Detroit Gearhead Gals' 1962 300 Sport

amazinblue82

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
00-1-0.jpg
00-1-2.jpg

Autorama starting here in a few days. Cool local story in the Detroit Free Press.

Source: Detroit 2017 Autorama Feature Story - 1962 Chrysler 300 Sport

EXCERPT

Just days before giving birth, Anne Armstrong was still racing her '62 Chrysler 300 Sport.

"She was out to here," Armstrong's daughter, Denielle Armstrong, said earlier this week, standing in her Waterford garage next to the car. She held her arms out in front of her. She had heard her mom tell her — and her siblings — that story more times than she could count. "She could barely fit in the door. I was almost born in this car!"

The Beautiful Brute is what her mom called the car. And she loved it — almost as much as she loved her husband, Jack, whom she also sometimes called her Beautiful Brute.

Now, 54, years later, Denielle — Deni, to her friends — misses her mother and father, who died. But, she still has the car.

Armstrong is among a growing number of women who own and love cars and are exhibiting their hot rods at the Autorama in Detroit, a show long dominated by men, this weekend.

"I like hanging out with the boys," Armstrong said of her hobby. "Cars are fun."

A Detroit story
In many ways, Armstrong said, Autorama is more than just a car show. In fact, it is more than just about cars. For her, and others who grew up going to the show, it's part of her history and her memories of her parents.

Their story goes like this:

Her mom, Anne, was a housewife who married at 18 and had four children. Her dad, Jack, who was two years older, was a mechanic. Not long after they were married, they bought the Beautiful Brute together. Her dad picked the engine, a 413. Her mom picked the color, Bermuda turquoise. Her mom also gave the car its nickname.

"My mom, she fell in love with it," Armstrong said.

But, her mom wasn't satisfied to just look on while her dad tinkered with the car. She wanted to learn to do what he was doing — and did.

"She wouldn't bake cookies," Armstrong recalled. "She would be in the garage, under her car."

And then, one day, her dad asked her mom: "Why don't you drive the the car?" Her mom said she didn't know how.

So her dad told her: "You get in, point, and go as fast as you can!" That's how she started racing.

00-1-1.jpg

00-1-3-1.jpg
00-2-1-1.jpg
00-1-3.jpg

00-2-0.jpg

00-1-4.jpg
00-1-5.jpg
00-2-1.jpg

Denielle is a friend and they don't come too much sweeter then her. I was also very lucky to have met her mom before she passed and got a good firsthand story of that cars history from both of them. First class all the way!

I presume it's a 3 speed, yes? What are those exhaust manifolds? They don't look like any that I've seen for a wedge, though I admit I know little about these early full size cars. The old photo of the car with lettering says "It's a Hemi" on the fender, did they run hemi power at some point?
Travis..

I do remember the part about Chrysler giving them a Hemi to run in it and yes, those are original cast iron headers and she still has the original long ram intakes. Denielle helped her mom restore the car in the relatively recent past.

I also talked to the owner at the Packard proving grounds show a few years back. Nice lady, good story.

What a great story & wonderful tribute to her mom & dad. Not to mention a great looking car. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

What a great story and history, Denielle! I can't imagine how proud you must be of your "Beautiful Brute". I kinda know that feeling, this is the 7th one I've owned since I was 16yrs
IMG_4173.JPG
old. It hasn't been on the road for 25yrs. It's slowly being brought back to life and I'm chewing at the bit.

IMG_0322.JPG

The car was born a 413 3 speed manual currently 440 4 speed. Her parents ordered the car new. Denielle and I are best of friends, I'll let her now about this topic. Maybe she'll sign in and post her.

View attachment 116743 View attachment 116745

Autorama starting here in a few days. Cool local story in the Detroit Free Press.

Source: Detroit 2017 Autorama Feature Story - 1962 Chrysler 300 Sport

EXCERPT

Just days before giving birth, Anne Armstrong was still racing her '62 Chrysler 300 Sport.

"She was out to here," Armstrong's daughter, Denielle Armstrong, said earlier this week, standing in her Waterford garage next to the car. She held her arms out in front of her. She had heard her mom tell her — and her siblings — that story more times than she could count. "She could barely fit in the door. I was almost born in this car!"

The Beautiful Brute is what her mom called the car. And she loved it — almost as much as she loved her husband, Jack, whom she also sometimes called her Beautiful Brute.

Now, 54, years later, Denielle — Deni, to her friends — misses her mother and father, who died. But, she still has the car.

Armstrong is among a growing number of women who own and love cars and are exhibiting their hot rods at the Autorama in Detroit, a show long dominated by men, this weekend.

"I like hanging out with the boys," Armstrong said of her hobby. "Cars are fun."

A Detroit story
In many ways, Armstrong said, Autorama is more than just a car show. In fact, it is more than just about cars. For her, and others who grew up going to the show, it's part of her history and her memories of her parents.

Their story goes like this:

Her mom, Anne, was a housewife who married at 18 and had four children. Her dad, Jack, who was two years older, was a mechanic. Not long after they were married, they bought the Beautiful Brute together. Her dad picked the engine, a 413. Her mom picked the color, Bermuda turquoise. Her mom also gave the car its nickname.

"My mom, she fell in love with it," Armstrong said.

But, her mom wasn't satisfied to just look on while her dad tinkered with the car. She wanted to learn to do what he was doing — and did.

"She wouldn't bake cookies," Armstrong recalled. "She would be in the garage, under her car."

And then, one day, her dad asked her mom: "Why don't you drive the the car?" Her mom said she didn't know how.

So her dad told her: "You get in, point, and go as fast as you can!" That's how she started racing.

View attachment 116744
View attachment 116747 View attachment 116752 View attachment 116746
View attachment 116750
View attachment 116748 View attachment 116749 View attachment 116751

I presume it's a 3 speed, yes? What are those exhaust manifolds? They don't look like any that I've seen for a wedge, though I admit I know little about these early full size cars. The old photo of the car with lettering says "It's a Hemi" on the fender, did they run hemi power at some point?
Travis..
The cast-iron manifolds us for the crossram set up.... That is actually in my garage dad passed away before they got to put it on the car so now it has the dual quads read the cast-iron headers... When the drag hemi first came out...my dad wanted to put one in there race car so we had befriended the golden commandos and they called up my dad one night and said Jack we got something you might want to take a look at and their lo and behold was the 426 drag Hemi,and also a aluminum Hemi hood scoop which is still on the car today it's actually at 4:40 that's bored .030 over

Back