Cars leaving American shores.

crv

Reaction score
This might have already been discussed at some point in time, but here goes anyway.
How do you Americans feel about all the classic, muscle, vintage, etc., cars leaving the USA for ports the world over?
I have seen numerous ads where the sellers specify that they will not deal with overseas buyers and have read comments here and there that US made cars should remain in the USA.
Thoughts?

This will be about the gazillionth time that somebody new has thought it would be cool to bring this topic up.
Newbies: Feel free to thrash it around.
Me? I've moved on. Not even an issue anymore.

Last edited:
With the internet, we are all pretty well linked together now. Personally, I don't have a problem where my cars are sold as long as they are well taken care of and people share their photos and progress - i.e. share the passion. I have visitors from many places in the world frequently and have formed many friendships with overseas folks. I find that we are all pretty much alike no matter where we are from. I like to keep an open mind and learn about other cultures and meet new people. It makes life more full.

There may well be more Forward Look cars in Sweden than there are here in the U.S. anymore, for example, but they are also making reproduction parts for them over there, while there is very little of that going on here in the U.S. I am still restoring 3 of those cars, and I can get really super quality reproduction dash pads from RD Autoline over there - no one makes a better dash pad, and their prices are really low, especially for the quality they put out. They are less than half the price of Just Dashes for example and the quality can't be compared. Without them, I would be in a bind.

As another example, desotogeorge on this site, also from Australia makes outstanding reproduction parts for Forward Look cars too, and I have an order with him pending. Without his help, I would be in trouble with my Forward Look cars once again, as he provides lots of emblems and tail lights and related parts that look like jewelry and better than the originals from Chrysler. Here is just one example of an emblem that goes on the flitesweep decklid of my 1960 Imperial Crown coupe:

Flitesweep Decklid Image.jpg

I have no idea what I would do without him making that piece, as no one else does. Here is the context for that emblem:

lebaron-2.jpg

He loves the 1974-8 formal wagons though, and has plenty of them. Nothing wrong with that at all. I help him with getting them and with transport to get them to Australia. So the help goes both ways. Our cars are better when we work and share together.

Last edited:
This will be about the gazillionth time that somebody new has thought it would be cool to bring this topic up.
Newbies: Feel free to thrash it around.
Me? I've moved on.
Your assumption about it 'being cool' is way off. It was through the comments section of another thread on this website that the thought came to me of posing the question to the folks on here, as well as, the general vibe gotten through the years reading American seller's comments on ebay and other places.
Not having the time nor the desire to go through years of posts and comments on here is the reason for beginning with 'this might have already been discussed'.
If people feel strongly against rehashing this topic, then it can removed, no problem.

I think these cars going over seas is a Wonderful thing. Most people that own C-Bodys (Old cars in General) take them for Granted or Abuse them. Leave them outside, Derby em. Europeans have a Great Respect and Admiration for them. That is wonderful. You know when they go over there, They will be Cared for a Great deal and live on another 50 years Hopefully. What more could you ask for.

Last edited:
I think it's disappointing. I am not a proponent of regulating other than putting the same duties on them that we would face to do the reverse.
I do get tired of the claim it is more sacred for them to go europe because somehow they are more appreciative than we are. Just my $.02

I think these cars going over seas is a Wonderful thing. Most people that own C-Bodys (Old cars in General) take them for Granted or Abuse them. Leave them outside, Derby em. Europeans have a Great Respect and Admiration for them. That is wonderful. You know when they go over there, They will be Cared for a Great deal and live on another 50 years Hopefully what more could tou ask for.
Unfortunately it's not always the case. I know of two Imperials that were not cared for at all. One was a 1968 Crown convertible which sat in the car park of a business for months, even during the wet period of winter, the top was down and probably inoperable, so was left like that, no cover on it, nothing.
The other was a 1965 Crown 4-door, apparently someone had traded another car for it but had not bothered to collect it. The bloke holding it for him had it sitting outside, then dumped it in a field among a few old rusted trucks and scrap metal, then after a couple of years the owner of that land wanted it gone, so it went back to the backyard of the fellow who was still holding the now rusted out Imperial. Last time I saw it, about three years ago, it was still out in the elements, neglected.
For the life of me, I cannot comprehend their rationale, I would've been elated to have owned either of those two cars.

Here's my problem, it is said Europeans have more respect for them. The Germans love them, the Fins love them, all these people love them over there but truth is, the guy that is into them over there loves them, not everyone . Not much different than here.
There are more guys here than there, by far.The country is much larger cars are spread out more, which is why you don't see them everywhere.
We have way more shows, cruises and events than there you can't go to all of them...
Major events, again many more Mopar specific events here. A fellow doesn't need to go 30 hours to Carlisle if he can drive a couple to Vegas.

