For Sale 1969 Imperial Crown Limo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that extension looks very dodgy, unless it's been patched up afterwards.

What do you guys expect for 80,000.00 dollars???:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Anyone notice anything in that front end shot? '70 grille and signal lights. Compare to my sig.

This is not suspicious and was commonplace among the Stageway and Hess and Eisenhardt Fuselage limos. The elite wanted to be seen in the latest thing, so the grilles/ rear bumpers were often swapped out to keep up with the times.

Here's a pic from the movie "Pursuit" (Ben Gazzara, Martin Sheen- 1972) with a 69 (notice the shark gill turning lights) updated to look like a 71.

i325842.jpg

I'd give him 10% of asking

You and me both. I am no fan of Stageway's work. Interesting that the fender tag has so much "99" and "999" on it. A good clue that it was destined to be a limo from the get go. It's got that going for it, but........

My 10 cents. This car is worth some bucks as it is a 1 of 6 car and extremely well preserved. If a freakin' Cuda or Charger is worth 30-40k, then this car is worth something too.

However- if you want 80k it had better be PERFECT. No " blemishes on the hood".

Ghia Crown Imperial limousines are nicer, built in the traditional method, with the back seat passengers sitting behind where the rear door ends. This one is really not much different in style to airport stretch cars, not as 'classy'. However; being a 1 of 6 Imperial, I wouldn't mind owning such a rare car, but $80K?
In comparison, a few years back a 1964 Ghia limo in excellent condition sold for $93,500 1964 CHRYSLER IMPERIAL LIMO BY GHIA - 66311- Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions

The Ghia limos were built from two door cars. These Stageways are stretched four door sedans. The back doors are still stock, which if nothing else makes them way too small for easy entry/exit from the car. If somebody had done a limo conversion on a two door Imperial, then you'd have had something memorable. A previous poster got it right. This is an airport piece at most.

I wouldn't hold that against this car. By the late 60's-70's there was a move away from using coupes for stretches. Like the Lincoln below. The 69 Imperial in the thread here is representative of it's times.

Let's not disparage the last of the Imperial limos. They were special cars.

fab662fbb49f0b78d5184ef394e6216e.jpg

I wouldn't hold that against this car. By the late 60's-70's there was a move away from using coupes for stretches. Like the Lincoln below. The 69 Imperial in the thread here is representative of it's times.

Let's not disparage the last of the Imperial limos. They were special cars.

View attachment 116328

Agree that the coachbuilders were moving to this style of modification (and still use it today). It's a cost effective method to enable a sedan to be stretched. I'm a fan of Imperials no matter what. I really wish I could raise my enthusiasm for these cars to the same level that I have for the Ghias or even the factory built cars up through 1956. I'll keep trying.

As a side note, it was thought that there were no Formal Imperial limo conversions, but they were made by Phaeton Coach Company. Likely the numbers are in the single digit territory. I'd love to find/ restore one for posterity:

Phaeton Custom Conversions Limos.jpg

As a side note, it was thought that there were no Formal Imperial limo conversions, but they were made by Phaeton Coach Company. Likely the numbers are in the single digit territory. I'd love to find/ restore one for posterity:

View attachment 116329

Could you give us a cropped closeup of the Imperial? I'm curious as to what's on the C-pillar.

It'd want to be good for $80K and you have to wonder how it really is after the Limousine company had used it up.

Takes balls to ask that price if you ask me. Any car that has been stretched into a limo with 106k on it has got to have the chassis stressed to the max, especially a unibody of that vintage, no matter how they sugar coat it. It must creak like a 4 masted square rigger going down the road.
I've seen some pretty nice looking used limos for sale and they're all pretty cheap, must be a reason.

80K? if that's the case then this sinatra imperial that was owned by hope must be worth a fortune
1982-Chrysler-Imperial-Bob-Hope.jpg

There's really no comparing a Ghia-built to a US-built. I have a book on Virgil Exner and there is a lot in there about the Ghia showcars and limos - truly special cars, built by sensational craftsman. Chrysler lost a ton of money on each Ghia limo according to the book.

There's really no comparing a Ghia-built to a US-built. I have a book on Virgil Exner and there is a lot in there about the Ghia showcars and limos - truly special cars, built by sensational craftsman. Chrysler lost a ton of money on each Ghia limo according to the book.
What's the title of the book?

80K is going to sit for a long time. You'd have to find the 2 or 3 people in the world who have the means, are car guys, and have an interest. 6K to 8K is way to low. If the car is as nice as it appears to be, it would be worth 8 to 9 without being a limo. If the seller was serious, they would offer it at 20 to 30K. I'd like to know what the NY owner paid from the Portland owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back