4 Speed Converzsion Conversation

What I,m hearing is oh too true. I think I,ll get My act together and start a new thread in the near future,, I,ll be back in the north, home from Florida in a couple of weeks and will be all over it. Don,t like the winter but sure miss my garage.... Thanks to all Catfish-65

No offense to you personally Catfish, but you have to see it from my point of view.
Will you ALL please go the fluck home? PLEASE? I haven't been able to get MY stool at my local bar for 3 months!

No offence taken, but now I understand what a sensitive Car guy you are I,m sure you,ll find someone to push your stool in when we all as you put it Go the F...... home Have a nice Day,,

Back to business, an update. Hopefully will be useful to people.

I wrote to Brewer's Performance last weekend with some queries, as follows:

• "Can I ask is the 6-cylinderclutch fork the same as the V8 type? If not, is the clutch fork listed on thewebsite for both big-block and small block applications, i.e. same fork is usedfor both SB and BB?
• What type 4-speed trans andbell-housing were fitted in the C-Body 1965-1968 4-speeds can I ask? Same as B-Bodyperhaps? I am searching for the correct bell-housing.

•Regarding the Z-Bar/Torque shaft, on the Brewer's Performance website there is a model that“fits all 1962-1965 B-body V8 applications with 10.5" bell-housing”. Doesthis also fit/work for a ’69-’71 C-Body?
(I ampretty sure that the existing 6-cylinder Z-Bar/Torque shaft will not work, orwill at least have to be modified)".

Wayne and Dan of Brewer's kindly wrote back to me yesterday, and relayed the following information:

"Aidan,

The slant six/V8 forks are the same, referenceour CF047N.

1965-66 used a 130 tooth flywheel, 67 up used143 tooth flywheel. Corresponding 10.5” or 11” bell housing required for eachapplication.

The C-body torque shaft has very short arms,the 6 cylinder one should work.

Fork pivots (reference our FP719 or FP264) areused in the above applications, depending on which bell housing you end upusing.

Our BH513R bell housing can be used, uses the10.5” 130 tooth flywheel, but if you use a McLeod scalloped clutch package(reference our MC1023, MCD1023, MCP1023 or MCDP1023)you get almost an 11” clutch(10.9).

Thanks,

Wayne/Dan"

Here is the parts list for my 69 Polara:
10 1/2 aluminium bell housing (70-72) 130 tooth flywheel
made the frame side bracket
bought pedal assy, had the shaft coming to the z-bar
found an OE z-bar on the locator (at a dealer)
the fork and pivot is 64-65 b-body (I used Brewers website to see all the possible ones)
That put everything in line, I don't run an over-center spring, because I have a diagram style pressure plate
The tunnel was a repop, of a 65-68 c-body, and it only took a little playing with to make fit.
The carpet is kit for 4-speed c-body (showed 65-72 in the catalog), the only issue was the seat belt covers.
The shifter and trans is all b-body, direct fit
I used the stock cross member and mount, and driveshaft

Hello Sir,

Is this your car? Steve by any chance? When I saw this machine on the cover of Mopar Muscle, I immediately bought it for this article alone. Beautiful, classy car.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1311-1969-dodge-polara-hardtop-super-sized-cruiser/

1969-dodge-polara-hardtop-in-motion.jpg1969-dodge-polara-hardtop-interior-view.jpg

Thanks very much for sharing, great information!

QUOTE=moparhinck;242700]Here is the parts list for my 69 Polara:
10 1/2 aluminium bell housing (70-72) 130 tooth flywheel
Made the frame side bracket
Bought pedal assy, had the shaft coming to the z-bar
Found an OE z-bar on the locator (at a dealer)
The fork and pivot is '64-'65 B-body (I used Brewers website to see all the possible ones)

That put everything in line, I don't run an over-center spring, because I have a diagram style pressure plate

The tunnel was a repop, of a '65-'68 C-body, and it only took a little playing with to make fit.
The carpet is kit for 4-speed c-body (showed 65-72 in the catalog), the only issue was the seat belt covers.
The shifter and trans is all B-body, direct fit.
I used the stock cross member and mount, and driveshaft[/QUOTE]

1969-dodge-polara-hardtop-in-motion.jpg

1969-dodge-polara-hardtop-interior-view.jpg

Thanks, am just investigating and sharing. Am still basically a window shopper, whereas your good self has actually completed a conversion, and on a car that was NEVER optioned with a manual trans (no 3 on the Tree even), so I think you had a far harder time and had to be quite inventive I would imagine (?).

Ever think of a thread on that, teach us all how you did it? Pretty please?

Priceless. Sticky if we actually had any...

Thanks, am just investigating and sharing. Am still basically a window shopper, whereas your good self has actually completed a conversion, and on a car that was NEVER optioned with a manual trans (no 3 on the Tree even), so I think you had a far harder time and had to be quite inventive I would imagine (?).

Ever think of a thread on that, teach us all how you did it? Pretty please?
Are you talking about a the 4 speed into the NYB or my converting a Fury /6 3 on the column to a 440 4 spd?

The former. Did not previously know about the latter, that sounds VERY interesting, details please!
Summary:
Former- Nobody is ever going to do one again so it's not worth repeating.
Latter - EVERYTHING had to be mix and matched/modified/fabbed/and or upgraded from A to Z except for the actual brake and clutch pedal assembly of which you can buy the repro pedal pads.

C'mon Stan, need more info than that, spread the love Buddy!

What year was the Slant 6 car, was it a Fusie like Mike's? In your case, did you also have to fab custom engine mounts, or did you change the stub-frame?

Did you install a factory tunnel hump, or have to use a repro?

Please post some pix of the car for inspiration.

QUOTE=commando1;242770]Summary:
Former- Nobody is ever going to do one again so it's not worth repeating.
Latter - EVERYTHING had to be mix and matched/modified/fabbed/and or upgraded from A to Z except for the actual brake and clutch pedal assembly of which you can buy the repro pedal pads.[/QUOTE]

Back