C body Concept Cars

300Nutter

Reaction score
For some reason I remembered there were a couple C-body Concept Cars that Chrysler put out in the '60s and '70s.

The "70x" was one I really remembered. I think it was and idea that came out right about the time the Fuselage Generation was launched (1969).

I've seen it in a few books and online.

Wonder whatever happened to it?

1969_Chrysler_Concept_70X_02.jpg

1969_Chrysler_Concept_70X_02.jpg

That front shot kind of reminds me of this from Star Wars:

NabooRoyalStarship-SWE.png

Princess Amidala could have used it for her land transport / limo. :)

Anyway, I like the look and the fact that Chrysler had not given up on the future of the C body at that point!

Ok, finally found the pics of the 1966 "300x" concept car.

It's a factory modified '66 300, with "advanced concepts" mainly in the cockpit area.

Clean looking cosmetic upgrades too. At least Chrysler was trying to put some more "pizzaz" in the C body. :)

1966 Chrysler 300X Concept Car Rr Qtr BW.jpg
1966 Chrysler 300 Concept Car Interior BW.jpg
1966_Chrysler_300X_Concept_04.jpg
1966_Chrysler_300X_Concept_03.jpg

1966 Chrysler 300X Concept Car Rr Qtr BW.jpg

1966 Chrysler 300 Concept Car Interior BW.jpg

1966_Chrysler_300X_Concept_04.jpg

1966_Chrysler_300X_Concept_03.jpg

Our "cousins" at the Imperial Club have shown a 1971-ish rendering of the 1974 Imperial.

Obviously a styliized drawing, but a few cues (that "notch" at bottom of C-Pillar, skirts, etc) made it to the production car --sorta.

74 Imperial Concept.jpg
74 Imperial.jpg

More of the backstory of how the Imp rendering looks the way it does (down on its "haunches") was a car that was on the road in 1971.

The ' 72 Eldo vert is pictured..in fairness its "concept" drawing from late 1960's is shown too

You be the judge.:icon_confused:

72 Eldorado.jpg
Late 1960's Eldo concept.jpg

74 Imperial Concept.jpg

72 Eldorado.jpg

74 Imperial.jpg

Late 1960's Eldo concept.jpg

Last edited:
Caddy, Lincoln and Imperial were all look at each other's styling, I think, back then.

Lots of folks who drove all three.....picked the Imperials as the best drivers of the lot.

Unfortunately, Chrysler just couldn't convert that opinion into very many sales.

And...let's face it...a fully optioned New Yorker was "nearly as good" as an Imperial for less $$$.

(DUCKING, so I don't get hit!)

I aint gonna swing atcha bro'...all of our opinions on vehicle styling are welcome I think. :)

The reason I was ducking was for this comment:

"And...let's face it...a fully optioned New Yorker was "nearly as good" as an Imperial for less $$$."

Don't tell an Imperial fan that! :)

I gotcha...I have a '67 Crown Coupe (had newer ones too) so I am an Imp fan :D

yeah, i guess somebody could take offense (tongue-in-cheek I hope) to the statement..but it might have been close to true.

you could trick-out a "lower" model pretty good back in the day, for many of the Big Three manufacturers' models.

dunno for sure in the case of New Yorker/Imperials of this era but it wouldnt surprise me.

The late 1950's concept cars to revive DeSoto brand...never saw the light of day of course before Chrysler whacked the DeSoto brand.

I am pretty sure Desotos are not "C" bodies--having said that I don't know what platform they were..can anybody chime in?

1961-desoto-concept.jpg1962-desoto-concept.jpg

and then a version of the Turbine car from 1961...probably wholly "unbuildable" but ya gotta admire the audacity of the design (check out that wing)
1961 Turbine concept car.jpg
1961 Turbine concept car1.jpg1961 Turbine concept car2.jpg

1961-desoto-concept.jpg

1962-desoto-concept.jpg

1961 Turbine concept car.jpg

1961 Turbine concept car1.jpg

1961 Turbine concept car2.jpg

I am pretty sure Desotos are not "C" bodies--having said that I don't know what platform they were..can anybody chime in?
Technically,
Full size Mopars weren't designated by any platform nomenclature until the 1965 models.

Yes, I've seen the drawings of the 62 Desoto concept. Sure looks a lot better than what ended up as the 62 Dodge and Plymouth!

I've read the stories about how Extner was recovering for his heart attack about that time but before they made into production, there was the crash yo switch to the shorter wheelbase and the styling went WEIRD for about two years there. Really hurt Dodge and Plymouth sales too.

If they stayed with the longer 122" wheelbase and the plan to smooth the wings down, probably would have helped.

On the other hand, the shorter chassis eventually became the B chassis and with better looking bodies, Chysler Corp. sold lots of them throughout the 60s and 70s.

1961%20Turbine%20concept%20car2.jpg1966-Dodge-Charger003.jpg

Close resemblance to the 1st gen. Charger taillight Strip, closer than the actual 65 Show car for that part.

1961%20Turbine%20concept%20car2.jpg

1966-Dodge-Charger003.jpg

Back