For Sale 1970 Sport Fury GT "Very Rough Condition"

Status
Not open for further replies.

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
This one is a shame because it is missing its drive train and the frame is rusty. But otherwise complete the listing says. And it is brown which some don't like that much. I wasn't going to post this one, but got to thinking that in case anyone is keeping track, it might be useful............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291616449484?item=291616449484&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Quite a few turning up recently. Neither completely crushed nor thoroughly restored. Same phenomenon as with the Hursts.

The Hursts are hard to tell apart, so doubles are more common. Still right, there should be a couple more of them left.

Quite a few turning up recently. Neither completely crushed nor thoroughly restored. Same phenomenon as with the Hursts.

I disagree on the Hurst comment somewhat.
There are many more Hursts out there.
Many more of the Hursts are in a "driver" condition compared to the SFGTs

The amount of SFGT that need a full resto is way higher compared to the Hurst

Carsten

Unless they're moving around from seller to seller and staying in a perpetual state we can tell most apart from said seller.

I get your point, quantity and quality aside, thanks to this forum people are seeing the potential value and dragging them out of barns, sheds and scrap yards hoping for a big payday.

This one is too rough for me but probably a pretty classy looking car with the colour combo and that interior. Hopefully someone can save it.

Dave

I get your point, quantity and quality aside, thanks to this forum people are seeing the potential value and dragging them out of barns, sheds and scrap yards hoping for a big payday.

Nothing wrong with that! :)

I respectfully disagree; here's why.

I've found after about 25 years of looking, that the 1970 Sport Fury GT has about an 8% to 10% survival rate at best. Remember we are talking about the 1970 GT only, with 666 quoted as the total production.

In 25 years of Sport Fury GT interest, I haven't seen more than 30 cars, either restored or unrestored. Pre internet era, the only good way to find a car was Hemmings Motor News or The Plymouth Club, occasionally you would see a car in MoPar Collectors Guide, but rarely.

I know BillyFury has the largest and best collection of 1970 Sport Fury GT's on the planet. Per discussions, It appears that there are actually more 1971 Sport Fury GT's that survived, based on production numbers than the 70 Sport Fury GT.

The 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst has a much, much higher survival rate of around 40%, simply because it was such an unusual looking car, with Hurst badging, that many, many more were saved and therefore more exist today than the 70 Sport Fury GT

That makes the 1970 Sport Fury GT a truly rare car in whatever condition.

Like this 70 GT 6BBL. One of 61 produced. Approximate 8 survive, which puts the 6BBL GT survival percentage at around 15%,( for the 6BBL GT only)

And a recent conclusion of the owners of the 6BBL cars is that the production was actually much lower than the quoted 61 or 10% of production. Realistically, it would be about 25-30 cars total, and likely less than that!

6890795720_f6fa4707c3_c.jpg

fumbuck gt 1.jpg

Now why would they conclude the production number was lower? Find the sales / accessories /options report and that will nail it.

I personally have heard several tales of guys pulling the six pack engine from that old C body and junking the car....
Now, that could just have been tales but several? Who knows?

Is there any Pics of a Restored original 6BBL Fury? or are the Few that are left all in need of Restoration. These cars are so interesting and Mysterious to me.

This car is at the same shop that's doing the paint/bodywork on my car, so if anybody would like more photo's let me know.

Some more pix from that ebay listing for the record (sent him a query and he added more before the auction ended. Will check if I saved it in my Watch List...):

s-l1601.jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back