1969 L Code 440HP Sport Fury

What a great car. That has to close to the top of the rare chart. I hope to see more of this one in the future

I have a B7 blue 1969 Polara 500 convertible with a black interior and black top with the 440HP engine w/o a/c and it has the dual snorkel air cleaner. So did Plymouth and Dodge have different air cleaners, or is mine a replacement for the original then? Mine has significant rust, and I am sure doesn't look like Trev's does when we get to see it in total!
I am pretty sure the Unsilenced cleaner was a Plymouth thing only so I would have to concur with Fury Pursuit on this. My only surprise is that the 440HP could come in anything less than a Sport Fury.

Been awhile glad to see your posting. Dale must have you busy being caretaker...:rolleyes:
Yeah I have been keeping my head down, not a lot goes on when it is cold here. I have written two books in the interim and am proofreading right now. AS for Dale and his ever expanding collection, all I can say is, my workshop is full and he is taking a breather....Lol.

Sorry, I've been swamped lately but I can tell you that my car was sold in Blythe CA. It was a Sold Car so I assume a sales bank car which would indicate that the ship to location would have been known at the time of production.

The build sheet indicates it was built to US specs. Does anyone know if cars intended to ship to CA would have built to CA specs on the build sheet? The reason I ask is that my car also has the unsilenced air cleaner. To further confuse the issue, both the 69 Dodge and 69 Plymouth sales brochures indicates that the 383 Magnum/Super Commando should have unsilenced but the 440 Magnum/Super Commando should have the Dual Snorkel.

Now, having said all that, I'm positive I have Chrysler documentation that my car, or maybe Sport Fury's in general did come with the Unsilenced air cleaner. I'm still trying to find the documentation, unfortunately I don't have my files stored on the computer in as organized manner as I'd like. As soon as I find it, I'll post it.

BTW, my car was built at the Belvidere plant. Another possible correlation would be the Engine plants. Mound Road or Trenton. Does anyone know if 440 HP's were only built at one engine plant or could it be that there was a difference depending on which plant the engine came from?

I'm not aware that broadcast sheet shipping information would identify a jurisdiction inside the U.S.

Please keep in mind that sales literature is a notoriously poor source of product information. I could relate ad nauseam the nearly endless ways that mistakes can creep into sales literature, not to be caught until the second million copies of the piece in question have been printed. Dealer order guides and to a lesser extent final editions of parts catalogues are better and far less likely to be wrong. What is likely to be most correct are the assembly plant graphics books, which detail how the plant is supposed to put the car together. Maybe somebody can reprint my blurb about graphics books?

I truly do hope you can find the documentation you're referring to with regard to aircleaners.

As to engine sourcing, I would be willing to bet that all "B" engines were built in the same plant. I seriously doubt that "B" engine volumes would have warranted production in two engine plants. Chrysler was notoriously engine plant poor and just didn't have the luxury to produce engines in two plants. It would have cut into plant capacity and Chrysler was all about maximizing that when ever possible.

Hi Kmccabe56,

I'm not sure if the A and B engines had different part numbers for the fan, my only statement was that there were multiple configurations of coolant components on C Bodies as well as other parts dependent on the options of the car. ie several different radiators, fans, ect.

Oh, for sure. Pulleys, belts, radiators, shrouds all probably came in a Heinz57 variety. If there are enough guys with broadcast sheets, it would be easy work to determine what cars got what pieces by studying these sheets. Even parts catalogues would answer some of the questions.

I am pretty sure the Unsilenced cleaner was a Plymouth thing only so I would have to concur with Fury Pursuit on this. My only surprise is that the 440HP could come in anything less than a Sport Fury.

You're more knowledgeable about these cars specifically than I am, but I'm just surprised that with all else being equal (cop car, 440hp etc), a Plymouth would get an unsilenced aircleaner and a Dodge would not.

Ditto for a 440HP. If the fleet sales people found a buyer who wanted 10 base Fury two door sedans, with a 440hp, they'd sure as hell make it happen. Remember that if somebody wants a car (or cars) that are simply a different assemblage of existing parts, there's no reason the assembly plant couldn't build them. In the early 70s, a dealer in Calgary wanted to order a bunch of LL23 Dart Swinger Special two door hardtops - with a 340. All the sales literature and even the order guides said the 340 only came in a LH23 Swinger. But Windsor built him a bunch in 1970, again in 1971 and for a third time in 1972. They were basically the Road Runners of the Swinger body - bare bones interior and exterior, but with muscle. Back before emission and crash standards became so fanatical, the assembly plants could and did do stuff like this.

Couple of engine bay pics of my 69 Polara 500

Can we get a good clear photo of the tag on the rad yoke? It's a pretty informative hunk of metal. Next best thing to a broadcast sheet.

