1970 Sport Fury body molding clips

70Tom

Reaction score
Well, I guess I should get a head start on attempting to see if these are out there. When I had my former 70 painted back in 2004, I couldn't find any being reproduced or NOS.

So, my question is, does anyone know if the body molding clips are being reproduced or there's some NOS somewhere?

They are plastic clips, fairly large, and extremely brittle after 47 years, so trying to remove them for paint is a difficult task. The best one can do to try and salvage it is get a very small socket and slip it over the end that is through the body panel and push it out when the prongs are "contracted." Even then, you end up breaking a ton of them.

I'll see if I can find a part number for them, but I did so great with the last plastic piece I needed that...well, I failed miserably and Big John had to come to the rescue with the number.

The part number appears to be 6003004?

70_71_Mopar_Parts_Catalog3 1114.jpg
70_71_Mopar_Parts_Catalog3 1115.jpg

Do you have a picture of the originals?

Alan

Sorry, not at the moment. I haven't removed my molding just yet. They're rectangular and have nibs on the top and bottom to hold the molding in place. When I get it removed, I'll shoot a pic.

could try these guys too...

R/T Specialties - Mopar Fasteners, Clips&Hardware

he had NOS grille clips for my Newport
Thanks, I sent them an email with the picture attached. Hopefully they have something close.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I tried removing one of them yesterday and they're so hard/brittle that I can't compress the prongs on the backside holding them in place. Any attempt to squeeze them (with a screwdriver or otherwise was futile). Not to mention, that was on an easy to access clip. There's plenty of them that are super difficult. Not sure what I'll do then. I guess paint around them would be my only other choice. Heck, Murray Park didn't even have any salvaged clips. :(

An alternative, lose the clips and "glue" the moldng on with silicon. Sounds dumb and flakey, but it works on the new cars built today.

An alternative, lose the clips and "glue" the moldng on with silicon. Sounds dumb and flakey, but it works on the new cars built today.
Not sure that would work. These moldings are hollow in the center of them. Modern molding has a flat surface.

While it sucks, it seems like my best bet is to just leave them.

There is always a solution, take your trim to a body shop and ask them for alternatives.

Restoration Specialties has a broad selection...
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc.

Alan
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not giving up yet. I'm sending emails with a pic to these places. Haven't heard anything back yet, but hopefully will. There's also a couple places here in Phoenix that I'm going to do just that--bring the molding to them and see what they can do. I think the biggest issue is the holes in the sheet metal for these clips. They're not exactly small, so finding something to push in there, or alternatively trying to use a screw to hook on a different clip could prove difficult. I really don't want to weld up 41 holes and then redrill either.

This isn't a show car. I just want it to look nice when done. I'll just move along accordingly, I guess.

If the body has holes and not studs the simple butterfly clip with the wire might work (assuming you can get to back side to put the nuts on).

Alan

If the body has holes and not studs the simple butterfly clip with the wire might work (assuming you can get to back side to put the nuts on).

Alan
It's a hole. The plastic clips push in there. Issue is, the holes are fairly large to accommodate a butterfly clip stud. Although I guess if I use a washer, that might not be that big of a deal. Probably the main issue would be access to some of the holes.

So...I never found any of these clips. I did, however, figure out how to easily remove them. In the pic above, see the circle on the right side of the clip? Well, you simply push that in so it pops out of the clip and then you can easily pry the clip off the car.

I do, however, still have several that are broken that I need to replace, so if anyone has any or knows of a car with them still on, please let me know.

Back