1972 360 distributor question

Jonesboy2

Reaction score
How's it going, I'm new to distributors, and I was looking at ones to replace the one on my wagon (72 Plymouth suburban) and on rock auto there are from what I see 4 different kinds. There's standard, electrical, breaker, and breakerless selections. I'm not sure what this all means and i was hoping someone could tell me what normally would have came factory on this engine. Thanks in advance!

How's it going, I'm new to distributors, and I was looking at ones to replace the one on my wagon (72 Plymouth suburban) and on rock auto there are from what I see 4 different kinds. There's standard, electrical, breaker, and breakerless selections. I'm not sure what this all means and i was hoping someone could tell me what normally would have came factory on this engine. Thanks in advance!

What motor do you have?

Ya caught that sorry DOH
IMG_5432.JPG

IMHO your 360 will be best served by a Mopar Performance style distributor with electronic ignition control. This system uses a magnetic reluctor pickup that generates an impulse to the coil. Its pretty much fool proof and requires little maintenance and is not difficult to install. There are several threads here that will explain the process. Trying to piece a system together piece by piece on Rockauto is a waste of money IMO not saying the components are crap just the hard way to do it when the complete kit is available.

Electronic ignition was introduced in 1972 as an option on all Chrysler vehicles, more than likely yours has it. The control unit was rated to 5600 rpm and was blue in color. In 1973 it became standard equipment and the control box rpm was raised to 7000.

Alrighty thanks guys, I'm gonna check out the under hood when I get home and see if it has electronic! Thanks for the help

Back