Convertible top well liner and quarter sail questions

65furyrewind

Reaction score
My 65 Sport Fury convertible came no top or well liner installed. Because of this, I’m not certain of the attach points for the liner. (For example, does the back go under the same retainers as the rear curtain or is it glued somewhere inside the well?). Pictures of an install would be very helpful.
Also I’m pretty certain after reading other posts that the sail panels (rear quarters) go under the retainers that are under the chrome trim all the way forward and do not have the forward few inches dropping down into the well. A confirmation would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

My 65 Sport Fury convertible came no top or well liner installed. Because of this, I’m not certain of the attach points for the liner. (For example, does the back go under the same retainers as the rear curtain or is it glued somewhere inside the well?). Pictures of an install would be very helpful.
Also I’m pretty certain after reading other posts that the sail panels (rear quarters) go under the retainers that are under the chrome trim all the way forward and do not have the forward few inches dropping down into the well. A confirmation would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.
The FSM for the '65 Plymouth does have a procedure, not great pics, but it's a start. Page23-83

And if you don't have an Factory Service Manual, download one here: Service Manuals – MyMopar

The FSM for the '65 Plymouth does have a procedure, not great pics, but it's a start. Page23-83

And if you don't have an Factory Service Manual, download one here: Service Manuals – MyMopar
Thank you. I do have the factory service manual and a set of parts books. They were certainly helpful, but part of my challenge may be missing pieces. Figure 181 in the service manual refers to a drain pocket flap and a retainer. I don’t have either and I’m not certain if replacement installs use them and if so how.

I did my top a couple of years ago. There may be some pics in this thread that will help?

Most of the well liner is attached the same way as the top itself. On top of the sheet metal is the well liner, the top (both the main top and the rear curtain in the corners) the metal retainers that are held down with regular round head screws and then finally the chrome trim with the snap head screws.

The front few inches of the top does have to go down into the car and is attached with z shaped retainers that are screwed to the inside of the body. If the top stayed under the trim on the outside all the way to the quarter window it would tear when the frame folds backwards.

I did my top a couple of years ago. There may be some pics in this thread that will help?

Most of the well liner is attached the same way as the top itself. On top of the sheet metal is the well liner, the top (both the main top and the rear curtain in the corners) the metal retainers that are held down with regular round head screws and then finally the chrome trim with the snap head screws.

The front few inches of the top does have to go down into the car and is attached with z shaped retainers that are screwed to the inside of the body. If the top stayed under the trim on the outside all the way to the quarter window it would tear when the frame folds backwards.
Thank you. With the help of my Plymouth service manual, the Convertible Top Guys 30 page manual and some online videos I’ve got most of the install pretty well sorted out in my head. These questions were to address the last pieces of the puzzle. If you’ve had a chance to read my introduction as a new member you’ll recall I got this car with a nice paint job and a pile of unmarked parts. With luck there may be a Z retainers in the pile. (Or not, it’s been a little hit and miss)

IMG_20220822_200553367.jpg

This is the Z retainer on the driver's side, so the raised portion is towards the front of the car. I believe there are just the 3 visible screw holes and the forward end just floats there, but will try to double check that this weekend.

View attachment 651487

This is the Z retainer on the driver's side, so the raised portion is towards the front of the car. I believe there are just the 3 visible screw holes and the forward end just floats there, but will try to double check that this weekend.
That’s a great help and looks simple enough to make. I guess the reason the top doesn’t tear when installed this way is there’s a straight pull and not pulling it against an edge. Thank you!!

Back