For Sale 1971 Chrysler New Yorker 4d HT_on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

330dTA

Reaction score
Contact seller
This popped up anew, after having been marked as "Sold" for nearly 9K. Now the bidding starts anew at 1K, presently going at 1.5K and 4 days left. - I wonder what happened? Anyway, to me the car looks flawless:

1971 Chrysler New Yorker | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

$2,905 at the moment. Beautiful car to say the least. If it's all they say it is the going price is a steal.

I'd drive it!

From a straight on view, the drivers-side bumper droops down, when I see something like that, I think, front-end collision of some sort. It maybe the light but looks like stain front seat center by buddy seat. I was shocked when I hit the play button. Sounds like an old Studebaker 6cyl truck.

I looked at the front bumper, too, and wondered about the same issue. Perhaps somebody found himself in a tight parking slot and decided to push him(her)self out of there? The bent is very mild. The car has not been hit hard, there would be a scar on the chrome if it had. - I think the "stain" on the front seat is a shadow. The lower photo shows no stains.

I checked out this car last week in Portland prepared to buy and drive it home. I walked away from the deal. Send me a PM if you want the details if you might be an interested buyer. Have some pics I can share.

From a straight on view, the drivers-side bumper droops down, when I see something like that, I think, front-end collision of some sort. It maybe the light but looks like stain front seat center by buddy seat. I was shocked when I hit the play button. Sounds like an old Studebaker 6cyl truck.
The entire exhaust system is rotted out. Seller won't disclose this (among other things).

I checked out this car last week in Portland prepared to buy and drive it home. I walked away from the deal. Send me a PM if you want the details if you might be an interested buyer. Have some pics I can share.
Can you post it up here? Looks looks beautiful.

It maybe the light but looks like stain front seat center by buddy seat. I was shocked when I hit the play button. Sounds like an old Studebaker 6cyl truck.
Yes, that car is too nice to sound so terrible. Unexcusable to not repair the exhaust on such a car.

I think the "stain" on the front seat is a shadow. The lower photo shows no stains.

I see this dark spot in every view of the front seat. ???
upload_2017-1-15_19-9-1.png

SeaFuse -
Post up the info for all of us, there are some of us here that have a good memory for cars and if there are issues with this one, would be good to know if/when this car pops up for sale again, to advise our friends here. So many of them pop up again somewhere else, unfortunately.

Although it's currently bidding at $5700, above what Mr Lash probably is willing to pay for a car that he would list for $16,995.

There are numerous transaction issues about this deal that ai will discuss on PM. Something seems odd about this aspect of sale.

On the mechanical side of things, prior to the auction closing, the seller was unable to provide any details about the condition of the car. For example, when I asked if it has an exhaust leak, they said "... i'm selling this for my uncle and it runs real smooth." Replys to any question about the condition were just vague responses about how great the car was. Turns out sellers knows very little about cars. I do not know who's car this is.

I bid on the deal but low. Seller asked how much I'd pay outside the auction and he wanted about $1k more plus an immediate deposit. Couple days after auction end, he contacted me about buying buying as first buyer made him mad as he would'nt make an immediate deposit. I said I'd buy it and be down in two days. He was pushing hard for a deposit but I said not until I see the car. Seemd the most important thing was sending a deposit.

We agreed to meet about 20 minutes from his place due to the snow. The car was in a parking lot with a foot of snow on it. They drove it there. Was very difficult to fire up but after it did, it sounded like it had open headers, wouldnt hold an idle, died even when brining up the revs. Long delay shifting into gear before trans engaged. Brake pedal mushy. Noticed the ammeter was running deep in the negative.

Looked under the hood again - and there were no belts driving the alternator! And the water pump belt was so loose it wasn't spinning the water pump. I shut off the engine and spun the alternator by hand, but was locked up until really renching on it. Water pump binding as well. You'll note in the pics on the listing the belts are hooked up. They got kinda defensive about the belts missing. They offered to take my money, give me the title and deliver to me the next day or so. Things got fishier after that and I just walked away.

Exhaust system is completely rotted out. Yes there is a big stain on the front seat. Some large door dings. A little older bondo. Tires are from 90's but you can tell that from the pics. Otherwise seemed like a very nice car. I just did not have a good feeling about the techincal and commercial aspects of the deal. Can of worms. It's probably a safe buy but I would not make any deposits.

Last edited:
Caveat Emptor is getting to be increasingly good advice these days. What is happening to people to be so shady and so quick to lie or mislead and rip you off? Crap! This country is heading for a reckoning, unfortunately.......................

Last edited:
Too many TV shows showing asswipes buying and flipping cars, too many folks who's handshake has no value... There is no short term fix for a person who hasn't learned how to deal honestly with others, only karma.

You were smart to walk away SeaFuse. Sounds like could need another $3000 of work. Sellers may be gun-shy from people promising to buy and not show up, so they want an immediate deposit, or maybe they're making money on non-refundable deposits when buyer backs out?

I don't fully agree that folks aren't being honest (but yes, soemtimes it's an issue) . I think that many of them simply don't understand an old car, how to evaluate it, and describe the true condition to the satisfaction of someone that actually knows. (ie some folks think a car runs good if it will make it to the grocery store and back, yet they can't tell if the car is 20% low on power) I'm not saying this is the situation on this car, although it does seem they've hidden some flaws. If I won that car on ebay and saw the engine/belts issue, I'd walk away.

Although, the seller never actually claims how well it runs, only made a video.
The closest claim is "with all the power options (Everything on it works just fine!)" in a screaming colored font - followed by 15" of rules about the deal. I SMDH at listings where there's more text about their rules than about the car they are selling. :realcrazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back