Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludo

Reaction score
Contact seller
Who knows what to install?
new or used or both?
prices?
I bought a car In calgary and i want to have ac installed.
It has al other options just no ac
I have no acces to the car so cant look at it and answer questions. It was delivered new without ac.
Its a 1969 model

Thanks, Ludo

Last edited:
If you can do some research, I have a complete system from a 73 Newport.
Where are you located?

I have an under dash system and some used compressors - they are heavy as hell.
Hello, with an underdash unit you mean the ac is not build into the car but is a large unit you mount under the das correct?
does it work?
why is it heavy as hell and is that a problem?

71 Chrysler here
Hi, you mean you have a complete system from a 71 model?
is that the same as a 1969?
do the controls also need to be changed and does that fit the 1969 dashboard?
I have owned a 1969 c body before but all i do is drive it, i have no information or knowledge about what changed during the years, or what is needed to install an ac system in the 1969 model
it should also be compatible with R-134a fluids

Ludo

If you can do some research, I have a complete system from a 73 Newport.
Where are you located?
Hi, i am located in Europe, but the car is in Calgary canada now, it will stay in canada or the us.
I am just using it there
I have no acces to the car until the day in pick it up in may
it is in storage now

Hello, with an underdash unit you mean the ac is not build into the car but is a large unit you mount under the das correct?
does it work?
why is it heavy as hell and is that a problem?

Yes it was a dealer add on A/C. Hangs under the dash. I meant the factory style compressors are heavy as hell. You may want to go with a newer sanderson one.

actually vintage air sells kits like this with new under dash units - picture below. The old one from I have looks similar to below and was in our old Newport if I recall.

vintage-air-mark-iv-underdash-system-installed.jpg

The compresser that TallHair is referring to bolts to the engine. They are VERY heavy, and hence are expensive to ship. There are new compressers by a company called SANDEN, (not Sanderson) that are smaller and easier to deal with.

As well there is a company called VINTAGE AIR that sells complete kits with the Sanden compresser, all the brackets required to bolt it to the engine, the condensor that goes near the radiator, the Mark IV interior unit pictured above that bolts under the dash, plus all ducting, wiring, controls, etc. ALL NEW. This is a much simpler and less invasive installation, and leaves your existing dashboard untouched. Installing factory AC in addition to the engine compartment stuff, needs a different dashboard and heater/AC unit behind it, and is a very complex task.

Unless you know what you're doing or you have someone who you trust to do the work for you who is intimately familiar with the year make and model of your car, retrofitting original factory AC into the car is really difficult and more work that I expect you want to deal with or pay for. I suggest you explore the Vintage Air kits. They are much easier to deal with by a mechanic, and doesn't require the intimate model specific knowlege, and doesn't require things like removing dashboards and front windscreens etc (something required to put factory in-dash AC into your car).

Here's a Google Search just for Vintage Air. You can see a lot of vendors sell Vintage Air products, and they get decent reviews.

vintageair - Google Search

Here's a link directly to Vintage Air - they have a huge catalogue of parts to put in-dash AC in to cars that don't have it, or to improve cars with existing indash systems that need repair or improvement:

Vintage Air - Inventors of Performance Air Conditioning - www.vintageair.com

As well, and this is what others and myself were referring to, Vintage Air makes UNDER DASH SYSTEMS which I think you'd be much more satisfied with. Here's a link to Vintage Air's page on their Mark IV and other underdash systems. Vintage Aiir makes the new and improved version of the old Mark IV unit, and can taylor a complete system for your car with all new parts from front to back. One stop shopping with detailed installation instructions and telephone assistance too.

http://www.vintageair.com/2016 Catalog/2016 Vintage Air Catalog 50.pdf

Good luck.

The compresser that TallHair is referring to bolts to the engine. They are VERY heavy, and hence are expensive to ship. There are new compressers by a company called SANDEN, (not Sanderson) that are smaller and easier to deal with.

As well there is a company called VINTAGE AIR that sells complete kits with the Sanden compresser, all the brackets required to bolt it to the engine, the condensor that goes near the radiator, the Mark IV interior unit pictured above that bolts under the dash, plus all ducting, wiring, controls, etc. ALL NEW. This is a much simpler and less invasive installation, and leaves your existing dashboard untouched. Installing factory AC in addition to the engine compartment stuff, needs a different dashboard and heater/AC unit behind it, and is a very complex task.

Unless you know what you're doing or you have someone who you trust to do the work for you who is intimately familiar with the year make and model of your car, retrofitting original factory AC into the car is really difficult and more work that I expect you want to deal with or pay for. I suggest you explore the Vintage Air kits. They are much easier to deal with by a mechanic, and doesn't require the intimate model specific knowlege, and doesn't require things like removing dashboards and front windscreens etc (something required to put factory in-dash AC into your car).

