Expansion Valve Help Needed

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I ordered an expansion valve from the local parts store.
This is what I ordered.
upload_2017-6-26_17-3-6.jpeg

The problem is this is what I received today.
IMG_6802.JPG

Neither one of these are the factory one because I'm changing over to a Sanden Compressor and new lines. So, does it matter which one I use. The first one pictures is a Four Seasons 38616. The second one came in the box that was marked for the 38616. I picked the 38616 because it's specs were the closest to the factory.

What do I do??? :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: I want this thing put together so I can take the kids and come to Carlisle.

Aside from it being slightly shorter, the only difference I see is the type of bulb for the temperature sensing tube.

I don't see as that would make a difference.

Aside from it being slightly shorter, the only difference I see is the type of bulb for the temperature sensing tube.

I don't see as that would make a difference.
I appreciate the quick response. Unfortunately when I compared it to the one I took off the ends are not the right type of fitting and the one end is the wrong size. Must have been packed on a Monday or a Friday.

It isn't feeling good for Carlisle right now.

If your making new lines the fitting size shouldn't be a problem, but is the end that attaches to the evap correct?

If your making new lines the fitting size shouldn't be a problem, but is the end that attaches to the evap correct?
The end for the evaporator was wrong and the they weren't o-ring fittings. They looked like more of a JIC fitting. I've got two on order right now so hopefully one of them will be right.

Last edited:
Strike 2...

The second expansion valve came in through the local parts store again. Doesn't look anything like the picture he pulled up and the fittings aren't the correct type. Well, I've got one ordered from Rock Auto that is due in on Friday. I'll say a pray and hope that it is right.

I hope to have crimped hoses in hand tomorrow night.

Suck it up and come anyway.:poke:Most of my cars don't have functioning ac, and I'm sure a lot of others don't either. My '67 Imperial LeBaron for example wasn't even ordered with AC.

Strike 2...

The second expansion valve came in through the local parts store again. Doesn't look anything like the picture he pulled up and the fittings aren't the correct type. Well, I've got one ordered from Rock Auto that is due in on Friday. I'll say a pray and hope that it is right.

I hope to have crimped hoses in hand tomorrow night.
Bring your old and new ones for visual aides. Walk into a parts store that has an old guy at the counter and a rack of books front and center... They can get you fixed up pretty quick I bet. Expecting the number you ordered to work out might be insanity... might just be the insane way the parts industry has been devolving.

Weird. I needed that exact same expansion valve and they got it right the first time around.

Suck it up and come anyway.:poke:Most of my cars don't have functioning ac, and I'm sure a lot of others don't either. My '67 Imperial LeBaron for example wasn't even ordered with AC.

It didn't have AC last year so if I can get it pulled together and an inspection sticker on her I just might put the caps on the compressor and evaporator and the leave the compressor unplugged until I can find an expansion valve.

Bring your old and new ones for visual aides. Walk into a parts store that has an old guy at the counter and a rack of books front and center... They can get you fixed up pretty quick I bet. Expecting the number you ordered to work out might be insanity... might just be the insane way the parts industry has been devolving.

I hadn't gone that far yet, but I was at the better store in the area. Just maybe the one from RA will be right.

It didn't have AC last year so if I can get it pulled together and an inspection sticker on her I just might put the caps on the compressor and evaporator and the leave the compressor unplugged until I can find an expansion valve.

You always have the 4-70 air conditioning!

The factory one was designed with a long thin probe to lay in a slot or tube in the suction side. Any probe that you could clamp or hold against the suction side tube to make feedback on temp coming out of evaporator to regulate pressure differential. I would wrap it with styrofoam pipe wrap and a couple of zip ties to shield heat from probe.

The factory one was designed with a long thin probe to lay in a slot or tube in the suction side. Any probe that you could clamp or hold against the suction side tube to make feedback on temp coming out of evaporator to regulate pressure differential. I would wrap it with styrofoam pipe wrap and a couple of zip ties to shield heat from probe.

Mine is wrapped with Permagum. A length of it came with my Bouchillon kit.

AC0DFFC9-EF6D-427A-A580-D1864930C7A6_zpsefwngxou.jpg

You always have the 4-70 air conditioning!
You bet ya. That's my preference, but not so much the wife's. I just want all this loose stuff bolted together.

I got hoses crimped yesterday. It cost me $20 to have four hoses crimped. I was pleased with that.

The expansion valve from RA is out for delivery right now. When I'm done mowing tonight if I've got some energy left I'll be doing some assembly work. I'll be like a kid at Christmas when I get home wanting to check this valve out.

Hallelujah!!! Third time is the winner. It came a day early from RA. First thing I did was pull it out and look it over. Here's a picture of the winner.
IMG_6803.JPG

Can you head down and mow mine.:lol:

When I saw your post it was almost 6PM, by the time I would've gotten to your place it would've been too late, nearly 2 hours.

I had the energy(maybe more like excitement) when I was done mowing. The only things that need done are to install the suction line (I don't have a big enough wrench) and to affix the capillary tube from the expansion valve to the suction tube.

I've been striking out on the permagum locally, so I'm considering this stuff. What's your thoughts.
Gardner Bender 1 lb. Plug Duct Seal Compound-DS-110 - The Home Depot
upload_2017-6-29_23-0-19.jpeg

Duct Seal came up when I search permagum on Amazon.

From the wide range of application it didn't seem like the permagum was a super fancy thing - even used on washing machines according to listings on ebay.

Back