My thought was to learn how to do this with that motor and then swap it out with one of the motors that's currently in my car (most likely the driver's side). Does that sound like that would work?

I bought this for my '67. It fit.
The motors were generally the same from '67 to '72, as I understand it.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 220035.png

They aren't real difficult to get working. Mostly it's just a dirty commutator and brushes.

Power Window Motor Repair
I found some images of what the motor in my 66 looks like (See below). It appears to be a little different than the one that came out of your 70. Mine appears to be sealed at the bottom.

Do you know how would I access the internals in mine? I found this video on YouTube of a similar-looking motor that needed to have the rubber bottom cut open. Is this how mine would come part?

1714144373932.jpeg

Back