1969 Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/models

Dodgy Dick

Reaction score
Howdy Guys n Gals.
Not being familiar with all the USA/Canadian 69 "C" body derivatives can somebody offer a simple explanation in describing the differences between Polara's, Monaco's, Newport's, Fury's.
I assume most mechanical' s were common but body and jewelry different etc.
Thanks,
P.s And did other countries have different names for these models like my 69 Aussie dodge Phoenix is actually a re badged Canadian Fury 111??

EVERYthing you need...

PicsArt_01-24-10.29.10(1).jpg

The Custom 880 was never sold in Canada.

The H series of the Dodge C body line in 1965 and 1966 was the Polara 880 and the middle series was Polara 440. The Polara 880 used the Plymouth Fury III interiors and instrument panel while the Polara 440 used the Fury II.

The New Yorker Brougham was made 1972 to 1978 and the Newport Custom 1967 to 1976.

The Custom 880 was never sold in Canada.

The H series of the Dodge C body line in 1965 and 1966 was the Polara 880 and the middle series was Polara 440. The Polara 880 used the Plymouth Fury III interiors and instrument panel while the Polara 440 used the Fury II.

The New Yorker Brougham was made 1972 to 1978 and the Newport Custom 1967 to 1976.
If I remember correctly, when Stan was soliciting info to create this spreadsheet, it was restricted to US sold cars because it got overwhelming to try to include all derivations of all countries. I believe the Polara 880 and Polara 440 were Canada only.

Maybe someone from Canada can enhance Stan's spreadsheet to include Canadian models. Same with Australian and Europe. If we have any members from Mexico and/or South America, it would be interesting to see what models, variants were sold there.

I remember I added the 66 Canadian Dodge 880 only after someone showed me documentation. There was a heated discussion about it. Need to go back and review that whole thread.

Last edited:
Just an aside.
Does anyone know what initial sales figures were for 69?
I seem to recall sales started off slow for the new C-bodies and the sales bank was bulging at the seams.
The reason i ask is that dad ended up get 8 different brand new company cars that year. He typical ordered two new cars each year. In early Jan 69 he was told to pick two new C-bodies out of the sales bank and turn in his ordered cars. This continued through the year every couple months. While as a kid it was interesting to keep changing vehicles i was bummed cause the original cars dad ordered were sweet. A loaded 383 VIP and loaded small block Barracuda notchback.

The 1969 C bodies were a disappointment, especially for Dodge. Comparing 1969 vs 1968 production for the US market :
1968 - 1969 : % difference
Fury - 398,057 - 356,305 : -10.5%
Polara/Monaco - 148,664 - 130,287 : -12.4%
Chrysler - 234,513 - 233,090 : -0.6%

1970 and 1971 production slid again, although 1971 Polara/Monaco increased slightly.

I can remember the write ups on the new 1969 models, and some reports mentioned that GM was planning on coming out with rounded side designs for their 1969 B and C body models but decided to postpone them until 1971. The production 1969 GM models were just facelifted 1968's.

When rumours began about the 1971 models the big one for Chrysler C bodies was that the facelift planned for 1971 was being postponed until 1972 due to the slow sales of the 1969-70 models. They had not yet amortized the tooling.

When GM's 1971 fuselage response was released for 1971 they had the low Engel belt line that Chrysler dropped on their fuselage models for 1969.

Imo -69 Chrysler is best looking of that year C-bodies. It looks like big brother of Charger with loop bumpers. Dodge and Plymouth looks like copy of GMs.
-70 Dodge and Plymouth jumped on looped bumper wagon and they look good.
-71 There was new B-bodies what make C-bodies look old.

