WANTED 1967 Newport power steering pump with reservoir

Status
Not open for further replies.
No these are pumps I pulled off old C body cars I parted. I can tell you they aren't locked up. Deffinately would put a seal kit in

I'd agree with C Body Bob, just put a seal kit in. In my experience the pumps are a robust item, I've never had a pump go bad, only to leak. If it was run dry, that's another issue, of course.

Gotta watch the brackets for the early round-neck TRW/Federal pumps, as those were a hinged type with a rubber bumper in the hinged area. Over the years the rubber bumper disentegrates, which allows the belt to loosen and flap against the water pump pulley, which leaves a tell-tale polished mark. You'll see that a lot on ebay pics of mid-60s Mopars. That is easily fixed with a small chunk of wood fitted in there and painted flat black, though. There's a later bracket that is a solid mount.

I'd agree with C Body Bob, just put a seal kit in. In my experience the pumps are a robust item, I've never had a pump go bad, only to leak. If it was run dry, that's another issue, of course.

Gotta watch the brackets for the early round-neck TRW/Federal pumps, as those were a hinged type with a rubber bumper in the hinged area. Over the years the rubber bumper disentegrates, which allows the belt to loosen and flap against the water pump pulley, which leaves a tell-tale polished mark. You'll see that a lot on ebay pics of mid-60s Mopars. That is easily fixed with a small chunk of wood fitted in there and painted flat black, though. There's a later bracket that is a solid mount.
Thanks for your advice, finally got it re-built, putting it in today. Going to use the piece of wood idea as well. Thanks again.......Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back