Big old '48 Crown Imperial

Ahhh thanks Steve I didn't catch that.
Ok then I should add that for $15k he should at least wash it AND Put the window cranks back on, oh and put some Behold on that dash, wood or plastic. There how's that.
If he wants a pretty penny, I think an hour's worth of cleaning would be a good investment.

But then it wouldn't have original barn dust on it anymore :poke:

The owner lost interest in it many years ago and judging by how the car is presented for sale, I'd say the asking price would be quite negotiable. These C40s are recognized as Full Classics by the Classic Car Club of America, a bit dissapointing to see this particular one languishing in a shed for all those years.

If he wants a pretty penny, I think an hour's worth of cleaning would be a good investment.
Sometimes you can't win in that kind of situation.
People will accuse you of dragging out an old car, cleaning it up, and then selling a polished turd.

Chrysler enginged Facel Vegas were about the last ones with this Kind of artwork. Then came plastic, while I have to admit, some American cars had plastic Wood Panels that looked better to my uneducated eye than genuine Wood.

6c37a71b075a5f8b0bdcac3b45669714.jpg

well an a40 blown hemi gasser , not sure whats the full plans for the 4 dr or cab cut off . my 2dr doors are in need of all the hardware n hinges and window stuff . and they are very rare , only 200 2dr seds known of in the world . i've been a gasser fan since i was a kid building model cars . one of my faves was the a40 drag gasser . still in collecting mode for the right pieces , and time n space to get her done n keep her in .
DSC03449.JPG
DSC09342.JPG
DSC09187.JPG
DSC04701.JPG
DSC04709.JPG
DSC04707.JPG
48 a40 austin devon cutoff.jpg
DSC00350.JPG

Although it looks like wood, I think it is actually plastic - and it has held up well. At least it was in our families' 1948 Dodge. That car does have crank windows, not power but some of the handles are not mounted, but rather on the floors.
the windows are in fact hydraulic

One of my favourite (Chrysler) Imperials: 1948 Chrysler Crown Imperial
1948 Chrysler Crown Imperial Touring Sedan... Survivor
Last registered in California 1966
Has original paint and chrome, both should polish up nicely with few blemishes....Original interior clean needs minor attention,
Jump seats, Sunvisor
Has some rust around trunk lip
We purchased the vehicle in 2002 from a large estate in Portola Valley with History
Brought home, got it running, cleaned the gas tank....Lost interest and has been parked in our garage ever since
Needs tires
VIN# C402249
For appointment to purchase call show contact info
View attachment 190002
View attachment 190003
View attachment 190004
View attachment 190005
View attachment 190006
View attachment 190007
Hey guys - I'm the new kid on the block. I realize this is an old post, tried to follow the link to the seller but not finding much. Does anyone know anything more this car? I have current info but trying to trace back. It ended up on eBay in July 2018, sold in Aromas CA. Any insight/add'l info greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Tapped for cash currently, but my personal goal by the time I hang 'em up would be to own a car from each decade. Hopefully you'll have no problem finding that baby a nice home.
I'm trying to find out who that owner was back then, any details?

Hey guys - I'm the new kid on the block. I realize this is an old post, tried to follow the link to the seller but not finding much. Does anyone know anything more this car? I have current info but trying to trace back. It ended up on eBay in July 2018, sold in Aromas CA. Any insight/add'l info greatly appreciated! Thank you!
You mean you know where the car is now?

You mean you know where the car is now?
yes - sure do! I posted this on a different thread: Indeed there was 1 on BAT, I was the high bidder in January & tried to negotiate with the seller off & on since then. He wouldn't budge on price. In all fairness, he put a significant amt. of time & parts into the car, it's running well. I finally picked it up Friday, I could not pass it up - it's quite the ride. Went to Cars & Coffee Saturday AM & people were crawling all over it. This looks like a great place to learn & meet good peeps.

IMG_5830.jpg

IMG_5831.jpg

IMG_6053.jpg

IMG_6054.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

Last edited:
yes - sure do! I posted this on a different thread: Indeed there was 1 on BAT, I was the high bidder in January & tried to negotiate with the seller off & on since then. He wouldn't budge on price. In all fairness, he put a significant amt. of time & parts into to get it running well. I finally picked it up Friday, I could not pass it up - it's quite the ride. Went to Cars & Coffee Saturday AM & people were crawling all over it. This looks like a great place to learn & meet good peeps.

View attachment 659690

View attachment 659691

View attachment 659692

View attachment 659693

View attachment 659694
Congratulations, enjoy, that is a beautiful car.

perhaps the CRAZIEST part of all, and a key reason I was intrigued, is the cars history. The car was part of a large collection owned by the Woods family in Portola Valley, CA "near" San Francisco. It was a wealthy family with a spoiled, lazy & rather odd son. The son kept buying cars, about 100 inc. fire engines, taxis, busses, etc. In 1976, the son & 2 friends hijacked a school bus with 26 children ages 5-14 along with the bus driver. There was a national manhunt looking for the trio - all three were captured within days. None of the children were physically harmed and the 3 kidnappers spent over 49 yrs in prison. They were denied parole more than a dozen times, Woods was finally released in 2002 at age 70. I have a significant amount of documentation about the earlier history of the car too, as well as the kidnapping etc. Chowchilla bus kidnapping: Rare photos from one of the largest abductions in U.S. history https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/02/us/chowchilla-kidnapping-escape-cnn-film/index.html Can't make this stuff up....

Back