1970 Chrysler 300 Power Windows

Waggy

Reaction score
I am feeling like something has gone wrong with my electrical, but I had some experts check it and they say all is fine. A few months or so ago my radio decided to stop working and now my power windows do not work. There does not appear to be any power at the switches. With the switches taken out, the Window Lift Safety Relay heats up when I turn the power on. The relay does nor have any numbers on it and I have not found it in the Service Manual. The Service Manual talks about a 30 A fuse, which I can not find. I replaced the reply with another one and it just clicks, so I assume it is shorting out some where, but just where I do not know. It would be nice to make a new relay, with not having a number, I do not like purchasing stuff that people say will work, trust me!

The window motors all work, some slowly when I put direct current to them.

Any ideas beside sell the car!

Last edited:
did you figure it out?? I had a bad back up light switch that was blowing the fuse whenever i put it in reverse and the windows would quit working also. The circuit that powers the back up lights also powers a relay for the windows. Took me a while to figure that out. And I wanna think it also goes to something else in the dash (possibly the radio but I dont remember off hand). Not sure if that helps you but I would have to dig out my book to remember the details of it all.

did you figure it out?? I had a bad back up light switch that was blowing the fuse whenever i put it in reverse and the windows would quit working also. The circuit that powers the back up lights also powers a relay for the windows. Took me a while to figure that out. And I wanna think it also goes to something else in the dash (possibly the radio but I dont remember off hand). Not sure if that helps you but I would have to dig out my book to remember the details of it all.

It was not the window lift 30 ampere circuit breaker that I thought it was and is in the fuse box. It was the Window Lift Safety Relay that clips on the fuse box and in my case fall behind the fuse box! I want to get a list of all of these breakers and relays used in the car, their location and part number. I think I have a half a dozen or more of these things in my car and no idea what most of them do.

I can't tell ya what they all are. I was able to figure out what ones I was looking for with the wiring diagram. The ones I had problems with were mostly where the book said they were suppose to be. It is a confusing mess at times

I am feeling like something has gone wrong with my electrical, but I had some experts check it and they say all is fine. A few months or so ago my radio decided to stop working and now my power windows do not work. There does not appear to be any power at the switches. With the switches taken out, the Window Lift Safety Relay heats up when I turn the power on. The relay does nor have any numbers on it and I have not found it in the Service Manual. The Service Manual talks about a 30 A fuse, which I can not find. I replaced the reply with another one and it just clicks, so I assume it is shorting out some where, but just where I do not know. It would be nice to make a new relay, with not having a number, I do not like purchasing stuff that people say will work, trust me!

The window motors all work, some slowly when I put direct current to them.

Any ideas beside sell the car!

Were these cars not known for having a problem at the main bulkhead connector? Corrosion? Bad connections? I was under the impression that disassembling that connector, cleaning it and putting it back together with dielectric grease was step #1 in any electrical problem solution.

Were these cars not known for having a problem at the main bulkhead connector? Corrosion? Bad connections? I was under the impression that disassembling that connector, cleaning it and putting it back together with dielectric grease was step #1 in any electrical problem solution.

Yes !!! BIG TIME !!!!!!!! Sometimes the bulkhead block gets melted and needs to be replaced. :BangHead:

Back