Imo -69 Chrysler is best looking of that year C-bodies. It looks like big brother of Charger with loop bumpers. Dodge and Plymouth looks like copy of GMs.
-70 Dodge and Plymouth jumped on looped bumper wagon and they look good.
-71 There was new B-bodies what make C-bodies look old.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of all the Fuselage cars but IMO the Chrysler looks like more of a copy of 69 GM's than Dodge or Plymouth. I'm assuming you're talking about the Impala/caprice but in 69 they also had a "loop" bumper.
impala.JPG

Did they copy Chrysler or did Chrysler copy them? I think the reality is that all the car companies were using the same market research and trying to stay ahead of the ever increasing NHTSA.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/communications/pdf/Lives-Saved-Tech-Timeline.pdf

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of all the Fuselage cars but IMO the Chrysler looks like more of a copy of 69 GM's than Dodge or Plymouth. I'm assuming you're talking about the Impala/caprice but in 69 they also had a "loop" bumper.
View attachment 111346
Did they copy Chrysler or did Chrysler copy them? I think the reality is that all the car companies were using the same market research and trying to stay ahead of the ever increasing NHTSA.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/communications/pdf/Lives-Saved-Tech-Timeline.pdf
They all copy all. Even now days they still.

The real styling feature of the fuselage shape was the elimination of the beltline "shelf" and flush curved side glass. Particularly noticable at the "C" pillar where it flows right into the quarter panel. Previous "C" models had a 3" to 4" ledge at the beltline like my Monaco. The wider greenhouse made the vehicle appear wider. I've read that styling fell in love with that detail from the original Toronado.

In 65 and 66 there were Polara 440 models as well as Polara 880's in Canada
Polaras are Polaras are Polaras. Makes no difference what they tack on to the Polara name.
EXAMPLE... Fury. I, II, III, etc, They are all Furys.

There were some minor differences in the model designations on the 1969 to 1973 Dodge full-size cars between the U.S. and Canadian market. I am not sure abouth the 1972 Canadian models.

1969 U.S.
- Polara
- Polara 500 (two-doors only)
- Monaco
(there was a "500" emblem on Monaco two-doors with optional bucket seats)
(there was a "Brougham" option on four-doors Monacos consisting of vinyl top and 50/50 split bench seat)
1969 Canada
- Polara
- Polara 500
- Monaco
- Monaco 500 (two-doors)
- Monaco Brougham (four-doors)
1970 U.S.
- Polara
- Polara Custom
- Monaco
1970 Canada
- Polara
- Polara Custom
- Monaco
- Monaco 500
- Monaco 500 Brougham
1971 U.S.
- Polara
- Polara Custom
- Polara Brougham
- Monaco
1971 Canada
- Polara Special
- Polara
- Polara Custom
- Monaco
- Monaco Brougham
1972 U.S.
- Polara Special
- Polara
- Polara Custom
- Monaco (with optional Brougham package)
1972 Canada
?
1973 U.S.
- Polara
- Polara Custom
- Polara
- Monaco
- Monaco Brougham
1973 Canada
- Polara Special
- Polara
- Polara Custom
- Monaco
- Monaco Brougham

Corrections / Clarifications / Useless Information :

1969 CDN - Monaco 500 (DP) and Monaco Brougham (DS) models were unique to Canada.

1969-1970 USA - Monaco 500 was an option package (A75) on the Monaco series

1969-1973 USA - Monaco Brougham was an option package (A76) on the Monaco series

1970 USA - Mid-year Polara Special (DE) in sedan and wagon. Slant six available on Sedan (A71). A total of 6,961 Polara Specials were built, 6 and V8. The American Dodge C body began a move down the price ladder with the 1970 Polara Special. In 1971 the Polara Special became the Polara, 1970 Polara becoming the 1971 Polara Custom, and the 1970 Polara Custom becoming Polara Brougham.

1971 - USA - Slant six engine available on Polara (DE) sedan (66 built ), Polara 2dr hardtop (19 built) and Polara Taxi (1 built). Also, 2 Polara Special (DS) slant six sedans were built for someone in the US on special order. No V8 Polara Special models built for US market.

1970-1973 CDN - Brougham was a package (A76) on the 1970 Monaco 500 (DP), 1971-72 Monaco (DH) and 1973 Monaco (DP) although Chrysler Canada pushed it as if it was a separate series.

1972 USA - No Polara Special

1972 CDN -
DS - Polara Special
DL - Polara
DM - Polara Custom
DH - Monaco
DH - Monaco with Brougham option

The lowest priced Canadian market C body Dodge used the Fury I interior with Dodge instrument panel be it Polara (1967-70), Polara Special (1971-73) or Monaco Special (1974-75). (1975 Monaco Special used Gran Fury Special interiors.)

Back