WANTED complete AC for 1969 new yorker 2 door coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I get into all the technical parts involved, let me just say, "Anything can be done with time and money".
For your car being a 1969 some major parts you would need are 1969 only, the dash is the main component as this is a one year only part, (1970 and 71 are different). The best way to go to install the factory system is to get a complete car so you will have all the parts.
Some other things to mention, the firewall carries a different number as when it was stamped ALL the mounting openings were done before being installed in the body. You can make these openings in yours but again having a complete car is the way to go, you will be able to make templates of the openings.
The dashboard on a fusey can be removed without removing the windshield, the upper bolts are a pain to get at, but it can be done.
You will need all the brackets, belts, and pulleys from the donor car, also the water pump housing as an A/C car has a 1/2" heater hose fitting instead of the non A/C 5/8".
You will also have to remove the passenger side fenderwell and possibly the fender to gain access to the firewall to make the modifications.
I would check out Alan's thread on his 1969 Polara C.H.P. restoration as he has some very good pictures on the disassembly and firewall as he was putting the car together, you can get an idea of what you are in for.

is it possible to send a link to the page from Alan? can not find it

I agree wholeheartedly with Alan about converting a car to factory AC as opposed to adding aftermarket AC. I would only convert to factory AC if I was doing a complete restoration.

Hello All, thanks for al the information that helpt a lot.
I also checked out the store about the restauration of the police car, damn Alan, that counts as therapie i think.
but it sure looks great, hope you drive it and love it.

I decided to take a different route and install the ac in the trunk and have it blow forward from the package tray.
It's to much work to install an original system, and i am just a tourist driving it on some road trips in Canada and the US ( or maybe some more ) so i am running hoses under the car next to the rear heater hoses.

I do have another question, the car has a rear heater, it now has one speaker in the back, i want to mount 2 speakers
i am thinking of disconnecting the air hose to the package tray and mounting the speaker there.
anybody done that before? is the hole the same size as the speaker side?

so the heater stays but the hose will be removed for now ( stays with the car, don't kill me )

i am going to install one new duo speaker in the dash that can play stereo, in the back i want 2 speakers, and then connect a "out of sight audio" unit, 4x 75 watts Bluetooth unit. so i can play music from my phone, the system is totally invisible and the original radio still works if the Bluetooth is turned off.
anybody done this before?
heater.png

Ludo

Very interesting idea.

dual rear speakers were an option but were mutually exclusive with the defogger option as second speaker occupied the same space. So that part of your plan should be fine.

Where / how are you going to route the cold air?

I decided to take a different route and install the ac in the trunk and have it blow forward from the package tray.
It's to much work to install an original system, and i am just a tourist driving it on some road trips in Canada and the US ( or maybe some more ) so i am running hoses under the car next to the rear heater hoses.

facepalm_by_rolzor.gif

HillbillyAir.jpg

Very interesting idea.

dual rear speakers were an option but were mutually exclusive with the defogger option as second speaker occupied the same space. So that part of your plan should be fine.

Where / how are you going to route the cold air?

ac.png

It's an aftermarket ac system from Old Air Products.
It's connected to the package tray like on the drawing
it doesnt even intrude in the normal trunk space, you can stil park a smart in the trunk and do donuts in it.

ac.png
ac.png

Thought so.......

Every body thinks they have hot climates and extreme conditions. Even in the hottest of hot I'd rather have the windows down on a moving car. ....
Stuck in traffic in the city? Probably not

Not sure what that means.... 105 with 90% humidity many people would dispute your assessment of Jersey only needing heat.

But yeah, I'm fine with heat only

In new jersey usa yo

i checked, in new jersey you only need heaters and good clothing.
The island jersey stil fits inside the trunk together with the ac and the smart
Hey Ludo, are you referring to the island of Jersey in the English Channel? The state of New Jersey in the U.S.A. is a way different place. And yes it can get VERY hot there in the summer.

Not sure what that means.... 105 with 90% humidity many people would dispute your assessment of Jersey only needing heat.

Just kidding, never been to that side of the states but its on my bucket list. I was hoping for a nice car for sale from that area so ii could do a roadtrip there. But its calgary now. Hopefully make it up there in about 2 years

Ludo
Hey Ludo, are you referring to the island of Jersey in the English Channel? The state of New Jersey in the U.S.A. is a way different place. And yes it can get VERY hot there in the summer.
High, i was refering to both, i checked online what the climate was in Jersey. The island Jersey fits inside the trunk of the c body

Hey Ludo,

I suggest you don't use the trunk unit for your AC, but go for the Mark IV or a slimline underdash unit. You will be much more satisfied, believe me.

Hey Ludo,

I suggest you don't use the trunk unit for your AC, but go for the Mark IV or a slimline underdash unit. You will be much more satisfied, believe me.

Hi, it's a bucket console car, the available space between the dash and the console is very small. what brand is the "markIV" ? and what brand slimline?

Ludo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back