4 door versus Coupe Length

SeaFuse

Reaction score
Are the overall lengths of 2-door & 4-door Imerials the same? From what info I can find, the lengths are the same between the two. 69-72 229.5" and 73 235.3" (Nader bumpers). Thanks.

The 4-door models seem to have more leg room for rear seat passengers though, can anyone verify?

The 4-door models seem to have more leg room for rear seat passengers though, can anyone verify?

Somebody else have the AMA spec book for these cars? This is either a standalone publication or its included in the technical press kit.

Probably due to front seat design, the folding seats may take up more space.

Alan

The quarter panels on two-doors are different in that the C-pillar is usually moved some inches forward and the dutchman panel is longer. This makes for the "huge trunk" look of the coupes. Hence the rear seat is moved a little further to the front in two-doors, resulting in a shorter rear passenger leg room.

But the wheelbase and the overall length of the car is the same on two-doors and four doors, at least on fuseys (not counting station wagons).

The quarter panels on two-doors are different in that the C-pillar is usually moved some inches forward and the dutchman panel is longer. This makes for the "huge trunk" look of the coupes. Hence the rear seat is moved a little further to the front in two-doors, resulting in a shorter rear passenger leg room.

But the wheelbase and the overall length of the car is the same on two-doors and four doors, at least on fuseys (not counting station wagons).
Yes, Cadillac and Lincoln coupes also have less rear leg room. While the overall effect of the 2-door Imperials is very nice, I prefer more leg room, coupes can be awkward to enter and exit for rear seat passengers as well. I guess the solution would be to have a 2-door and a 4-door...

Yes, Cadillac and Lincoln coupes also have less rear leg room. While the overall effect of the 2-door Imperials is very nice, I prefer more leg room, coupes can be awkward to enter and exit for rear seat passengers as well. I guess the solution would be to have a 2-door and a 4-door...

Depending on the roof, it was possible for the factory to build such a car. The line guys way of showing the new foreman who really ran the line.......

Regarding legroom of 4-door versus 2-door, below are all dimension from 72 Imperial that are different from 4-door to 2-door (source, Imperial databook on the Imperial Club web site). All other published dimensions are the same between the two.

4dr / coupe (inch)
Headroom front: 38.3 / 38.0
Headroom rear: 37.0 / 37.5
Legroom front: 41.9 / 41.7
Legroom rear: 41.2 / 35.2
Hiproom front: 63.1 / 63.4
Hiproom rear: 63.1. / 63.4
Shoulderroom frnt. 62.7 / 63.2
Shoulderrom rear 62.7 / 62.5
Seat height front: 9.0 / 8.7
Seat heigjt rear : 11.5 / 10.4
Luggage cap. Ft^3 18.6 / 20.5

Exterior
Overall height: 56.2 / 55.6

Bottom line - 4-door can fit more people comfortably inside the car, but can fit more people in the trunk of a coupe.

Back