1967 Plymouth Fury III 318

This will be a long post update! I haven't posted since October of 2021!!

In January of 2022 my wife an I moved into our first house. In May of 2022 our son was born. Two pretty big life events to put the Fury on hold.

Prior to buying a house my car had been at my parents. Things were a little more difficult to work on there because they don't have a garage or carport of any kind. I had been working on everything on the street.

I brought the Fury to our new home in July of 2022 which has a garage!

While we settled into being new parents and working on house projects the Fury went neglected for a while, but at least it was sitting undercover now.

This past fall I decided to completely tear down the engine again and rebuild it (after reading the notes from @68PK21 440.6bbl). During the tear down I noticed a few things that were done incorrectly or half@$$. I thoroughly cleaned everything, honed the cylinders, cleaned the pistons, replaced freeze plugs, and reassembled everything noting all my clearances. It was a great learning experience. This is what I wanted to do initially, but I didn't have a garage and was trying to get the car running before my wedding in Jul of 2020 (haha, clearly my project has dragged on). If this thing does fire up and run in the end, I'll be over the moon. If it doesn't run, at least I can only blame myself this time.

I still didn't see anything glaring that would have caused the leaks. For a sanity check I had the heads magnafluxed and pressure tested again. No cracks were found and they hold pressure. This time around I used a Cometic head gasket rather than an Enginetech head gasket.

I repainted the engine. The last builders did a terrible one coat rattle can spray job that I was very disappointed with. This time around I prepped the block following Uncle Tony's method
How To Get A Beautiful, Long Lasting Paint Job On Your Engine For One Dollar, then hand brushing on the Rustoleum rusty metal primer, then using Duplicolor DE1632 Chrysler Industrial Red rattle can. I did two light coats, followed by two medium wet coats. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Aside from the engine, I decided I'm going to spray the engine bay. I have it stripped down and ready for paint. That is next on the hit list. I also stripped the carpet out and I'm working to put siless sound and heat reduction in it.

I've probably forgot somethings to mention, but things are looking up. I feel like I've got my mojo back and I've been eager to work on it again.

Here are a few pictures:
engine.jpg
IMG_3725.jpg
IMG_3738.jpg
IMG_3746.jpg
IMG_3750.jpg
IMG_3776.jpg
IMG_3780.jpg
IMG_4066.jpg
IMG_4338.jpg
IMG_4346.jpg

Last edited:
I started with surface rust on the floorboards. I wire wheeled it down. Then a coat of Ospho followed by Magnet Paints Chassis Saver I also put down some new seam sealer. Then one layer or Siless 80mil sound deadening mat followed by one layer of Siless 157mil heat insulation closed cell foam. It might be overkill, but I’m happy with how it turned out. Carpet next! I sat the carpet in just to see it in the car. I need to trim the sides and cut out seatbelt and high beam holes. It’s going to look good!

IMG_5202.jpeg
IMG_5371.jpeg
IMG_5378.jpeg
IMG_5375.jpeg
IMG_5447.jpeg
IMG_5448.jpeg
IMG_5460.jpeg
IMG_5461.jpeg
IMG_5390.jpeg
IMG_5391.jpeg

Oh, and I’m looking for the lower slider/roller that goes on the front channel of the rear quarter window. I looks like it’s the one that has the wheel on a swivel? Does anyone know the official name or part#?

The first picture is looking up at the piece and the second is looking down at it.

IMG_5408.jpeg
IMG_5406.jpeg

Oh, and I’m looking for the lower slider/roller that goes on the front channel of the rear quarter window. I looks like it’s the one that has the wheel on a swivel? Does anyone know the official name or part#?

The first picture is looking up at the piece and the second is looking down at it.

View attachment 649231View attachment 649232
Parts manual is your friend. Would that be #76 Roller 23-39-45?
I don't know how well these images will show in the forum or on anything less than a large screen computer but here goes.

1967.Window.Parts.001.jpg
1967.Window.Parts.002.jpg

@68PK21 440.6bbl Thanks for the resource. Somehow I didn't know I could access the parts manual online. I took a look and this is what I need.

1967 Factory Parts Book Section Number: 23-64-269
Part Description: Bracket With Roller And Guide, Quarter Window
Factory Part Number: 2486 058 aka 2486058
Number Used Per Car: Use As Required

Edit: Contacted Murray Park and he has one. Should be good to go.

Last edited:
Good work! I would have offered help regarding the roller, but I have only dealt with 4 door sedans. Keep up the good work! I will leverage from your work on the interior as I know I have a floor pan to replace on the driver’s side front, as well as most of the trunk.

Back