Here's a Google Search just for Vintage Air. You can see a lot of vendors sell Vintage Air products, and they get decent reviews.

vintageair - Google Search

Here's a link directly to Vintage Air - they have a huge catalogue of parts to put in-dash AC in to cars that don't have it, or to improve cars with existing indash systems that need repair or improvement:

Vintage Air - Inventors of Performance Air Conditioning - www.vintageair.com

As well, and this is what others and myself were referring to, Vintage Air makes UNDER DASH SYSTEMS which I think you'd be much more satisfied with. Here's a link to Vintage Air's page on their Mark IV and other underdash systems. Vintage Aiir makes the new and improved version of the old Mark IV unit, and can taylor a complete system for your car with all new parts from front to back. One stop shopping with detailed installation instructions and telephone assistance too.

http://www.vintageair.com/2016 Catalog/2016 Vintage Air Catalog 50.pdf

Good luck.
Thank you, this helps a lot
I will check the links and read all

Ludo

IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0686.PNG
Can you use all the old engine bay ac components with an under dashboard
Unit ?
The problem is also my old his new New Yorker is a console car can we maybe use a slimline unit ?
I don't drill or cut any holes in the dashboard that won't be happening!
If some one has advise please let me konw.
Thanks
Tobias

Yes, you can use the old engine bay components with an underdash unit, but it's not really recommended... again, you will need someone who is able to assess the condition of the used parts, (or buy new condensor and rebuilt compressor), and new expansion valves etc. Better to buy new for reliability and a balanced system. That's again where the expertise of a company like Vintage Air is worth it.

It is challenging to use an underdash unit with the console, but it can be done. The Mark IV is small enough to fit over by the passenger side, but likely the air can't blow directly onto the driver. I like the cold air on my face, but some people don't. Having the unit over the passenger footwell makes it into a shin-banger...

I don't know of a slimline unit that can fit between the console top and the bottom of the dash because of the fan units at the back of the under dash box.

I believe (but I'm not certain), that Vintage Air makes underdash units that can use an optional side vent extension that can route a vent over to the driver's side of the car.

Thanks Ross I will look into that, I was planning to use a new compressor and condenser. I never use ac like to roll my windows down and cruise the bottom vents work pretty good in my opinion even in plus 32 Celsius.

actually vintage air sells kits like this with new under dash units - picture below.

yes that's the same vintage air I was referring to when I said Vintage Air makes new systems and posted a picture of one of their units

I believe (but I'm not certain), that Vintage Air makes underdash units that can use an optional side vent extension that can route a vent over to the driver's side of the car.

and yes they make slim line units with vents spread out

Hi, you mean you have a complete system from a 71 model?
is that the same as a 1969?
do the controls also need to be changed and does that fit the 1969 dashboard?
I have owned a 1969 c body before but all i do is drive it, i have no information or knowledge about what changed during the years, or what is needed to install an ac system in the 1969 model
it should also be compatible with R-134a fluids

Ludo
I'm not sure if the dash parts interchanges.

I can get you some pics if you like. I can ship to Canada too. I need to inventory & make sure I have all the parts.

Hello ludo. I have a 1969 2 door New Yorker with air that I will be parting out this spring and summer. I was going to keep the air but it would be perfect for your project. I'm keeping the drive train and disc breaks and power window motors , harness and switches. I promised the sentinel lighting to another member. The car is just out side of Edmonton Alberta. All the brackets ,controls , wiring ,vents everything is there. I will give you a great deal you just need to remove it or help me remove it. Would you be interested in the whole car after I remove the parts I want ? I would give a fellow cbodyonly memder a deal you can't refuse.

Before I get into all the technical parts involved, let me just say, "Anything can be done with time and money".
For your car being a 1969 some major parts you would need are 1969 only, the dash is the main component as this is a one year only part, (1970 and 71 are different). The best way to go to install the factory system is to get a complete car so you will have all the parts.
Some other things to mention, the firewall carries a different number as when it was stamped ALL the mounting openings were done before being installed in the body. You can make these openings in yours but again having a complete car is the way to go, you will be able to make templates of the openings.
The dashboard on a fusey can be removed without removing the windshield, the upper bolts are a pain to get at, but it can be done.
You will need all the brackets, belts, and pulleys from the donor car, also the water pump housing as an A/C car has a 1/2" heater hose fitting instead of the non A/C 5/8".
You will also have to remove the passenger side fenderwell and possibly the fender to gain access to the firewall to make the modifications.
I would check out Alan's thread on his 1969 Polara C.H.P. restoration as he has some very good pictures on the disassembly and firewall as he was putting the car together, you can get an idea of what you are in for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back