1968 New Yorker Valuation and opinions needed

cuda hunter

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to look at this car Friday. I am not really into the slab sides but I will help pass along a car if the price is right.
Ya never know, it might grow on me. However I have many other projects and I don't want to get stuck with a car that isn't really in my wheel house so I would like to have an understanding of what this car will sale for here if I pick it up. I'm not looking to make anything on it if I pick it up and just want to pass it along to someone with passion for this year/model.

Anyway, I know nothing about these cars.
I would like to have a basic idea of value.
No fender tag, yet.
Not sure about a Broadcast sheet.
It is titled and I have been told that it apparently runs and drives in a daily driver status.
It obviously needs tires.
This is a Colorado car so there will be very little to no rust.
Being a Colorado car I expect the interior to be sun baked and possibly rough.
I don't know what motor is in this but I do assume it's an automatic.

There is supposedly 3 new yorkers, all for sale. Not sure of the years (hoping 71's).
Other cars also but unsure of any details.

All I know is the fella picked up a ghost busters caddy wagon and needs to move some other stuff around for his new project.

Poncha2.jpg

Poncha 1.jpg

Completely off subject, but pics of the Caddy would be awesome! Please : )
I'm a complete Ecto 1 nut.

The only engine in a 68 was a 440.
From these two pics I would say $1500, but I'm a tight wad.
I'd love to have that bumper.
So, at 1500 no one on this site would be interested in the car due to shipping costs being 1500 plus to get it to where most of you live.
Sounds like if I can get it for 200 bucks it would be worth it. I bet it's gonna keep sitting where it is, or I rip the heart out and store it. ugh.

The only engine in a 68 was a 440.
From these two pics I would say $1500, but I'm a tight wad.
I'd love to have that bumper.
I agree you are a tightwad…:poke::lol:
if it runs, drives and has little to no rust it’s worth at least around 3k imo..

Last edited:
I would check for rust around the lower areas of the rear window and the trunk floor as the rear windows are prone to leaking. Hard to give a value based on 2 photos but I’m thinking $2500 - $3000.

The missing trim is a big negative...very hard to find in decent shape.

Is the only missing trim the rocker and bottom of door?
From the few pictures, of course.

I have several runners so this really isn't my style. I'm truly more of a fusie guy.
I'm hoping it can find a home with someone here.

I have several runners so this really isn't my style. I'm truly more of a fusie guy.
I'm hoping it can find a home with someone here.
In 2018 I paid $1800 for the Cicada, 1968 Monaco 500 383 with a wieand intake and a Holley vac secondary carb. Missing an alternator after they removed the A/C compressor. Had rust in the drivers rear quarter, extension, and trunk pan. Interior was pretty good, but the drivers seat stitching was starting to disappear.

I drove to Indianapolis to pick it up, then I put new tie rods and idler arm and tires on, swapped carb and radiator, added the alternator, and drove 10k miles over the next two years before passing it on to the next caretaker. I probably spent $4k on the car including the U-haul truck and trailer.

If it don't got a lot of rust, and a person wants to scrape it, paint it and drive it, then 4 to 5.
Tires still have blue on the white walls?

Last edited:
If the other side looks as straight as the side showing, AND there is little rust, I'm thinking that is a 2500-3000 car easily if it runs and drives.
Stuff like this always shows up when I'm broke (which is most of the time) or I'd seriously consider it for a driver.
Let us know how this turns out.

I got blown off for the day.
Will have to wait until next week to go and see the cars and get pics.
Hurry up and wait. He must not need the room that bad.

If you buy this, you will love it. You will become a slab-side convert. The same hood trim was missing on my '67 Newport Custom, so I used that self-adhesive rubber/chrome trim from Auto Zone, and it looks good and has been on there 4 years now.

113_1697.JPG

Slabs were the height of build quality for C bodies and arguably 68 was best as the bugs had been worked out at the end of the run...things dropped off badly from a quality standpoint on the Fusey's (gaps, door closure, materials). Formals started out roughly at Fusey quality levels but steadily fell during the production run as they made effort to lighten the cars plus the financial/ build quality issues at Chrysler, that I would argue were at its height in 78 just prior to the bail out.

I'm always struck by the difference between my 68 and 77 as they are parked together in the garage. The 68 doors close every time simply and correctly with more of a reassuring "click" than the Formal's "clang". I still love them all and have owned examples of every C body type, but the Slab has the others on quality.

For cudahunter: if you wind up getting a Slab, you may wind up falling in love with it, even if you're not a "Slab guy".

For cudahunter: if you wind up getting a Slab, you may wind up falling in love with it, even if you're not a "Slab guy".
Having owned both, I will say that my Fuseys seemed to corner flatter but the Slabs are more nimble-feeling due to being lighter.
Depending on how tall you are, if you are ~6ft or less, you'll find the elbow rests much more comfortably on the top of a slab door during window-down summertime driving.

It's a 2dr NY (pretty uncommon), presumably still has its 440, and will have a cool sculpted panel at the rear window/rear seat.
This car needs to get sanctuary somehow.
You were told it's in DD status -- if it's truly had maintenance and is limber/reliable - buy it.
Drive it for a bit so YOU can attest its condition to the next guy.

If it is needing roof-glass-trim parts, keep in mind the Fasttop is common to some 67-68 Plymouth and Dodge models also, and Newports can supply some Chrysler-specific parts.

If you could get this car for $2500, you shouldn't have any trouble re-selling it later.
If I were in the market for a car, and this car held no nasty surprises - I'd readily pay $1500 + 1500 shipping for it. (and probably more if more pictures showed more potential)
I would not be interested in a 383-2 Newport, but a 2dr NY? Hell yes. (nothign against Newports, it's just that a 2dr NY has a mystique)

Back