1969 Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/models

Corrections / Clarifications / Useless Information :

1969 CDN - Monaco 500 (DP) and Monaco Brougham (DS) models were unique to Canada.

1969-1970 USA - Monaco 500 was an option package (A75) on the Monaco series

1969-1973 USA - Monaco Brougham was an option package (A76) on the Monaco series

1970 USA - Mid-year Polara Special (DE) in sedan and wagon. Slant six available on Sedan (A71). A total of 6,961 Polara Specials were built, 6 and V8. The American Dodge C body began a move down the price ladder with the 1970 Polara Special. In 1971 the Polara Special became the Polara, 1970 Polara becoming the 1971 Polara Custom, and the 1970 Polara Custom becoming Polara Brougham.

1971 - USA - Slant six engine available on Polara (DE) sedan (66 built ), Polara 2dr hardtop (19 built) and Polara Taxi (1 built). Also, 2 Polara Special (DS) slant six sedans were built for someone in the US on special order. No V8 Polara Special models built for US market.

1970-1973 CDN - Brougham was a package (A76) on the 1970 Monaco 500 (DP), 1971-72 Monaco (DH) and 1973 Monaco (DP) although Chrysler Canada pushed it as if it was a separate series.

1972 USA - No Polara Special

1972 CDN -
DS - Polara Special
DL - Polara
DM - Polara Custom
DH - Monaco
DH - Monaco with Brougham option

The lowest priced Canadian market C body Dodge used the Fury I interior with Dodge instrument panel be it Polara (1967-70), Polara Special (1971-73) or Monaco Special (1974-75). (1975 Monaco Special used Gran Fury Special interiors.)

I love Reading Bills stuff, always leaves me scratching my head, yet wanting more

In 65 and 66 there were Polara 440 models as well as Polara 880's in Canada

Polaras are Polaras are Polaras. Makes no difference what they tack on to the Polara name.
EXAMPLE... Fury. I, II, III, etc, They are all Furys.

Old Cars Canada: 1965 Dodge

I was an active participant in the "Custom 880" discussion about that model hanging on ANOTHER year - 1966 - in Canada. Mr C produced a picture of the 1966 "880" that a family member owned so it was obvious the car existed.

Based on info above, and relooking at the older thread, I am supporting that YES, there was an "880" in Canada -- in 1966 -- as point out in this thread -- and YES it was a "Polara 880". I cannot find a Canadian brochure showing it though but as always i defer to experts/former owners who know.

I am still with commando1 that "Polara" is a sufficient name to cover the Canadian 880's in 1966 - AT THIS LEVEL of chart detail -- just like we did with the Furys.

I also recall we started and ended the first chart effort with an objective focused on the "common person" finding usefulness in the chart. simple, easy, accurate.

We knew "experts" would certainly need several more levels of detail (e.g., VIN level by model) depending on their purposes (restoration, parts searches, etc). That task was and still seems to be VERY difficult to put into a "Mega chart".

I am not arguing FOR or AGAINST the "Mega Chart" .. just applauding anyone willing to take on that assignment :)

Appreciate commando1 for leading and sustaining the first effort.:thankyou:

Last edited:
I have no problem with the chart as it is now, with all Polaras clumped together. I was giving some information to flesh things out a bit.

The chart had a 1966 CUSTOM 880 listed as being Canadian and highlighted in a different colour. I pointed out that there was no Custom 880 in 1966 (or any year really) but there was a Polara 880. The 1966 Custom 880 was removed from the chart.

If anyone wants a detailed chart I do have one listing all the series for the C bodies from 1965 through 1978. Have another one I started but never go around to finishing for the 1957 to 1964 era.

And I thank commando1 for taking care of all the details. Probably driving him crazy.

Probably driving him crazy.
Thanks, Bill.
I used to get furious at all the errors I would see time after time. I got annoyed at the bastardization of the Fury nameplate. Fury 1, Fury ii, Sports Fury 3.... you get the idea. This was from people who OWNED them!
The next thing that peeved me were the applications assigned to parts drove me bonkers. "Fits: 69-74 Newport" or, "Fits: 73-76 Monaco" And these were from manufacturers descriptions!
Then there were the posts asking, Will the rear window of a 75 New Yorker fit my 68 300?
Also there were all the "1964 Chrysler C-bodies".
The most maddening was even I wasnt sure about the correct 74-75 Fury models.
It came down to that the term 1963 Grand Fury Sport iii Custom 500 C-body wouldnt bother even FCBO members.
Yah, I'm anal but, dammit, this is a forum to learn about C-bodies, not a forum to be enablers to the unwashed masses.
The Spreadsheet was no easy task. I needed input from The Best and the Brightest and even getting it from them caused squabbles. The objective was clear. I wanted something where a completely enebriated Chevy guy could walk up to any Mopar, look at the badge, look at the spreadsheet and could immediately know if it was a C-body or not.

