For Sale 1973 dodge polara police car, the real deal, texas police pkg. Mopar big block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samplingman

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Polar...tr=true&hash=item4d32617a52&item=331557730898

1973 DODGE POLARA
TEXAS POLICE PKG. CAR

There only original once, and this is the real deal...not a tribute car. The papers in the glove box show this car was issued from the State of Texas to the Texas Parks and Wild Life Department. Its also the same car Texas used in 1973 as the DPS Highway Patrol cars with the exception of this car being a “Custom” Polara, suggesting it was used by a Supervisor Game Warden. It has nicer seats and wood grain trim.

The car was sold at auction in the late 70’s and only driven a bit in civilian life. In 1986 the car was parked in a garage and sat until pulled out in 2015. I pulled the original 1986 plates off and there still in the trunk. I was very lucky to have the state grant me "THE FUZZ" plates on the car now. People love it!!!!

The car only has 78K original miles and yes I have documentation. In 1973 Texas State Police Packages were order with 400 Big Blocks. Texas had been having trouble with the 440 during sustained high speed chases. There’s miles and miles of Texas! The 400 held up better!

The car has all the Police Pkg. upgrades like: Certified Speedometer, 100amp Alternator, Factory installed Spot Light, 400 HP Big Block, HP 727 Transmission, Heavy Duty Brakes, Etc. The original Federal Mechanical Siren mount was still under the hood and I found the original Federal 66 Siren and installed it back in the car.

Since I bought it...I replaced the tires, recored the original radiator, hoses and belts, Fuel Pump, NOS windshield, Brake Booster and Master, Plugs, Wires, Cap/Rotor, Original Therm-o-quad Carburetor Rebuilt etc.

Inside the car looks almost brand new and is totally original. There are NO cracks in dash and the seats are super nice. There are some light water stains on the back seat bottom from a door seal leak. The gauges work except the fuel. It needs a sending unit.

Glass is all good and the car has no rust issues. The car has original paint and has never been repainted. The rear drivers quarter panel was replaced likely when in service back in the 70’s.

The car will include the Push Bumpers and Grill Lights that alternate flash, Spot Light, Motorola UHF Radio, Big Whip Antenna and Magnetic Sheriff Stars. The dash light and Lightbar are staying. You can find them on ebay or elightbars.com. I do have a NOS Federal Visibeam lightbar new in the box for $600 if interested from the 70's.

The AM radio sounds very warm...when it works. Sometimes you shut the door, and it comes on. The car runs and drives nice but in the morning when sitting over night its hard starting without starting fluid. I think the carburetor still needs work. Once started for the day...it starts easy where ever you go.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

This is a nice one. I remember it from somewhere...my memory is letting me down, or maybe one of my guys found it for me? It was a real good car I recall.

He's using some of my Ebay auction verbage at the very bottom of his auction ..but its cool by me. if it helps him keep the deadbeats/pretenders away its good for everybody in the end.

I have one of these too...a '73 WSP car. 440 U code. fun car..time for it to come out and play this summer.

0-1973 Polara.jpg1-1973 Polara.jpg2-1973 Polara.jpg

0-1973 Polara.jpg

1-1973 Polara.jpg

2-1973 Polara.jpg

This car was on craigslist about 6 months ago. It was bought just prior to that and looked completely plain. It had no badges, no decals, no lights ect.... from the way the prior seller sold it. It was bought as junk. He towed it with a tow dolley, and the rear wheels were on the ground. It was for sale at 3,000. And it already had a driver side spot light. I think it's a clone with several different cars parts. I haven't seen it in person to confirm. buyer beware! !

i dunno what this car is...if someone has seen it recently up close I defer to any eyewitnesses. It could be cobbled together but owner says he has the papers. guess we'll see.

i owned THREE Washington State Police cars.. still have two. All Polara Customs. They could be ordered this way..for sure. That's my experience anyway...I am not trying to be the expert here on cop sleds :icon_pirat:

in 1983 I pulled the front seat and dash pad out of a Police packaged 1971 Polara. The seats had cloth inserts, the interior was brown.

I have seen more than one 71 Polara police packaged car with cloth and vinyl seats

we've all seen this one

292655 front seat.jpg

292655 front seat.jpg

my 71 here in the gallery. when it was purchased, after i finished it. my 73 has same interior as Texas car..only blue.

P1010089.jpg10-1971 Polara WSP.jpg

P1010089.jpg

10-1971 Polara WSP.jpg

I contacted the seller. I told him I have concerns about the cars authenticity. He says don't bother... I thought police cars were k code. Does a parks and wildlife car which he says this is count as an authentic police car?

there are a few threads here where the forum thrashed around this "K" designation and related matters around how these cars could be ordered back in the day. i am sure somebody will know which thread(s) covered that or will chime in here.

"Police-spec" cars could be had by any Fleet buyer...Police, Fire, Customs Service, FBI, US Park Services, US Mint, Military, etc. I guess if it is a "cop" car is depends if it was used for "police" work?

For me, I just looked for the numbers/features I wanted to use to confirm HOW the car was built at the factory, and then I was interested "who" used it and could that usage be documented..whoever it was.

My 74 Monaco was a Fire Department car in California as an example. Tricked out almost like any CHP car of that year..big brakes, 140 speedo, all the fluid cooling, U code 440 HP etc.

Anyway, I hope this Texas car is authentic and does well for the buyer and seller.

This car was on craigslist about 6 months ago. It was bought just prior to that and looked completely plain. It had no badges, no decals, no lights ect.... from the way the prior seller sold it. It was bought as junk. He towed it with a tow dolley, and the rear wheels were on the ground. It was for sale at 3,000. And it already had a driver side spot light. I think it's a clone with several different cars parts. I haven't seen it in person to confirm. buyer beware! !

This! I remember it and called on it. It still had the picture of it on the tow dolly. Hispanic man who spoke little English was selling it (I think the ad was even in Spanish?). At the time the price was less than $2,000 but just sold when I called on it.

The standard police package seats in 69 were vinyl with fabric panels.

Alan

As most of you know I'm fixing up a 1972 WSP Polara Custom. Cloth/vinyl power front seat, rim blow wheel, woodgrain inserts, carpeting, A38 package. Parts car is a 1972 Polara K code police car, grey vinyl rubber floor mat base model car.

As most of you know I'm fixing up a 1972 WSP Polara Custom. Cloth/vinyl power front seat, rim blow wheel, woodgrain inserts, carpeting, A38 package. Parts car is a 1972 Polara K code police car, grey vinyl rubber floor mat base model car.

How bout' some photos as a reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back