For Sale 1970 Sport Fury GT "Very Rough Condition"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Info. and a few more pix from the ebay auction for the record. Note that bidding topped out at $918 for the package, reserve not met.

"1970 Sport Fury GT, PH23TOF.....

Very rough condition. Frame is rotted, engineand transmission missing. The blue Fury Brougham was purchased as a donor carfor the GT. Solid car, complete other than the engine and transmission. It haspower windows, locks, A/C, rear defogger.

Plymouth made 666 GT's in 1970. Advertised asthe "Executive Branch of the Rapid Transit system". Unfortunately Irealise I do not have the time to restore the car. I do have the VIN tag andbuild sheet for the GT. I would like to sell both the cars as a package. Ido not have a title for the GT, I do have previous Vermont owner registration,plates, and bill of sale."

Some build sheet options are:

A28 - max cooling noise reduction pkg.
C55- bucket seats,
A01 - light pkg
A04 - basic radio group
A52 - sport fury GT pkg,
L31 - hood turn signals,
V1L - vinyl roof, champagne,
V6W - white stripes,
FT6 - saddle tan interior,
L42 - headlight time delay reminder.
Including power brakes, 3spd wipers, remote LH mirror."

s-l1600 (1c).jpg
s-l1600 (2c).jpgs-l1600 (1d).jpg

s-l1600 (1c).jpg

s-l1600 (1d).jpg

s-l1600 (2c).jpg

Now why would they conclude the production number was lower? Find the sales / accessories /options report and that will nail it.

I agree. There is no way to know how many were produced or even estimate a survival rate. One can know 'known to exist cars' but that is only to one person. There is no comprehensive data base of cars that exist. Even with the Internet, there are still cars out there that are unknown to the rest of us. The demographic that would tend to own these cars are not typically people 'on line'.

FWIW...I know guy who's cousin's step brother's butcher's doctor is Galen's doctor too. GG has 14 of the 70 SFGT 6bbl cars accounted for between the Belvedere and Newark plants. That doesn't mean they still exist. It just means they are accounted for.

It is interesting to me that Chrysler would build such a limited production car at two plants. Usually, a specialty car like this was built at only one plant to save on shipping, parts availability, etc. The number of 6bbl assemblies shipped to the Newark plant had to be fairly small.

So how was it decided which cars were built at Newark or Belvidere?. The Newark plant turned out a small amount of Cs comparatively speaking

So how was it decided which cars were built at Newark or Belvidere?. The Newark plant turned out a small amount of Cs comparatively speaking

I'm still new to C bodies so my reference is the LA plant with A, B and E bodies. Generally, the low volume package cars, Hemis and convertibles were built at the higher volume Detroit or STL plant. LA was a smaller, low volume plant that built 'common' cars. No Hemis were built at the LA plant but they did 6bbls. The '70 B and E body 440-6 assembly was the same so, to me, it makes sense that Chrysler could justify sending a large number of engine assemblies to this plant. It appears that most of the LA built cars stayed west of the Rockies. I'm guessing it was a combination of factors that affected what was built at the LA plant including shipping costs, shipping time, labor contracts, etc.

From what I know about C bodies so far, Newark was similar to the LA plant. It appears that it was a smaller volume plant designed to service Dodges and Plymouths to the East coast area, probably for similar reasons; shipping, time, etc. That's why it surprises me that the SFGT 6bbl cars were built there. It was a single purpose engine assembly. I would think the number projected for that combination would be so small that Chrysler would build them all at the Belvedere plant.

It would be interesting to see what the VINs are of the Newark built 6bbl cars. Did that plant get only one small shipment of 6bbl engine assemblies and were the cars built fairly close together in one batch or were they spread out meaning a small number of 6bbl assemblies would have to be stored and 'in the way' for most of the year?

Research continues.....

Is there any Pics of a Restored original 6BBL Fury? or are the Few that are left all in need of Restoration. These cars are so interesting and Mysterious to me.

Is there any Pics of a Restored original 6BBL Fury? or are the Few that are left all in need of Restoration. These cars are so interesting and Mysterious to me.
this has probably already been posted, sorry if duplicate. I think i got it off FB, not sure of the owner's name.
gt.jpg

Interesting discussion about SF GT vs 300 Hurst survival rates (I agree that more Hursts appear to have survived).
However, I think Formal Cop cars are more rare, and they made thousands of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back