I remember (very humorously) the agony I had with the Fury VIP. I always deferred to factory documentation as the final judge. Though it was controversial with most people helping me, as far as ALL the literature was concerned, the VIP was never referenced by Plymouth as another model of the Fury. It was a Plymouth VIP. Period. You wont find one FURY badge anywhere on A VIP. To me it was as obvious as Dodge Polara and Dodge Monoco.

The Canadian crap was a head banger. :BangHead:

Last edited:
Thanks, Bill.
I used to get furious at all the errors I would see time after time. I got annoyed at the bastardization of the Fury nameplate. Fury 1, Fury ii, Sports Fury 3.... you get the idea. This was from people who OWNED them!
The next thing that peeved me were the applications assigned to parts drove me bonkers. "Fits: 69-74 Newport" or, "Fits: 73-76 Monaco" And these were from manufacturers descriptions!
Then there were the posts asking, Will the rear window of a 75 New Yorker fit my 68 300?
Also there were all the "1964 Chrysler C-bodies".
The most maddening was even I wasnt sure about the correct 74-75 Fury models.
It came down to that the term 1963 Grand Fury Sport iii Custom 500 C-body wouldnt bother even FCBO members.
Yah, I'm anal but, dammit, this is a forum to learn about C-bodies, not a forum to be enablers to the unwashed masses.
The Spreadsheet was no easy task. I needed input from The Best and the Brightest and even getting it from them caused squabbles. The objective was clear. I wanted something where a completely enebriated Chevy guy could walk up to any Mopar, look at the badge, look at the spreadsheet and could immediately know if it was a C-body or not.

I remember (very humorously) the agony I had with the Fury VIP. I always deferred to factory documentation as the final judge. Though it was controversial with most people helping me, as far as ALL the literature was concerned, the VIP was never referenced by Plymouth as another model of the Fury. It was a Plymouth VIP. Period. You wont find one FURY badge anywhere on A VIP. To me it was as obvious as Dodge Polara and Dodge Monoco.

The Canadian crap was a head banger. :BangHead:

Thanks Fury Pursuit. At the 5:38 mark of the video we have the question answered I asked awhile back. Passenger side, for sure, is from the back going forward red white and blue!

The VIP IS a Fury Model AND it comes with a Super Commando 383
It certainly is! Just as a Fury I is or a Suburban is, or a Sport Fury is, etc., etc,.....

In addition, you could order your Plymouth Fury "Very Important Plymouth" with a 440 Super Commando, Kelsey Hayes aluminum mag style wheels, and fiberglass performance tires!!!

Last edited:
Although the VIP was part of the Fury line, it was never referred to as a "Plymouth Fury VIP", just "Plymouth VIP". Even in the film the announcer refers to "VIP" and not "Fury VIP" and around the 5 minute mark he shows the new VIP split bench that you can use to "Dress up your VIP". And that seat can be used to upgrade your Fury III.

The 1967 Plymouth Fury brochure has a side view of a red and black VIP 4 door hardtop VIP on pages 2 and 3. The photo is labelled "Plymouth VIP : Our most lavish temptation". And no where in the brochure can you find the words "Fury VIP". Fury I, Fury II, Fury III, but not Fury VIP.

Plymouth obviously considered the VIP part of the Fury line, but never put Fury and VIP together in print.

Bill
Vancouver, BC

Although the VIP was part of the Fury line, it was never referred to as a "Plymouth Fury VIP", just "Plymouth VIP". Even in the film the announcer refers to "VIP" and not "Fury VIP" and around the 5 minute mark he shows the new VIP split bench that you can use to "Dress up your VIP". And that seat can be used to upgrade your Fury III.

The 1967 Plymouth Fury brochure has a side view of a red and black VIP 4 door hardtop VIP on pages 2 and 3. The photo is labelled "Plymouth VIP : Our most lavish temptation". And no where in the brochure can you find the words "Fury VIP". Fury I, Fury II, Fury III, but not Fury VIP.

Plymouth obviously considered the VIP part of the Fury line, but never put Fury and VIP together in print.

