'55 New Yorker Deluxe sleeper

[email protected]

Reaction score
I own a '55 NYD and many years ago I secured a complete dual quad w/batwing air cleaner and pods from a '55 300.

I'd like to make a sleeper out of the 331 Hemi in the NYD by installing the 300 gear in my sedan.

What am I looking at doing to be authentic vs. installing to look exceptionally cool while pounding around wasting fuel.

Last edited:
I own a '55 NYD and many years ago I secured a complete dual quad w/batwing air cleaner and pods from a '55 300.

I'd like to make a sleeper out of the 331 Hemi in the NYD by installing the 300 gear in my sedan.

What am i looking at doing to be authentic vs. installing for looks and wasting fuel.

Sounds like an interesting project. I assume it is a 2 door model then? Photos are always welcome.

deluxe1.JPG

Those are nice cars and well built. It looks to be in great shape too. I am confident it will turn out to be a surefire sleeper.

Last edited:

What am I looking at doing to be authentic vs. installing to look exceptionally cool while pounding around wasting fuel.

From the authentic side, I think you might want to look for an appropriate cam to go with all of that carburetion. You'll be replacing one 2V with TWO 4V carbs, so your engine is going to see a whole lot more air and a whole lot more fuel. Why not make the most of it with the right cam. I'm thinking OE cams may be difficult to source, but somewhere like HotHeads might have a better idea where to look if they don't have them themselves.

Hell, if you really want to go the sleeper route, find a 392 to swap in, in place of that 331 !!

My mind is just spooling up on the possibilities for something like this. After you've got that 392 settled in to those frame rails, it's time to think about that adapter plate that you mount to the back of it to hook it up to a 700R4. There are guys out there who will make you a cable to allow you to keep your Powerflite buttons. And of course, since you've now got overdrive, a bigger gear in the rear axle is the next step. Stock ratio IIRC, is around 3.36:1, so a 3:91 with a 0.7 overdrive is going to let you really mess with those fox body Mustangs at the stoplight grands prix and also let you pass the occasional gas station on the interstate too. Then maybe a call to Vintage Air, think about putting Autopilot in the dash. Some disc brakes out front to have some whoa to match the go.

I think there's a bunch of us here who could have a really good time with your credit card!

Lol!! Kevin, you and I think a lot alike!! I love the idea of a "factory look" Autopilot (even though it wasn't available 'til 58), and AC is an absolute MUST.

well you can do this via swap meets , its a aftermarket intake w small mouth afb's . the 55 had wcfb didn't it . there out there i might have the one that came with my nyr 331 . the 300 had a solid cam with special rocker covers also . its going in this .
DSC01696.JPG

DSC03616.JPG

DSC03617.JPG

From the authentic side, I think you might want to look for an appropriate cam to go with all of that carburetion. You'll be replacing one 2V with TWO 4V carbs, so your engine is going to see a whole lot more air and a whole lot more fuel. Why not make the most of it with the right cam. I'm thinking OE cams may be difficult to source, but somewhere like HotHeads might have a better idea where to look if they don't have them themselves.

Hell, if you really want to go the sleeper route, find a 392 to swap in, in place of that 331 !!

Already a stock Carter 4bbl from factory.

Hell, if you really want to go the sleeper route, find a 392 to swap in, in place of that 331

Last edited:
no 301 331 354 are all low deck motors , like 350 361 383 b motors . 392 is a raised deck , like rb383 413 426 440 . but all low deck motors 301 331 354 could have either poly or hemi heads , 392 was only a hemi headed motor . there are more differences , up to 54 was different heads and water pump , then in 55 used the same water pump as the 392 , but heads are different do to the blocks low , raised decks . same water passages . you can put 55 56 301 331 354 heads on a 57 58 392 , but you need spacers for the intake manifolds to fit . they shear the same intakes . but cams will not interchange between low and raised deck motor , different bank angles on the lifter bores . yes they look the same but aren't . oh ya rocker covers are the same , for chryslers . now dodges and desotos are another animals again , desoto was a hemi only . but dodge was both poly or hemi , low n raised deck stuff again . but plymouth sheared dodge motors low or raised deck with poly heads only , but one year fury used a chrysler hemi . does christine ring a hemi bell . and they all early motors shear the same bellhousing bolt pattern and crank pattern and location of the crank flange . hope i helped , lol . it can be a eye opener . the pic is a 55 windsor 301 with 55 hemi heads . it came as a poly headed motor and yes thats a 6-71 huff'r with two port hilborns sitting atop it .

DSC03449.JPG

Last edited:
well you can do this via swap meets , its a aftermarket intake w small mouth afb's . the 55 had wcfb didn't it . there out there i might have the one that came with my nyr 331 . the 300 had a solid cam with special rocker covers also . its going in this . View attachment 116333

It's been awhile since I've seen velocity stacks!

Very cool!

add small mouth ones are harder to come up with . well i did swap meets like a demond for some years , grabbed as much of the stuff i could , still left some stuff on the shelves for you guys though , lol .

ya austin a40 is one of my favorite gass'rs of all time , had one 4dr street'r with a jap 1400cc 4bann'r in it , all the running gear from a b210 , front disc clip from a toy . i did not build it . the guy that had was moving and the wify would not let him bring it to their new place , i rim'd n tired it ( used strint style they looked halibrandish ) , header and cherry bomb'd it , primed n scalip'd it . she was a cool beat'r driv'r . this one is getting hemi'd n a type writter 727 loadflite n american magnesium rims , moon tank , convica steering wheel , ect..... just like early days of dragracing . i must add there are only ruffly 200 2dr sed's in the austin registry world wide .

Back