Front brake hose too short

polarus

Reaction score
I purchased two front brake hose for my Polara, they're about 1" too short. The guy at NAPA says they should be the right ones. Anybody else run into this problem?

Disc brake. Car is a 72 with 73 style disc brake upgrade, I ordered the hose for a 73.

I would call one of the specialty brake line suppliers like Classic Tube or Inline and tell them exactly what you have and how long the line needs to be. They'll match it up from there.

You have a mix of parts and years and buying something off the shelf for a specific application isn't going to be in the cards.

I would call one of the specialty brake line suppliers like Classic Tube or Inline and tell them exactly what you have and how long the line needs to be. They'll match it up from there.

You have a mix of parts and years and buying something off the shelf for a specific application isn't going to be in the cards.[/QUOT

I am working on similar issue if you resolve please post

Thanks

Disc brake. Car is a 72 with 73 style disc brake upgrade, I ordered the hose for a 73.
When I converted me car to '71 Disks, thinking all of my stuff as for a '73, the hoses - '73 - were too short. There are two different sizes for disk brakes.

This is the same problem I ran into when I did my 300. I used 2 SH18 Braided stainless lines from Inline tube. You will also need the adapters to hook up into your lines and caliper, but they work great and have full clearance from all the suspension pieces

This is the same problem I ran into when I did my 300. I used 2 SH18 Braided stainless lines from Inline tube. You will also need the adapters to hook up into your lines and caliper, but they work great and have full clearance from all the suspension pieces
Thanks for the response

Did you get the adapters from the same source?

I didn't like how tight the correct hose was for my 69 so I researched a longer hose and put them on. I couldn't even get the correct ones on the car, checked with an original, correct but not sure how they got them on, one end was almost kinked. The CHP evaluation of the 69's done in 68 also noted the tight hoses.

My point, you may have the correct hoses but they may not fit the way that seam correct.

Alan

I didn't like how tight the correct hose was for my 69 so I researched a longer hose and put them on. I couldn't even get the correct ones on the car, checked with an original, correct but not sure how they got them on, one end was almost kinked. The CHP evaluation of the 69's done in 68 also noted the tight hoses.

My point, you may have the correct hoses but they may not fit the way that seam correct.

Alan
Hi Alan, do you have a part # for the longer hose?

Thanks, I look into that option.

Hi Alan, do you have a part # for the longer hose?
The specified hose for a 1969 with disc brakes is Raybestos BH35017 - 14-7/16"
Just a little longer BH26913 at 15-3/8"
and finally BH13841 at 17-5/16"
The two longer ones do not have the hex where it goes in the frame, there is a hex on the hose side of the clip. They installed just fine on my car, you just need a wrench on the hose to tighten the lines.

Alan

Were there drums in 71 or were they all disc by then?
There were both. Cars didn't go to all disks until the federal mandate of 1975. (Maybe '74, but I know my folks '73 Maverick had drums.)

In my case I thought I had gotten parts from a '73 C body, so I ordered the rotors, calipers, pads, hoses, and caps new. When I learned that they were '71s I had to re-purchase everything. I mean everything! Nothing for a '73 would fit or work on that '71 set-up. It turned a weekend job into a month nightmare as I had to wait for parts to arrive.

Thanks for the response

Did you get the adapters from the same source?
Yes I got EVERYTHING I needed to do the job from Inline tube. When you call to order get the Technical department, they can order you everything then and will walk you thru what you need. They are a great place to work with.

I remove the hose from my 72 parts car, the hose measured 14-3/4" the new one's are 14" even. I'll see what NAPA has in stock.

Back