Bill
Vancouver, BC
THANK YOU!

The 1967 Plymouth FURY Brochure.

00-1-2.jpg
00-1-3.jpg

00-2-0.jpg
00-2-1.jpg

1969 Plymouth FURY Brochure

00-2-1-1.jpg
00-2-1-2.jpg
00-2-3.jpg
00-2-4.jpg
00-2-5.jpg
00-2-6.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like you guys are talking about the same thing here:

This is, I believe, the nomenclature of the Plymouth Fury Line.

Make: Plymouth

Line: Fury

Model: (name of car)

Obviously the Plymouth VIP is a Fury. The reason there isn't a Fury badge on the car is because the MODEL name is VIP. It's the same for every Plymouth model.

The Plymouth Suburban doesn't have a Fury badge either, just like it's "line mate" the Plymouth VIP. Obliviously they are both models in the Fury line.

Neither did a Sport Suburban. It doesn't have a Fury badge on it anywhere, but it does have a Sport Suburban badge.

The Plymouth Sport Fury isn't called a Fury Sport Fury. It's a Plymouth Sport Fury; the model (name of car). The Plymouth Fury I, isn't a Fury Fury I it's a Fury I.

That's why there is no "Fury" nomenclature on a VIP or a Sport Suburban, there shouldn't be. Because it's not named a Fury Fury I, or Fury Sport Fury, or Fury Suburban, its' name is Suburban or Fury I or VIP, of the Fury line, of the Plymouth make.

At least that how I understand it, but I may be totally wrong, but I don't think so.

Last edited:
Guess I may be the only one a tad lost here ..so forgive me. I am just an eager learner.

How'd we get back to the original discussion on the VIP we had a year ago ?

The Plymouth VIP is a C-Body, top of the FURY line, and badged as the Plymouth VIP. The "Fury" name does NOT appear on the VIP anywhere. It was clearly marketed as the "Plymouth VIP". All that seems to be without debate as the paper trail fully confirms this, OR, is that still/again under debate?

Jane or John Q. Public sees a "Plymouth VIP" on the street, or has one in grandpa's barn, etc. s/he knows its a C-body (just like a '68 Polara, '66 New Yorker, or '69 Fury, etc is a C-body) and s/he could refer to "Chart 1.0" to I/D it as such.

Are we now into trying to figure out how a "VIP" model was equipped vs. a "Fury I, Fury II, etc. " model using "Chart 1.0"? It obviously can't be done as that was never the intention for "Chart 1.0".

So i guess we are moving into "Mega Chart" territory -- the place where many wanted Chart 1.0 to go BUT no one volunteered to take that on.

IF that means all VINS, for all models, all years, all regions, all options, etc. .. that would be quite useful but also quite a feat to put together :)

Guess I may be the only one a tad lost here ..so forgive me. I am just an eager learner.

How'd we get back to the original discussion on the VIP we had a year ago ?

The Plymouth VIP is a C-Body, top of the FURY line, and badged as the Plymouth VIP. The "Fury" name does NOT appear on the VIP anywhere. It was clearly marketed as the "Plymouth VIP". All that seems to be without debate as the paper trail fully confirms this, OR, is that still/again under debate?

Jane or John Q. Public sees a "Plymouth VIP" on the street, or has one in grandpa's barn, etc. s/he knows its a C-body (just like a '68 Polara, '66 New Yorker, or '69 Fury, etc is a C-body) and s/he could refer to "Chart 1.0" to I/D it as such.

Are we now into trying to figure out how a "VIP" model was equipped vs. a "Fury I, Fury II, etc. " model using "Chart 1.0"? It obviously can't be done as that was never the intention for "Chart 1.0".

So i guess we are moving into "Mega Chart" territory -- the place where many wanted Chart 1.0 to go BUT no one volunteered to take that on.

IF that means all VINS, for all models, all years, all regions, all options, etc. .. that would be quite useful but also quite a feat to put together :)

The VIP is part of the Fury line as is a Suburban, Sport Suburban, Sport Fury, Fury I, II, III, Pursuit, Emergency Wagon, et. al.

I, The Grand Poopah, caretaker of the Sacred Scroll, has ruled that the Sacred Scroll shall remain unaltered in its present state and is now sealed insided the Arc of the Covenant. Death to those that seek to seek to destroy its credibility as was determined by The Lord himself and his Council of Angels.

The Bible and all its religious beliefs are incorrect, the C body list might as well be full of myth and incorrectness too.

Back