71 Chrysler 300 - vinyl molding trim

Reaction score
Hi. I want to find out how to find and replace vinyl trim molding on a 1971 Chrysler 300. Do you know anyone? Thank you for your time.

vinyl trim molding (1).jpeg

vinyl trim molding (2).jpeg

vinyl trim molding (3).jpeg

No one reproduces those trim insert moldings.

I had to make my own using ribbed vinyl floor mats made in rolls so the vinyl insert would be long enough without breaks down the molding. In my case, I used black ribbed vinyl and painted the entire cut strips white and then took a folded cloth and wiped the paint off the upper part of the moldings, leaving the lower part white down in the ribs (the cloth was dampened with acetone). Then I glued the ribbed moldings to the metal trim with a two part epoxy made by JB Weld.

If you can find some brown ribbed vinyl floor mats in rolls, or maybe a company might make a roll in that color as special order, then you could do the same thing by painting cut strip lengths in black and rubbing off the top portion to reveal the brown again.

I used that technique on this car that I sold recently to Austria.

1971 Evening Blue Metallic Chrysler 300

Here are some photos of moldings on that car and another one I sold more recently. It was very hard to tell the difference between the moldings on these cars vs original ones. I used vinyl spray paint so it would adhere best. I keep my cars in a garage and don't drive them in poor weather.

2019-11-27 00.43.38 - Copy.jpg

2019-11-27 00.39.59 - Copy.jpg

2019-05-30 00.28.45.jpg

2019-05-30 00.23.33.jpg

Last edited:
I may have some of the vinyl insert that I could peel off my dented moldings and sell. It should be the same brown color.

I will try to remember to take a look over the weekend.

Jeff

No one reproduces those trim insert moldings.

I had to make my own using ribbed vinyl floor mats made in rolls so the vinyl insert would be long enough without breaks down the molding. In my case, I used black ribbed vinyl and painted the entire cut strips white and then took a folded cloth and wiped the paint off the upper part of the moldings, leaving the lower part white down in the ribs (the cloth was dampened with acetone). Then I glued the ribbed moldings to the metal trim with a two part epoxy made by JB Weld.

If you can find some brown ribbed vinyl floor mats in rolls, or maybe a company might make a roll in that color as special order, then you could do the same thing by painting cut strip lengths in black and rubbing off the top portion to reveal the brown again.

I used that technique on this car that I sold recently to Austria.

1971 Evening Blue Metallic Chrysler 300

Here are some photos of moldings on that car and another one I sold more recently. It was very hard to tell the difference between the moldings on these cars vs original ones. I used vinyl spray paint so it would adhere best. I keep my cars in a garage and don't drive them in poor weather.

View attachment 479443

View attachment 479445

View attachment 479451

View attachment 479452

Hi. Thank you for your technical procedure with the possibility of making lines. I'll try to find the right material. Have a nice day to the USA. Sean.

Don't give up on me yet. I'm just a little slow on getting these photos up for you.

Here's what I have. It's a little dirty, and probably a bit faded, but I think it will clean up, and maybe a good coat of vinyl preservative will bring it back to life.

Looks like you need enough to do your door and fender. Are you missing it in any other spots?

img_0682.jpg

IMG_0681.JPG

Jeff

Thanks for the offer. Nice to find. I'm in no hurry. I'm happy for every meter of this vinyl. I only have two original moldings on the passenger side (rear door and rear body part).

The code on that factory label in front of the battery is V5T (TAN).

moldings 71 300 4HT (1).jpg

moldings 71 300 4HT (2).jpg

You're missing a lot more than I expected. Almost every piece of trim.

I'll check to see how much I have, but I don't think it will be enough. You may have to use Steve's trick and make your own.

Jeff

Most of the 71 300s by now have lost most all of their moldings as the factory adhesive was not up to the job. Since I probably have the world's most 71 300s in one place, I had to come up with something! A bit crazy after all these years. :realcrazy:

Most of the 71 300s by now have lost most all of their moldings as the factory adhesive was not up to the job. Since I probably have the world's most 71 300s in one place, I had to come up with something! A bit crazy after all these years. :realcrazy:

You solution did work out great. I don't think that I would have noticed that they weren't original, even up close.

Jeff

I took a closer look at how much vinyl insert is left, and it's not nearly enough to replace what you are missing. Unfortunately, someone ran a bunch of screws through the insert on the passenger quarter. The driver door only has half it's insert and the rest is missing.

I think your best bet would be to try Steve's trick.

Maybe he can post an example of the type of vinyl flooring that he used.

Jeff

The Gold car sold a couple years ago now and I recently saw it in person. There was no change in the appearance of those restored moldings from when I made them - i.e. no fading of the colors or any evidence of starting to peel at all. I was pleased to see that since the car is running around in Southern California a lot. The owner loves driving it everywhere he can.

For the sake of completeness, I meant to cover the details of my ordering the roll of vinyl ribbed material to make the insert moldings from. I ordered the material from American Floor Mats. You can call them to place your order
at (800) 762-9010 (US & Canada only) or 240-715-3333 or you can email them at: help@americanfloormats.com.

I ordered item number: SN-730

Size was a role 2' wide, 1/8" thick and 8' long, color in my case was black. I cut the width to the same dimension as the original vinyl moldings and the cost was about $40 back in 2018 when I placed the order.

Back