1969 L Code 440HP Sport Fury

The scheduled production date is just that....a SCHEDULED date. Cars were built earlier or later than the scheduled date for a wide variety of reasons. The actual assembly can be no earlier than the latest date coded part. Some package cars (A12 6bbl cars, Superbirds) only have one or two SPDs but were built over time.

Some broadcast sheets appear to show an actual construction date.

Once the MONTH YEAR safety sticker come into effect, one can find instances of the SPD being in a following or previous month.

Sales bank cars were a way to keep the line moving between ordered cars and to have some inventory available for dealers.

Agree. Every assembly plant had an area between the paint shop and final assembly where finished bodies were stored. A body could exist in this area for as little as a few minutes to as much as a few weeks.

Yes I understand all of that.

Paperwork generated first.

SPD generated in that paperwork.

Said car built.

Said car shipped.

To find exactly what day said car built is difficult.

On a C Body, a date on stub is a very good indicator of that date, along with associated parts.

If you have the shipping invoice and window sticker you can nail it down.

Last edited:
The scheduled production date is just that....a SCHEDULED date. Cars were built earlier or later than the scheduled date for a wide variety of reasons. The actual assembly can be no earlier than the latest date coded part. Some package cars (A12 6bbl cars, Superbirds) only have one or two SPDs but were built over time.

Some broadcast sheets appear to show an actual construction date.

Once the MONTH YEAR safety sticker come into effect, one can find instances of the SPD being in a following or previous month.

Sales bank cars were a way to keep the line moving between ordered cars and to have some inventory available for dealers.

Guess what that last date coded part is?

And again, the shipping invoice and window sticker is important.

Last edited:
Have to disagree on this. I was corrected many years ago by an engineer at Windsor. The body frame date is the date the car body becomes a legal entity. This occurs somewhere in the middle of the assembly plant when the body in white is finished and it's heading to the paint shop.

I disagree with this post. You're splitting hairs.

Regarding the Scheduled Production Date this is, as stated above by myself and others, a "scheduled production date". This means that there were estimates made as to the speed of the production line, availability of parts, labor disputes, holidays, etc. etc. etc. which is standard operating procedure for all manufacturers and not unique to the automotive industry. As we all know, the build sheet was produced prior to the car heading down the line to insure all the correct options were included hence the "scheduled" production date.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the Schedulers/Production Control team at the Belvidere plant in May of 1969 that they knew how to do their job. Again, splitting hairs, at most this date would only be 2 days, "the average number of days from start to finish of late 60's to early 70's automotive production line", off from the SPD, that still leaves the completion date, which I never implied or stated, at approximately 23 May 1969 to 25 May 1969 which means from the completion of my car on the production line, to the date that the original owner took possession, 28 June 1969 at 34 to 36 days.

Regarding the Y14 code which you mentioned in your reply from my earlier post, it is widely speculated that dealers would order cars using the Y14 code with factious customer information to move cars up in the production schedule so they didn't have to wait for cars that they were out of stock on or desirable. I went with the The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page interpretation because most of their research comes from historical Chrysler documents, not speculation.

The purpose of the original post was to demonstrate that it is almost certain that my car was produced for sale in California so the previous, and legitimate hypothesis that California spec cars would have the dual snorkel air cleaner was not true for my car.

it is widely speculated that dealers would order cars using the Y14 code with factious customer information to move cars up in the production schedule so they didn't have to wait for cars that they were out of stock on or desirable

Trust me that happened....and still happens today otherwise I'd have zero Hellcats :)

Have to disagree on this. I was corrected many years ago by an engineer at Windsor. The body frame date is the date the car body becomes a legal entity. This occurs somewhere in the middle of the assembly plant when the body in white is finished and it's heading to the paint shop.

By no means am I an expert on the Belvidere plant or Windsor for that matter, but from my research, talking to experts, engineers and people in the industry and hobby I'm a little fuzzy on the "body frame date" of what your are claiming, help me with this please. Are you using "body frame date" as a general construction term, or an actual piece of data that was recorded?

In your previous post you are claiming the SPD is the "body frame date" which would be when the VIN is stamped in the body.

By your definition this is not possible. The SPD is generated with the other paper work long before car is assembled, not while being assembled.

There is an SPD generated before that said car is built and a build number/VIN with that paperwork. That number is then stamped into the body before the solvent and prime stage.

To my knowledge the "car" becomes a legal entity when the paper work is submitted and recorded for the Federal government. For example,...."continuation" 1965 Shelby Mustangs built in the mid 2000's by Shelby American using VIN numbers submitted and recorded in 1965, but never actually built.

Where is there any evidence of a "body frame date"?

Which internal paperwork was used, for a "body frame date"?

Where on a Broadcast sheet is it located?

I am very curious to see one.

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
The purpose of the original post was to demonstrate that it is almost certain that my car was produced for sale in California so the previous, and legitimate hypothesis that California spec cars would have the dual snorkel air cleaner was not true for my car.

