For Sale 1971 Imperial LeBaron - WA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly I think this is going to be derbied locally. I'd be more of a player if they had keys. Title doesn't mean much to me unless it was bought brand new by the dad and then I'd want the original title for display.

BTW, Conrad said the car was bought used for $4,000, would have been mid-70's, and it sounded like his dad was the second owner.

I've been looking at this one too but in Washington it is SOOOOO difficult to get a title. People think "oh it's in the old mans name just go to the DMV" well it doesn't work like that here. They purge all records after 10 years so if it's been off the road since then you are SOL. Just going through this on a 73 Charger I picked up. Lady was the owner but since it was last tabbed in 1991 the record of the car has been purged and they won't go back and look it up. That is the problem with the car. I'd probably be a buyer at $400-500 even with the title issues but when I e-mailed the guy he kind of blew me off. If you talk to him again HOMERR let me know if he is open to that. Probably heading up to Seattle on Thursday with my trailer to move a car and could get it.

Also without keys even taking it out of park and turning the wheels is going to be a giant PITA.

Taking it out of park is simple....turning the wheels is the problem
Steering wheel puller, lock ring puller, drill the brass pin for the cylinder... did that once long, long ago. not really that hard.

That's a problem ....more than undoing linkage
I have seen cars being dragged onto the flatbed because no body was ambitious enough to release the linkage and save $2k in flatspotted tires. The tools altogether are likely $100 including cheap drill bits.

Of course it can be done but then you're spending half the day undoing linkage, drilling steering columns, filling tires, loading, strapping... I've done all that (in fact do it a lot) but not usually for a 4 door C-Body with no title.

R in the dealer order number means a Y28 Public Relations car.

UPDATE: Car sold to Don in Kansas City!

I've been busy on and off the last couple of weeks helping out on this. Don and his son contacted me and had me check that the motor spins, it does. Then another day I got it up on jackstands expecting to have to get junk roller tires put on, but those old tires hold air despite some major cracking!

Don had a key made so we could unlock the steering column and despite someone else breaking the gearshift collar on the column the whole thing turns just by grasping it and rotating it. The e-brake was undone by a lever up under the dash - it is normally released when taken out of park via vacuum. So it rolled, steered, and sort of stops.

The flatbed tow driver was a pro and the move went without a hitch other than him underestimating the amount of steering effort to turn it in to my garage. My alley is slightly sloped and he dropped it off uphill and then misjudged by about half on the first run in. He brought his truck around and we pulled it back uphill to make another run at it and he made it in perfectly.

The seller, Conrad, was great to work with and was as helpful as he could be without knowing anything about cars. (His dad's house sale closes Saturday and he needed the car moved.)

Here's an album of pictures and a couple of videos starting a couple of weeks ago after I first posted about the car, the move today, and some pics of it in my garage tonight as it awaits to be picked up for the haul out to KC. I'm sharing the pics with Don's permission.

Link:
Dropbox - Imperial for Don

And, no, I have no idea what the extra switches under the dash do. Anyone want to guess?

2016-09-29 18.02.55.jpg

2016-09-29 16.32.38.jpg

Last edited:
Did you look for a broadcast sheet? It will probably have a note on why and how it was used by Chrysler as a public relations car.

UPDATE: Car sold to Don in Kansas City!

I've been busy on and off the last couple of weeks helping out on this. Don and his son contacted me and had me check that the motor spins, it does. Then another day I got it up on jackstands expecting to have to get junk roller tires put on, but those old tires hold air despite some major cracking!

Don had a key made so we could unlock the steering column and despite someone else breaking the gearshift collar on the column the whole thing turns just by grasping it and rotating it. The e-brake was undone by a lever up under the dash - it is normally released when taken out of park via vacuum. So it rolled, steered, and sort of stops.

The flatbed tow driver was a pro and the move went without a hitch other than him underestimating the amount of steering effort to turn it in to my garage. My alley is slightly sloped and he dropped it off uphill and then misjudged by about half on the first run in. He brought his truck around and we pulled it back uphill to make another run at it and he made it in perfectly.

The seller, Conrad, was great to work with and was as helpful as he could be without knowing anything about cars. (His dad's house sale closes Saturday and he needed the car moved.)

Here's an album of pictures and a couple of videos starting a couple of weeks ago after I first posted about the car, the move today, and some pics of it in my garage tonight as it awaits to be picked up for the haul out to KC. I'm sharing the pics with Don's permission.

Link:
Dropbox - Imperial for Don

And, no, I have no idea what the extra switches under the dash do. Anyone want to guess?
Good on you bloke for helping out, hopefully the new owner will save it and put it back on the road.

It's great that you saved it!

That said, I don't think I could re-do it the original color :(

Did you look for a broadcast sheet? It will probably have a note on why and how it was used by Chrysler as a public relations car.

I didn't, but Don and I talked about the broadcast sheet yesterday. I'll let him look for it.

It's great that you saved it!

That said, I don't think I could re-do it the original color :(
Agreed...this car cries out to be repainted black.

Great save.

Last edited:
I would be quite pleased with the original colors on this one.

The color in the jambs looks nice. Hard to find a Chrysler or Imperial in this color that looks fresh. But here are a couple Mopars in the color:

1971-plymouth-cuda-383-4-speed-b2-1.JPG

001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back