Guilty Pleasures

Only one visit per year is all I am allowed ... :). I don't know if this chain is in every state. Good food .. not just sumptuous desserts.

00-2-2.jpg
00-3.jpg

used to like quick, but it was hard for a little kid to get the metal lid off the can :)
i liked strawberry yoohoo also, but haven't seen it in years.

This may just be a Western NY thing (or other limited geographic area)? This is a "beef on weck" sandwich.

A few more words to explain: Thin-sliced, rare roast beef, topped with horseradish, on a salted kummelweck roll (the top bun getting a dip "au jus") and with your favorite libation. :)

00-3-1.jpg

Are those caraway buns? Looks awesome.

its topped with kosher salt and yes, caraway seeds. I think a "kummelweck" bun is a particular kinda bread (I am outta my depth here) somehow different than a "caraway" bun? whatever it is .. its really really good.

UPDATE .. YES, it is a "caraway" bun.

A caraway bun is a bread product which has herbs on top of it baked on. It is named Weck as well in southern Germany. "Kümmel" is German for "Caraway"

BUT lotta carbs and lotta salt, then you tack on fries or chips and a couple non-lite German brews (to handle the horseradish and thirst from the salt) .. i feel guilty but happy :)

Last edited:
This may just be a Western NY thing (or other limited geographic area)? This is a "beef on weck" sandwich.

A few more words to explain: Thin-sliced, rare roast beef, topped with horseradish, on a salted kummelweck roll (the top bun getting a dip "au jus") and with your favorite libation. :)View attachment 108538

Buffalo is my home town and "Beef on weck" is a Buffalo staple! Next to the wings. You can find corner bars all over that make both of them great. In fact I'm going there for Christmas on friday. Might just get me one or three! The rolls are actually called "Kimmelweck" I'm not really sure what the difference is between the "i" and the "u" makes. Nice to hear that somebody else either lived there or enjoys a Buffalo classic like that! Thanks!
Another is the pizza joints in Buffalo. Almost one on every block! Every one has a distint recipe and flavor. My all-time favorite is Imperial on Abbott road. I usually take home 2 or 3 and freeze them to enjoy over a couple months. Pizza Hut or any of the other chains don't stand a chance in Buffalo.

Buffalo is my home town and "Beef on weck" is a Buffalo staple! Next to the wings. You can find corner bars all over that make both of them great. In fact I'm going there for Christmas on friday. Might just get me one or three! The rolls are actually called "Kimmelweck" I'm not really sure what the difference is between the "i" and the "u" makes. Nice to hear that somebody else either lived there or enjoys a Buffalo classic like that! Thanks!
Another is the pizza joints in Buffalo. Almost one on every block! Every one has a distint recipe and flavor. My all-time favorite is Imperial on Abbott road. I usually take home 2 or 3 and freeze them to enjoy over a couple months. Pizza Hut or any of the other chains don't stand a chance in Buffalo.

Spoken like a Buffalo native son .. and exactly right on all points. I kinda forgot about the pizza .. great as well! :).

I was just there on a job rotation for several years several years ago. WNY is a great place. I was taught the "u" vs the "i" for the bun .. but heard it both ways from the local people.

We took visiting business people to the Anchor Bar a lot .. because they had heard of it from around the world .. all they ever wanted was Wings or Beef on Weck from THAT place. Local Buffalo people and savvy visitors all have THEIR favorite places as you said as there a many locations serving both.

Trivia -- Buffalo Wild Wings was started by some folks with WNY ties, and when they started franchising it was called "Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck". As they branched out, the "Weck" name went away (and from the menu except in the WNY locations).

00-1.jpg

source: Buffalo Wild Wings Company History

The sound I "imagined" when I used a clothspin and a playing card in the spokes of my bike .. trying to duplicate Dad's '65 Ponch and my uncle's '68 GTX.

It wasn't the same of course .. but not in my 10 yr old mind .. :). I still use 'em on a couple of cars to this day (watch the vid when you can play it loud).

00-1.jpg

Last edited:
Still on one of my cop cars ('68 Fury) ... again, reminds me of my Dad/adult male relatives usin' em in the 60's :)

00-1.jpg

Last edited:
Still around .. but tastes different than I remember, or its just my advancing age messin' with my taste buds ..

00-3.jpg

Cherry bombs sounded sweet on my first car. Even though that 68 Charger was just a 318.

still around today ... I buy a pack on occasion (when my Millennial kids - 30 and 28 yrs old - are in town. We fight over the "reds" :)).

00-1.jpg

the characters are speaking non-sense words .. I was "corrected" (not like in the "Shining" :) ) for using those words - which I knew were wrong but it was fun sayin' them.

Last edited:
Back