Honey Gold Confusion

SeaFuse

Reaction score
This 73 Imperial has the option code for Honey Gold on the fender tag. But to me it looks tan. Is it Honey Gold or some other color? Also looks very different than paint chips in 73 Imperial brochure and paint supplier chip books. Searching the paint code online, I found a couple posts where people with original cars looking more tan or yellow with this code and are similarly confused. I'm handicapped as I'm am severely color blind. Thanks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

l was gona say it looks close to 70 fury sierra metallic tan.
did find this while having a boo about....looks close to color on car and is 73
1280px-Canmania_Car_show_-_Wimborne_%289592352584%29.jpg

Take a look at my "Garage" page. The 1973 Plymouth is Honey Gold. My dad bought it new and it still retains about 80% of its original paint. You car's color looks a little lighter to me.

Thanks guys. Fender tag below. I believe the paint code is for Honey Gold but looks like Sunfire Yellow. Very sure it is not a respray.

image.jpeg

I have the 1973 Color & Trim selector, and Y3 is for honey gold, but I have to agree, the color on this car doesn't look like honey gold or sunfire yellow when I look at the actual paint samples in the selector.

Seems the thoughts on the internet is the chips in the factory brochures & paint chips books are in error. In the 60's there was a Y3 that was yellow / beige. Note below is I think the truth to the matter.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
This 73 Imperial has the option code for Honey Gold on the fender tag. But to me it looks tan. Is it Honey Gold or some other color? Also looks very different than paint chips in 73 Imperial brochure and paint supplier chip books. Searching the paint code online, I found a couple posts where people with original cars looking more tan or yellow with this code and are similarly confused. I'm handicapped as I'm am severely color blind. Thanks.

View attachment 114939
View attachment 114938

What is the proper paint code for the colour you're asking about?

SeaFuse, may I ask why you are asking?

If you want to know how Honey Gold exactly looks try to find a og paint car. Anything else just leads you in the wrong direction. You can't take photos as a sample. Even the same photo can look totally dfifferent on different screens, let alone different cars in different light.

If you want to paint your car Honeys Gold, try to find a og paint car, bring it to your painter and let him mix it up with the og paint car as a sample.

Forget everything else.

SeaFuse, may I ask why you are asking?
Yes you may ask. So I will repeat myself more clearly this time. I've seen on cars and on chips a claimed honey gold that was totally different than what I understood honey gold to be. And by different I mean a darker gold metallic versus a butterscotchish solid. That is all. No nonsense about trying to color match off pics on the web to mix up paint for my car. My understanding is clearer now.

Back