For Sale 72 Imperial DFW $16,000.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaFuse

Reaction score
Contact seller
1972 Chrysler Imperial

image.jpeg

I believe the mileage. But priced significantly higher than the market will bear I believe. It seems lately, sellers think these 70 - 73 Imperial 4 doors are worth double what they were a year ago for some reason?

I recall a really nice 36K mile tan 4 door 1972 Imperial with a white interior the same as this car bid up to $8400 in June 2016 on Ebay and didn't sell. This car with more miles and a not so desirable color is worth double the seller thinks? I don't think so...................

So, can it be said that the low mileage for these cars is due to:
A) Poor quality
or
B) Thirst?

I would have kept driving mine, I think they're lovely.

C) Well heeled senior owners that had a car for every day of the month or had a Sunday go to meeting car or a car that was kept at "The Hamptons".

People in the tax bracket that could buy these cars don't as a rule tolerate crap and fuel mileage while perhaps being noted would then be dismissed.

Kevin

Nothing wrong with green.

Hard to judge actual condition with those nice pictures.

So, can it be said that the low mileage for these cars is due to:
A) Poor quality
or
B) Thirst?

I would have kept driving mine, I think they're lovely.
Stop focusing on the mileage, true or not it makes little difference on any car of this age. How well she was maintained and stored will matter far more.

At a glance, the interior looks good... she was stored with some protection. Rust issues would be related to use and washing. Paint, if original. would be a factor in outdoor storage.

Mileage really only plays out as a good thing to watch if you have a well documented survivor and want to sell to the big name auction crowd. Low mileage is often worse for overall mechanical condition.

Lots of $$$$ for a "mostly restored" vehicle. Strange to require restioration after only 58,000 miles. Perhaps 158,000???

Yep. Odometer says: 158000

Any Mopar odometer that has rolled over never has all of the individual numeric wheels line up again. That's designed in.

Yep. Odometer says: 158000

Any Mopar odometer that has rolled over never has all of the individual numeric wheels line up again. That's designed in.
Point-Counterpoint:
I believe that's a myth, but that's only my opinion through personal, but very limited, personal observations. Never seen documentation to prove or disprove either.

Sidebar: I know I read somewhere, sometime, that there were Mopar odometers that smudged a faint blue dye on the first digit when the the odometer rolled over. Again, no proof.

Heyy Stan,,
Did ya notice it has yer favorite rad hose.... :)

The Auto Temp does not work and the A/C comp
is wired separately..
The interior looks like it was redone in vinyl or has
one hell of a dye job...
At 16Gs,, not gonna happen..
At 6Gs, unlikely ....

There are too many other choices for far far less money.....

Stop focusing on the mileage, true or not it makes little difference on any car of this age. How well she was maintained and stored will matter far more.

At a glance, the interior looks good... she was stored with some protection. Rust issues would be related to use and washing. Paint, if original. would be a factor in outdoor storage.

Mileage really only plays out as a good thing to watch if you have a well documented survivor and want to sell to the big name auction crowd. Low mileage is often worse for overall mechanical condition.

I usually agree with you Cantflip, but not on this one. I would always definitely prefer a low mileage car that was well maintained over a well maintained high mileage one. The electrical systems on these cars were their weakest points IMO, and they don't do well with mileage/use. And the interiors are nearly always better too. I tend to shy away from high mileage cars even if they were well maintained, unless they are my only option and I just have to have one.

I usually agree with you Cantflip, but not on this one. I would always definitely prefer a low mileage car that was well maintained over a well maintained high mileage one. The electrical systems on these cars were their weakest points IMO, and they don't do well with mileage/use. And the interiors are nearly always better too. I tend to shy away from high mileage cars even if they were well maintained, unless they are my only option and I just have to have one.
Thanks Steve, all things being equal... you are right. The point I was eluding to was the focus on mileage... there are plenty of low mile messes, with no other redeeming qualities and all you hear everyone talking about is the miles.

AFAIAC they worked on this car too much. In most cases I would rather do it myself and know what I've got. Maybe as much as 80-90% of the work I see up close brings disappointment. While I can live with compromise, I don't want to pay a premium for it.

Is a nice imp for $6500, if I didn't had my 70 Imperial already I would go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back