The cars are more plentiful here so when one is found and Derbied it is said we don't respect them. Obviously that's not the case. If an old car is found there it is looked at as valued because parts aren't plentiful so most know there is some value to it, besides, how many derbies do they really have there?
Sure they like them there, no more than the European car lovers here.

Obviously, I don't like the cars going overseas, I've hated it since I was a kid and they were going over to Japan in record numbers.
I do however try to give the guys that do have them there the same respect or MORE because of their passion. Most times they know more about them than I do. :soapbox: :BangHead: :usflag::usflag::usflag:

I think most of the sellers who don't want foreign buyers do so because of the additional "hassle" (language barrier), risk of scams, and sometimes cost. I don't think it's because they are concerned where they end up.

For example I just sold a '68 300 to a guy in Australia. Somewhere along the way "the wire company" pulled $100 out of the transaction. The buyer showed me his bank draft for the full amount. My bank swears it wasn't on their end. No one can account for it. What am I going to do, dedicate a day to finding the answer, then a few more trying to recover?

In all I'm not turned off because it still sold for a premium compared to a US buyer, but not everyone will see it that way.

Seems to me that a car picked up in the US and then shipped halfway around the world has a new owner with enough knowledge and bux to treat it very well. The same car picked up by a local may not fair as well. Complete restorations are freaking expensive and guys on limited budgets must cut corners. No matter that they might be bodywork experts, expert mechanics, etc., it's all the misc parts that can bankrupt you.

As to why many US sellers won't sell and/or ship internationally, I suspect most of the problem is a desire to avoid all the paperwork required move goods over the border. Being a Canadian this attitude really got my goat. All they have do is put it in a box and send it US Post to Canada, but nope either fear or stupidity seems to rule their lives. If you want to buy cars and/or parts to ship overseas, get a drop ship address in seaport and load everything in a container. When she's full, call a broker and have it shipped. If a few guys combine their purchases, the process is pretty efficient and not too expensive.

It doesn't make any difference to me where the cars are loved, trashed, restored or left to rot. Passion and ignorance is worldwide. The end result is still the same. Shipping goes both ways. Cars can come back to the US.

If someone has the same passions as me and the means to be able to follow through it shouldn't matter where you are.

This topic does seem to be debated here 10+ times a year - in several different threads -- and that's perfectly fine.

I am in the camp of willing buyers and sellers being free to make deals they both like. My preference is hopefully the cars get to "live on" ... someplace ... owned by someone .. who will appreciate them/improve/resell them to someone else of like mind..

I know others feel differently ... and that's fine too. Those views are just as valid as any other view.

I would guess our beloved C's, given their features, leaving the US/Canada, are more likely going somewhere and will be left intact/restored.

As has also been discussed here many times, our C's that stay here in US may (not always) wind up with harvested powertrains and/or smashed into scrap metal.

If the ONLY choice facing a given car, at a given time in its life, is to live on outside the country, or suffer some ignominious end here inside the country, I hope they get to leave and live on.

Last edited:
these vintage cars and their owners can live were ever , its the respect and longing for ownership of these vehicles that is a prized value in their lives , these owners dig it , and get the best of all worlds . while you drive it , show it or just covet it in your own collection . these machine are loved for what they are . thus a passion for history come with each era's machine . i just take my grand nice and nephew for a ride in my golden 67 300 rag with the top down , they had the biggest grins and sat there just proud as could be . i would say they dug it . she is sweet !
DSC07320.JPG

Just to put this in perspective, how many C-Bodies (nothing else) are exported yearly?

I'm betting the number isn't all that high.

When I started looking for my 69 Fury I had a line on a VIP in Arkansas that just came on the market. I called and asked about condition and he said too late. It sold the 2nd day to a German fellow who flew in ,paid cash and shipped it out. I called the 3rd day. Another 69 I called about the 2nd day into the ad was sold "sight unseen" and shipped to Europe. 99.9% of the rest advertised were garbage till I found the one I bought.
I would personally rather have them go to a good home anywhere than bought by some parent for 5000 bucks for their darling son as a first car to drive to school all winter in the rust belt cause it is big and safe. Or god forbid a Demo derby car.
Fact is C bodies are a really cheap way to get into some old American Iron.
Buy a C body for 10 thousand + 5000 shipping over the pond is peanuts. [guessing on the pricing but you get the idea] Try that kind of bang for the buck with a more popular model.

Last edited:
Screenshot_2016-10-23-19-35-29-391.jpeg
Fact is C bodies are a really cheap way to get into some American Iron.
Buy a C body for 10 thousand + 5000 shipping over the pond is peanuts. [guessing on the pricing but you get the idea] Try that with a more popular model.
Americans just can't compete. For good or bad.

ya if you think bucks , its a hipo car like the gtx's , rr's , r/t's , sb's , commando's wedge cars go for big bucks some time supid money and the same performance car be had for thousands less in some cases .

Back