400 Electronic Ignition Upgrade

MKTSC

Reaction score
Purchased an Electronic Ignition upgrade for my 67 Fury from Bouchillon Performance:
BPE Street Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit (B Engine) - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

Little back story, my Fury has a 400 in place of the original 383. Car runs decent, I rebuilt the Stromberg 2bbl and fixed the choke. Car starts on the button, and generally runs good for a driver. The car does log some truly abysmal fuel economy however. My average MPG is around 9. In the quest to make it a better driver, I decided to start by upgrading to an electronic ignition. In preparation for the install I wanted to consult other owners with a few questions.

-I plan on putting fresh plugs and a good quality set of wires on with the install. I know it's a very subjective topic, but what's a good plug to use on these B engines?

-What timing specs do these smog era 400's like? I can pull the book specs, but what are other owners actually running on their street engines?

Thanks in advance,

-MK

Better upgrade your charging system first or you'll have problems!

Early Charging System modified for use with a 70 style VR

There are a number of reasons one might want to upgrade a per-1970 system to a transistorized voltage regulator. The list of reason include
•Chrysler recommends you switch to a transistorized VR if you upgrade to an electronic ignition from a points style ignition.
charging system overview

Most BB like around 35-36° total timing with all the mechanical in and vacuum disconnected. This should put you in the mid teens at idle, as long as it idles well and does not kick back against the starter all is well.

I run RJ12YC's on my 383. Any reason you are choosing the Bouchillon over the Pertronix system?

No real reason. The Bouchillon is modeled after the old Mopar kits, which are no longer available. Good price, well reviewed, and fits stock applications well.

I've run a ton of Pertronix Ignitor kits on other cars and trucks with great luck.

So I got a new set of plug wires and some NGK XR5 plugs to install with the new ignition.

Think I need to upgrade the stock ignition coil? It's fairly new and in good working order...

Back