Aftermarket radio hidden mounting option

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't bring myself to spending the money to modernize my factory radio at this time. I was looking to mount a modern radio in the glove box. I wanted a nice clean reversible look. I am pretty sure I found it.

This company of course doesn't offer a mount off the shelf for our c-bodies, but will make a custom mount for nearly the same cost of around $65 dollar. You make measurements that work for their standardized blueprinted CAD program and then the mount is cut and powder coated.

TMC Customs, LLC

Here is a photo I pulled of what their mount looks like.

Custom radio mount.jpg

I bought an aftermarket radio for my 66 300 and it wouldn't fit in the glove box. I ended up making a box for to mount in and put it under the seat. Got an aftermarket antenna mounted under the seat as well. I mainly listen to CDs or play music from my phone. so I don't need to see the faceplate at all times... And if anyone snoops around. The original a.m. radio still works with the single speaker on the dash. Funny there weren't any rear speakers in my car...

They mention that you need to be able to remove your glove box. I have had it out to access the front speaker in the dash. It will now be remain out and stored for later re-installation. Still surprised that they were made out of cardboard.

I can't bring myself to spending the money to modernize my factory radio at this time. I was looking to mount a modern radio in the glove box. I wanted a nice clean reversible look. I am pretty sure I found it.

This company of course doesn't offer a mount off the shelf for our c-bodies, but will make a custom mount for nearly the same cost of around $65 dollar. You make measurements that work for their standardized blueprinted CAD program and then the mount is cut and powder coated.

TMC Customs, LLC

I'm going to build a little console to sit on the hump below the dash of my car to put a radio, speakers and gauges in this winter. You've probably got a center console in your car which axes that idea. The radio that I'm looking at has a remote so that I won't have to be distracted trying to reach to make adjustments. I'm not sure ow far the remotes will go, but maybe you could get on like that and put something in the trunk.

Zymurgy, if you haven't boughten a stereo yet, look for one that has a remote.
With the Fury1 being a radio delete I didn't want to mess with anything on the dash. Even the inside of the glove box is in really nice condition. So I picked up one a thing called SectretAudio and mounted it in the trunk on the side of the aluminum battery box. Flush mounted speakers under the package tray and the interior guy put a mesh over it so you can't see the speaker perforations. It has connections for Sirius XM, iPod, USB, AM/FM, etc and controlled by a remote. Works great.
SECRETAUDIO.COM

With the Fury1 being a radio delete I didn't want to mess with anything on the dash. Even the inside of the glove box is in really nice condition. So I picked up one a thing called SectretAudio and mounted it in the trunk on the side of the aluminum battery box. Flush mounted speakers under the package tray and the interior guy put a mesh over it so you can't see the speaker perforations. It has connections for Sirius XM, iPod, USB, AM/FM, etc and controlled by a remote. Works great.
SECRETAUDIO.COM

Thanks for the tip I looked at them too. I have been debating them all for a while. Going with the cheap temporary solution for now. I actually wired for the glove box or factory location nearly 3 years ago, when I gutted the interior.

I bought an aftermarket radio for my 66 300 and it wouldn't fit in the glove box.

You are right Fury1 a standard radio probably won't fit in the glove box. I thought that maybe once the interior portion of the glove box was removed one would easily fit in. It will be very close. I am going to try first. I found a good deal on one with a CD player. Plan B is a radio without a CD player. There are several out there now and they are 2 inches less deep and will fit in.

I am going to make my own mounting bracket. It will be pretty simple to fit. It will be held in place by 3 machine screws on the bottom and 2 tabs on the sides. Here is my poster board mock up.

Radio mount.sm.jpg

Have you looked into a product called RediRad

Ken

I am looking to upgrade the whole system. Since I will be using the factory speaker location I am using 3 1/2 speakers side by side, front and back, and a sub-woofer, in the trunk. I want a new radio because I also want an FM radio.

Our local Drive-in broadcasts the movie over a FM channel

I bought a repop glove box liner for my 65 Coronet and, using a simple "U" shaped bracket attached to the inside top, mounted a kenwood radio. I retained use of the glovebox for the car papers, radio info book and maps.
The radio has provision for a remote CD player, MP3 player, (which is all I use), and a remote amp.
It's a convertible, which limited the options to mount speakers, so I mounted two 5" 3 way's in homemade wood boxes. I use 10' of speaker wire on each, with RCA connectors, and can locate them where ever I want them. Usually on the rear floor when cruising or on the boot while at shows, cruise in's etc.

radio in dash (Large).jpg
speaker (Large).jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 69556 View attachment 69557 View attachment 69556 View attachment 69557 I bought a repop glove box liner for my 65 Coronet and, using a simple "U" shaped bracket attached to the inside top, mounted a kenwood radio. I retained use of the glovebox for the car papers, radio info book and maps.
The radio has provision for a remote CD player, MP3 player, (which is all I use), and a remote amp.
It's a convertible, which limited the options to mount speakers, so I mounted two 5" 3 way's in homemade wood boxes. I use 10' of speaker wire on each, with RCA connectors, and can locate them where ever I want them. Usually on the rear floor when cruising or on the boot while at shows, cruise in's etc.

Ditto.

Useless piece of dashboard filler.

My music has always been a large part of my "cruising" enjoyment. I like the exhaust decibel level to be as low as possible.

Mike,

If you plan on converting the original radio, I highly recommend you don't cut any of the factory pigtail to make the aftermarket radio work. Fabricate your own harness from a junk radio. I still don't understand why you don't just hold off until you are able to do what you want: convert the original head unit. I can't imagine you are driving the car much now and a conversion isn't much more than you are spending on an aftermarket unit.

I am starting to see your logic Scott. I would more than likely be sending back the head unit I ordered, because it will be too big. There are a few places out there for conversion. Who would you recommend?

Back