66 300 Cluster f*#@ed??

Dobalovr

Being on the Cbody diet SUCKS!
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
So found out why I have a non operational fuel guage. Both pin connectors are broken off the cluster board that lead to the guage. Before I spend a whole bunch of time upside down removing the cluster is it possible to solder the pins back on with any hope of success? Should I send the cluster out to have it rebuilt which means sending it stateside? Ammeter operational all lights work just the fuel guage problem. Can the guage be swapped on its own? FSM not to detailed about this.

Regardless of what you may believe, you'll have to remove the cluster to explore your options. I see no reason why you can't reattach the pins even if it involves 2-part epoxy and a bit of solder. Once you see the exact task in detail, you can evaluate your options and skills in repairing it. If setting the pins back in place is an issue, find the ends of the feed wires for that particular gauge and extend them to connect to the proper coded wires on the harness that leads to the gauge. If that becomes an serious issue for some particular reason, there are people here in Canada that can do it for you. You'll just have to do a bit of research to find the right place. Search online or ask around at speed shops, electronic repair shops and the likes.

I have a whole instrument cluster, and I think I have some circuit board stuff if needed. Let me know.

Thanks guys all good suggestions. I will start with removing the cluster and evaluate from there. Read a few posts about removing the cluster but any advice appreciated. FSM has basic info and its not the first time ive dived into a cluster removal but they were all mid 70's wish me luck!

I had the same issue on our 66 New Yorker. If you are not concerned with been original.
You can solder wires to the circuit board then solder the pins to the wires. Will be easier to reconnect after cluster is reinstalled. The cluster is not too bad to remove. Will be a pain the first time.

Thanks Kevin they look like a good source to go to if I can't perform the fix 66Newyorker mentioned.

So found out why I have a non operational fuel guage. Both pin connectors are broken off the cluster board that lead to the guage. Before I spend a whole bunch of time upside down removing the cluster is it possible to solder the pins back on with any hope of success?

I was able to repair the broken pins on my board. Below are a couple photos of how I did it. Basically I had some brads that I cut short enough to fit into the broken pins. I put the brads in from the far side and soldered the pins back onto the board. The brads were brass-plated so the solder stuck to them. The end result was very solid pins on the board. Just be aware that the brad heads might contact something metal and take appropriate precautions (file them down, etc).
IMG_20140105_170525_125.jpg

IMG_20140105_170545_723.jpg

IMG_20140105_170618_187.jpg

DIY Rivet/Terminal tool.
AWwMPuk.jpg

Use snips of 16, 14, 12 GA solid core copper wire from standard home wiring.
Also, it looks like if you drill a perfect hole in a block of steel, you can do the same thing.

Is'nt it funny how we generally think the worse case scenario when things go wrong. I believe most of us possess the ability to resolve most problems once we have a clear picture of what it is we're dealing with. Armed with the right information and a bit of "yet to be discovered" talent, it's amazing what we can accomplish on our own. "Cudo's" to you for resolving this issue without going to outside jobbers. Now take the money you saved and buy yourself a cold beer or a cheap women and languish in the self satisfaction of a job done well! Neither of these will require fixing unless she goes skunky.

I'd just cut the pins off and solder wire into the holes and put a connector away from the board, take the stress off the board.Alan

Brilliant idea as well!I like that. :eek:ccasion14: I would do that if I haven't reapired mine already!

Is'nt it funny how we generally think the worse case scenario when things go wrong. I believe most of us possess the ability to resolve most problems once we have a clear picture of what it is we're dealing with. Armed with the right information and a bit of "yet to be discovered" talent, it's amazing what we can accomplish on our own. "Cudo's" to you for resolving this issue without going to outside jobbers. Now take the money you saved and buy yourself a cold beer or a cheap women and languish in the self satisfaction of a job done well! Neither of these will require fixing unless she goes skunky.

As Gunny Highway would say, "You improvise, you overcome, you adapt". It's what you do! Good job.

It never occurred to me that NOS circuit boards would be available and I run a Chrysler Dealership! Seems to me that replacing the board with the NOS unit and doing the really cool pin fix on the original gives me lots of options. Thanks for the post!

I've never seen those nails.
Home center stuff?

I have no idea where that box of nails came from. Probably been rattling around my place (and my parents place before me) for 40 years. Things like that just kinda collect, with the intention of "someday I just know I'll need these"....

Back