For Sale 74 Newport Navajo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that all of the Chrysler's had them in this depiction....

20170218_200102_resized.jpg

I wonder who got it? I got a reply from the guy saying that he was "waiting on someone to finish the transaction...and would let me know if the deal fell through" I never heard back from him.

No big ugly bumper guards in '74?
I liked the bumper guards on the 73 Chrysler , Plymouth and Dodge cars! I thought it was a good way to meet the 5mph and 2 and 1/2 mph crash test for the cars. That design looked better than Ford or Chevy. Their bumpers looked heavy and extended. Thought Chrysler did a nice job of balancing that.

Would like to see the fender tag if anyone here picked it up.
I'm betting its an early build

I don't believe they needed bumperettes because of the giant shocks on the back of the bumper.

Correct for the most part...some states still mandated bumperettes in 74. The giant rubber pucks on the 73's bought Chrysler enough time to design the shock system that remained all the way to 89.

bumper c copy.jpg

Chrysler had this perverse habit of building feature cars with minimal equipment. Maybe it was designed to be an eye-catcher that was bargain priced, or maybe the dealers ordered them thinking "nobody's going to buy this strange interior, so I don't want a whole lot of $$ tied up in this car" ?

dobalovr: want to weigh in on this as the guy who had to move this metal?

Chrysler had this perverse habit of building feature cars with minimal equipment. Maybe it was designed to be an eye-catcher that was bargain priced, or maybe the dealers ordered them thinking "nobody's going to buy this strange interior, so I don't want a whole lot of $$ tied up in this car" ?

dobalovr: want to weigh in on this as the guy who had to move this metal?

The practice of putting lipstick on a pig so to speak is still prevalent today. Throughout my career with Mother they were very adept at taking an otherwise plain model adding some bling and marketing to the Dealers as A Special or Limited run. Examples are Express trucks, Snapper Edition, Spring Specials. It helps to drive sales to a model usually mid production cycle that the "Buzz" has worn off without a redesign. Tuxedo Edition Prowlers, Cordoba Edition Newports, Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary, Mopar 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17 ad nauseum. Dude Editions were a good example of dressing up an otherwise boring pickup throwing some heavy marketing at it and voila sales increase for little investment. FCA is still by far much better at these "Buzz" vehicles today than either Phord or Chebbie.

The practice of putting lipstick on a pig so to speak is still prevalent today. Throughout my career with Mother they were very adept at taking an otherwise plain model adding some bling and marketing to the Dealers as A Special or Limited run. Examples are Express trucks, Snapper Edition, Spring Specials. It helps to drive sales to a model usually mid production cycle that the "Buzz" has worn off without a redesign. Tuxedo Edition Prowlers, Cordoba Edition Newports, Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary, Mopar 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17 ad nauseum. Dude Editions were a good example of dressing up an otherwise boring pickup throwing some heavy marketing at it and voila sales increase for little investment. FCA is still by far much better at these "Buzz" vehicles today than either Phord or Chebbie.

Great response. Thanks.

It was especially interesting to think that they could do something like this Navajo yet a few years later do the Limited Edition R-body New Yorkers and M-body LeBarons in 1979/1980. I thought those cars really were "Special".

Correct for the most part...some states still mandated bumperettes in 74. The giant rubber pucks on the 73's bought Chrysler enough time to design the shock system that remained all the way to 89.

View attachment 116581

Hence the term "Shocker" for Formal's by the derby crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back