brake light+ hazard light problem

Straight eight

Reaction score
Hi to everybody,
on my 1969 Chrysler Newport i´ve problems with my brake light + hazard light. The problem is as follows: no brake lights at all.....hazard light, only on the front bulbs. The emergency flasher is clicking....seems to work. Turn signal works on front and tail lights....Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Sounds like a problem in your turn signal switch. The flasher is feeding the front circuit, but not the rear.

I have the wiring diagram of the 1969 Belvedere/Satellite/GTX. I think it´s very similar, even the color codes are the same....and yes you´re right...i think there is a problem with the turn signal switch. I tested two cables with a meter (to theturn signal switch) where i thought there must be voltage...but none (a dark green wire and a brown wire).

I have the wiring diagram of the 1969 Belvedere/Satellite/GTX. I think it´s very similar, even the color codes are the same....and yes you´re right...i think there is a problem with the turn signal switch. I tested two cables with a meter (to theturn signal switch) where i thought there must be voltage...but none (a dark green wire and a brown wire).
You have three wires going to the rear lights. A brown, green, and yellow. If I remember right, yellow is for left, and green is for right. The brown should be for your parking lights. Since your lights work on turn signal and stop, check the connections at the connector with your test light, if they work, then I would say it is the switch as your fronts work correctly.

o.k. just had a look at the wires to the rear lights at my car...brown is for the right, green for the left, black for the parking light and the violet for the back-up lamp. I turned on the blinker and tested with a meter at the connector to the turn signal switch (located at the steering column). And yes, they worked both...brown wire with the right turn, green wire with the left turn. So there is something wrong with the turn signal switch...am i right? An no, i´ve no stop lights at all.

o.k. just had a look at the wires to the rear lights at my car...brown is for the right, green for the left, black for the parking light and the violet for the back-up lamp. I turned on the blinker and tested with a meter at the connector to the turn signal switch (located at the steering column). And yes, they worked both...brown wire with the right turn, green wire with the left turn. So there is something wrong with the turn signal switch...am i right? An no, i´ve no stop lights at all.
Do you have a meter, if so check for continuity at the brake light switch with the pedal up, (not applied), and down, (applied). could be a bad brake light switch. Then let me know.

o.k. new day, new luck....Checked the brake light switch...seems to work. Pedal up (not applied) = no voltage at the white wire, pedal down (applied) = voltage. Checked this procedure at the turn signal switch....no voltage at the green and brown wire (rear turn signal lamps). So the issue is the turn signal switch...i hope so. I removed the steering wheel to have a look at the switch...and in my opinion it has its best days behind. The wire are all in the proper place i think but there were two small pins/pieces of metal that i´ve found in the column (see picture). Also the flashing lever was/is worn out.

IMG_20170207_162103.jpg

IMG_20170207_162019.jpg

o.k. new day, new luck....Checked the brake light switch...seems to work. Pedal up (not applied) = no voltage at the white wire, pedal down (applied) = voltage. Checked this procedure at the turn signal switch....no voltage at the green and brown wire (rear turn signal lamps). So the issue is the turn signal switch...i hope so. I removed the steering wheel to have a look at the switch...and in my opinion it has its best days behind. The wire are all in the proper place i think but there were two small pins/pieces of metal that i´ve found in the column (see picture). Also the flashing lever was/is worn out.
Sounds like that is it. Get a new switch and plug it in and test before you take the column apart. Also get a new flasher switch.

o.k got it...you mean the complete unit (switch with flasher switch) like the ebay listing. Will just order one. Thank you very much!!! You have been a big help!!!

With only one picture it is hard to tell if it is the complete switch. I cannot tell if the canceling cam is included. Please send me a picture when you get it. Then I will tell you a trick on how to get the wires thru the steering column so you don't mess the wires up. Also do not take the old switch out until you get the new one. Talk to you soon.

O.K. problem solved....few days ago i received the complete turn signal switch (canceling cam is included). Perfect reproduction part! Installed it with no problems....all the lights are working now...thank you traintech55 for your help. Next step is dealing with the charging issues of my Newport...... Here is a picture of the switch:

IMG_20170227_201030.jpg

IMG_20170227_201200.jpg

O.K. problem solved....few days ago i received the complete turn signal switch (canceling cam is included). Perfect reproduction part! Installed it with no problems....all the lights are working now...thank you traintech55 for your help. Next step is dealing with the charging issues of my Newport...... Here is a picture of the switch:
Your welcome. Let us know what you have with the charging system.

Back