You're more knowledgeable about these cars specifically than I am, but I'm just surprised that with all else being equal (cop car, 440hp etc), a Plymouth would get an unsilenced aircleaner and a Dodge would not.

Ditto for a 440HP. If the fleet sales people found a buyer who wanted 10 base Fury two door sedans, with a 440hp, they'd sure as hell make it happen. Remember that if somebody wants a car (or cars) that are simply a different assemblage of existing parts, there's no reason the assembly plant couldn't build them. In the early 70s, a dealer in Calgary wanted to order a bunch of LL23 Dart Swinger Special two door hardtops - with a 340. All the sales literature and even the order guides said the 340 only came in a LH23 Swinger. But Windsor built him a bunch in 1970, again in 1971 and for a third time in 1972. They were basically the Road Runners of the Swinger body - bare bones interior and exterior, but with muscle. Back before emission and crash standards became so fanatical, the assembly plants could and did do stuff like this.

I remember someone talking about that....do you remember which Dealer it was? FCA will still build special runs if enough vehicles are ordered but it is all managed through HQ rather than the Regional office and usually by the Fleet Dept. Bank orders or "Buzz" vehicles are all ordered by Windsor to their specs not the Dealers so we end up with lots of "Aberrations" from the parts bins. We actually order low optioned Rams put Leather/graphics/Mopar accessories on them here and call them "XYZ" Edition we do the same with Grand Cherokees. Custom orders like this lets us stand out from the rest of the crowd...

I'm not aware that broadcast sheet shipping information would identify a jurisdiction inside the U.S.

Hi kmccabe56,

I agree regarding the inaccuracies of sales literature but all information should be considered while researching. Not all info in the sales literature is incorrect.

I'm curious about the broadcast sheet because, we know that California cars were specially equipped such as emissions. That's why I raised the question. How did they know when producing the car where the final destination would be. I was speculating that this information may be on the build sheet as that is what they built the car from so if special California equipment was necessary, it may have been indicated on the build sheet.

The other possibility is that it was built into the order and so it wasn't necessary to be on the build sheet but my understanding was that not all cars were built for a specific dealer or region. Build to stock instead of build to order from a manufacturing perspective. How would they know which build to stock cars could be shipped to California..

Hi kmccabe56,

I agree regarding the inaccuracies of sales literature but all information should be considered while researching. Not all info in the sales literature is incorrect.

I'm curious about the broadcast sheet because, we know that California cars were specially equipped such as emissions. That's why I raised the question. How did they know when producing the car where the final destination would be. I was speculating that this information may be on the build sheet as that is what they built the car from so if special California equipment was necessary, it may have been indicated on the build sheet.

The other possibility is that it was built into the order and so it wasn't necessary to be on the build sheet but my understanding was that not all cars were built for a specific dealer or region. Build to stock instead of build to order from a manufacturing perspective. How would they know which build to stock cars could be shipped to California..

Can't speak as to 45 years ago but "Broadcast" sheets today include Build to "Region" specs in our case Alberta. Invoicing includes the Not for Export disclaimer as built to Canadian specs. I can only assume back then a similar system was in place as many other build characteristics are still the same today. The order number on the fender tag denoted Country destination if i recall correctly. US order numbers are easy to differentiate from Canadian orders even today by the order prefix.

image.jpg
Can we get a good clear photo of the tag on the rad yoke? It's a pretty informative hunk of metal. Next best thing to a broadcast sheet.
Right now I can't find a fender tag pic but here is the sheet I found. Never seen a broadcast sheet like this but ill take it!

So, the "A" and "B" engine cars with a/c got different 18½ x 2½ x 7 blade fans? What was different? One with a clutch and one not?

Applications vary but yes, there is a different fan and drive. Sometimes the length is different and sometimes the pitch is different. The max cool package fan, for trailer towing and 69 A12 application, is a thermal fan and the standard a/c drive is a clutch fan.

The build sheet indicates it was built to US specs. Does anyone know if cars intended to ship to CA would have built to CA specs on the build sheet? The reason I ask is that my car also has the unsilenced air cleaner. To further confuse the issue, both the 69 Dodge and 69 Plymouth sales brochures indicates that the 383 Magnum/Super Commando should have unsilenced but the 440 Magnum/Super Commando should have the Dual Snorkel.

Now, having said all that, I'm positive I have Chrysler documentation that my car, or maybe Sport Fury's in general did come with the Unsilenced air cleaner. I'm still trying to find the documentation, unfortunately I don't have my files stored on the computer in as organized manner as I'd like. As soon as I find it, I'll post it.

BTW, my car was built at the Belvidere plant. Another possible correlation would be the Engine plants. Mound Road or Trenton. Does anyone know if 440 HP's were only built at one engine plant or could it be that there was a difference depending on which plant the engine came from?

You can tell from some 69 broadcast sheets if the car came with N97 noise reduction package.

Back