65 Newport Steering Wheel Resto

65Newport

Reaction score
Finally no rain and did a resto on the steerint wheel. It was cracked, chipped, small digs, etc. Started taking the big cracks and making a reverse V cut in them to get more to hold the PC7 in. Didn't go a deep on smaller ones, used Bondo on digs and K2 primer for the hairline ones. Lot of sanding and priming, and filled the small in holes that kept showing up where I missed them, amazing what show up with primer on it. Finally got it smooth and painted with urethane the color it was original. 100_4109.jpg100_4108.jpg

100_4109.jpg

100_4108.jpg

Do you happen to have a before photo of the wheel? Nice job.
Sorry, but we had all that rain in South Carolina and finally had a dry day and I just grabbed the wheel off and got started, not knowing if the rain would start again, but I can tell you it was full of cracks, some big, some not so bit. Using the PC7 after grinding them in an inverted V was a start, then sand apply 2k primer, see where I missed, then bondo, primer, more bondo so not to get too much at once, more sanding, primer and finally gel and surface coat and final sanding with 400 dry and then paint.

Hi,

I've read a lot of accounts of people successfully restoring their wheels but more of people trying it unsuccessfully. Some of the points you mention, I've not heard before. I'm a novice on bodywork and it seems this is basically the approach you took. Do you have brands of PC7, 2k primer, bondo, gel, and surface coat? I would think bondo would be easy but I know some has fibers in it. I'm guessing that would be a bad idea for this purpose.

Thanks

Back