Getting a title in NC

BigblueC

Reaction score
Guys I have a car that I need to title, but there are complication with the title. Back story; I bought the car 15 years ago with an open title, and I have the original title. Now here is where things get "fun". The guy that I bought the car from bought it from the 2nd owner in 72', then stuffed it in a barn never changing the title. Fast forward, I buy the car and the guy who's name is on the title dies pretty much that same week or month. His family proceeds to fight over every thing with his name associated because he had a mistress, and he left every thing to her.

Now I have the car completely disassembled and have done a lot of work to it. I need to get it titled if for nothing else for peace of mind. Have any of you titled a car in North Carolina with a similar situation? It has been suggested to me that I "loose" the original title until I run into a wall.

The way I see it you have a signed title from the person who died, the fact that there was an intermediate person doesn't change that fact.

Alan

This is why I take care of title issues right away.

Yeah I would now, but I was 14 when I bought this car and well, I just had no clue at that point, thus my current problems.

The way I see it you have a signed title from the person who died

I wish it was that simple, but according to everyone else it's still legally (with the original title present, which is in my possession) is's the dead guy's car, or his heirs.

Friends tell me that I have to put the car back together (looking like a functioning car) and get a bonded title, claiming that I bought it as a parts car?

Do you have a past registration in the same name as what's on the title....?

No.

I still say get the car in your name now and act like you know nothing of this issue, follow the normal procedures.

Unless it is required to have a bonded title in your state I wouldn't bother.

Alan

Here is what it looks like now minus 7 years of dust...
Put away.JPG

Who ever knows what it is first gets two thumbs up!

Do you have a notarized bill of sale that says you bought it from him? If you do, you have a lot more going for you. If not...who knows? Get a lawyer. Period. You're asking a bunch of people that don't know NC law concerning that. I assume you've called your DMV or equivalent already? Approach them with a hypothetical situation (no names) and see what they say, to start, if you haven't already.

Friends tell me that I have to put the car back together (looking like a functioning car) and get a bonded title, claiming that I bought it as a parts car?

Correct. Save all your recipes & labor time. Document everything. Just in case the family tries to get the car back. Which I doubt they will. But just in case. The nice DMV officer will come by to see you LOL. I spent 2 hours with officer Cooper just last month trying to get titles on some of these parts cars to help fend off the comming sub division.

The term is different in various states, but it basically boils down to giving you legal possession of the car.

Bond title
A bonded title (also known as a lost title bond) is a certificate verifying a person’s ownership of a motor vehicle. A bonded title serves as proof of ownership that allows the owner to proceed with transactions like: Buying insurance. Registering the vehicle. Selling the vehicle.
4 Reasons You Might Need A Bonded Title
blog.suretysolutionsllc.com/suretynews/4-reasons-you-might-need-a-bonded-title

What exactly is a bonded title?
You buy it from your auto Ins agent. About $100 bucks. Bond is for 2 years. Someone comes up with a title they have to pay you back before they can get the car. SAVE RECIEPTS In two years the bond expires & car is yours no matter who steps forward.

I assume you've called your DMV or equivalent already?

Talking to friends who have done parts cars and rat rods this is how I came up with the knowledge that I have to put it back together just to attempt to get a title.

Like Patrick said I would talk with the DMV, see what steps you need to take to fix this problem.

Correct. Save all your recipes & labor time. Document everything. Just in case the family tries to get the car back. Which I doubt they will. But just in case. The nice DMV officer will come by to see you LOL. I spent 2 hours with officer Cooper just last month trying to get titles on some of these parts cars to help fend off the comming sub division.

You buy it from your auto Ins agent. About $100 bucks. Bond is for 2 years. Someone comes up with a title they have to pay you back before they can get the car. SAVE RECIEPTS In two years the bond expires & car is yours no matter who steps forward.

Bob, I'm almost certain that the family would try to come for the car if they found out that they had a half *** chance of getting it (big, drawn out fight over property that lasted for years, which is why I haven't yet pursued a title).

Right now I have few receipts from years ago, but they are from a friend who runs a professional restoration shop so I'm certain that I could come up with new/more receipts if needed.

I would probably take the title you have in hand and have an attorney explore your options. If the person who signed off on the title was legally able to do so, you should be entitled to ownership of the vehicle. If they were not the legal representative of the deceased, you have a real can of worms. I would check the DMV to see if the vehicle title is contested or if it has any liens against it.

You might also be able to get a "Sheriffs Title". There are several ways to do this. One way is if you have a friend at a local towing company, you can have them fill out an abandoned vehicle report. The paperwork is then sent to the DMV. They will attempt to contact the previous owner of record. If no one responds within the legally specified time, a new title will be issued to the tow company. The down side to this approach is that it will usually be a "Salvage Title" which can diminish the value
of the vehicle. The vehicle could also wind up at a Sheriff's sale to settle any claims against it.
You can also have an attorney file the same paperwork, but this is not always a cheap process especially if someone tries to claim the vehicle as part of the estate. You might wind up having to buy the vehicle a second time to settle the claim of the estate.
A third option might be to apply for an "Assembled Title" which is used for vehicles which are custom made, mostly from parts of different years. Do not recommend going that route as it might be really difficult to insure.

Dave

Bob, I'm almost certain that the family would try to come for the car if they found out that they had a half *** chance of getting it (big, drawn out fight over property that lasted for years, which is why I haven't yet pursued a title).

Right now I have few receipts from years ago, but they are from a friend who runs a professional restoration shop so I'm certain that I could come up with new/more receipts if needed.
You have the car, a title & keys. Lay low till this passes. Especially if the old guy signed it. Do you know a notary that will notorized it.

Just go try to transfer the title. That's the first step. Hear the word NO. Make a copy of it, with sides before you try, for your records. Are your friends are telling you to get a new state issued vin?

Back