Just so we're clear....we're talking about your 69 correct?

Does the car code N97?

Regarding the Y14 code which you mentioned in your reply from my earlier post, it is widely speculated that dealers would order cars using the Y14 code with factious customer information to move cars up in the production schedule so they didn't have to wait for cars that they were out of stock on or desirable. I went with the The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page interpretation because most of their research comes from historical Chrysler documents, not speculation.

Y14 means only: It is a sold car. Money has been laid down to produce it.
That could be a customer but also a dealer who wanted a specific equipped model because he was sure he could sell it.

A well known example is Mr.Norms. He ordered several Hemi cars and optioned them out the way he was sure to be able to sell them.

Carsten

By no means am I an expert on the Belvidere plant or Windsor for that matter, but from my research, talking to experts, engineers and people in the industry and hobby I'm a little fuzzy on the "body frame date" of what your are claiming, help me with this please. Are you using "body frame date" as a general construction term, or an actual piece of data that was recorded?

In your previous post you are claiming the SPD is the "body frame date" which would be when the VIN is stamped in the body.

By your definition this is not possible. The SPD is generated with the other paper work long before car is assembled, not while being assembled.

There is an SPD generated before that said car is built and a build number/VIN with that paperwork. That number is then stamped into the body before the solvent and prime stage.

To my knowledge the "car" becomes a legal entity when the paper work is submitted and recorded for the Federal government. For example,...."continuation" 1965 Shelby Mustangs built in the mid 2000's by Shelby American using VIN numbers submitted and recorded in 1965, but never actually built.

Where is there any evidence of a "body frame date"?

Which internal paperwork was used, for a "body frame date"?

Where on a Broadcast sheet is it located?

I am very curious to see one.

Thank you!!!

I'm going to try and track down my one or two remaining contacts at Chrysler who are still living to see what information I can learn to fill this in further.

The SPD is just that "scheduled". As several people have pointed out, this date is subject to the assembly plant's discretion. Car's are not built according to the sequence number of the vin. They are built according to the SO number. Depending on the model year involved, I believe the build date of the car is in the first line of the broadcast sheet.

My problem with all this is, I have 100 VINs and SPDs of 70 Polara Convertibles. The "SPDs" are all in some kind of order with the VINs. They all ascend in a similar order.

The SPD is just that "scheduled". As several people have pointed out, this date is subject to the assembly plant's discretion. Car's are not built according to the sequence number of the vin. They are built according to the SO number. Depending on the model year involved, I believe the build date of the car is in the first line of the broadcast sheet.

We are in agreement on the SPD,...that's never been a question. I also understand the complete manufacturing process.

I'm questioning what a "body frame date" is. It's not the SPD, although it is possible to have a VIN stamping "body frame date" coincide with an SPD. Or have a body stamped with the VIN on the projected SPD. Possible yes.

What is a "body frame date"? Is this your term? Or are you using it as a metaphor to describe the assembly process?

This is a new term or information. Before it get's quoted by someone, I would like to know the origins and meaning.

I was a History major,.....can you tell?

Thank you I appreciate your efforts and help!

Last edited:
I'm going to try and track down my one or two remaining contacts at Chrysler who are still living to see what information I can learn to fill this in further.

I'm sorry, cars were not built by SO numbers. The SO number is an administrative and billing number, not a production assembly number.

It's likely you can tell the actual build sequence at some plants by numbers found on a BS but that is not true of all plants.

This ole' blue girl followed me home,....I didn't have the heart to turn her away!

To the best of my knowledge and research they only made a handful of these cars,...quite rare. The best part,....NON/AC car!!!!!!!!!

Do other members besides Carsten and Rick have one?View attachment 114410 View attachment 114411 View attachment 114412 View attachment 114413 View attachment 114414
My 69 Sport Fury convertible is blue /w white top white interior. Needs alot of love, but a 440 K code E85 car. It also has a stamped 440 badged hood emblem not some decal imitation badge.

My 69 Sport Fury convertible is blue /w white top white interior. Needs alot of love, but a 440 K code E85 car. It also has a stamped 440 badged hood emblem not some decal imitation badge.
I agree, pictures please.

Ugh, sighs. That's sad, really. We are going to be like Studebaker owners soon huh?

It's hard to predict what's going to happen. Jeep is doing well as is Ram but Chrysler is suffering and Dodge only has the Hellcats .

Here's the close up of the 440 hood emblem. I'll try to get some more photos sized down so they download. Little new at this but love this forum!!! You guys have great info.

IMG_20170226_123056.jpg

As you can see this car is need of a total restoration. I just couldn't see it setting outside with the possibility of having the 440 removed for an E or B body. Had to buy it and pack it away safe and sound.

IMG_20170226_124828.jpg

IMG_20170226_124917.jpg

IMG_20170226_125320.jpg

IMG_20170226_125039.jpg

Back