Just in time for snowbord migration north

67Monaco

Go Woke, Go Broke.
Reaction score
They needed to start this about August. Good god are the snowbirds slow. If you're one, thanks for visiting, but April can't come fast enough. God forbid it rains or something. And I want to know what part of the country do people make right turns from the left lane? Y'all should be shot.

Florida troopers ticketing slow drivers in fast lane on I-75 | WINK NEWS

NAPLES, Fla.- Florida Highway Patrol troopers are cracking down on drivers traveling
too slowly in the left lane on Interstate 75.

“Driving on the interstate, a lot of people are just ignorant,” said driver, Joseph Portner. They won’t move over.”

Troopers say many of the slow drivers are multitasking on their phone, something Maria Strawder says she sees it all the time.

“If they’re looking down, they’re not looking at the road, so they’re looking
at their cellphone,” said Strawder.

Traveling too slowly in the left hand lane is against the law in Florida. Troopers say
it forces other drivers to pass on the right, messing up the natural flow of traffic and causing road rage.

“I try not to flash my lights at people,” said driver John Ballard.

Troopers are now ticketing anyone driving 10 mph or more below the speed limit in the passing lane.

“A ticket is a little excessive,” said Portner. “I think a warning would probably be the
better way to go.”

But other drivers are applauding the move, “I say give them all a ticket,” said Strawder.

“Sooner or later, I want you to get the hell out of the way,” said Ballard. “I’ve got
places to go.”

The tickets can cost drivers about $150 depending on which county they’re stopped in.

I just spent 3 1/2 months in Gulf shores Alabama. It's a haven for snow birds from Minn, Wis, Mich, Ill, Ind, NY and Canada.
They do provide a special challenge for the locals. Kind of bitter sweet. We dibbed them "the quetips".

Troopers are now ticketing anyone driving 10 mph or more below the speed limit in the passing lane.
The speed limit on I-4 is 65.
You know what 56 mph on I-4 would feel like.
Land_Snail_600.jpg

The enforcement of 10 mph or slower is useless when even going 65 feels like you're crawling on that road.

The speed limit on I-4 is 65.
You know what 56 mph on I-4 would feel like.
Land_Snail_600.jpg

The enforcement of 10 mph or slower is useless when even going 65 feels like you're crawling on that road.

I hate I4... AFAIAC it IS the road to hell... and Not paved with "good intentions" either. As I seldom allow I4 to be part of my route these days... I am almost over the trauma of driving it daily.

Unfortunately, depending on the time of day I travel, I do use the toll road network around Otown... what a fustercluck that becomes during "off peak" daylight hours. The effing morons who are too timid and can't merge slow the on ramps to 20mph or even stop (with a dedicated lane)... then they change 4 lanes at WOT... just to exit for a toll booth from the left lane... I hate driving in Orlando. BTW, we don't get a noticeable snowbird season... too many foolish folks who come here in the hot months to see the mouse. The only break in the summer is you don't have to watch them try to figure out if they should pass the yellow busses with the flashing lights. Love when they decide to stop on the opposite side of a divided highway, about 50/50 with the ones who pass stopped ones.:realcrazy:

What I noticed when I was driving in Florida was there was no "flow". No steady speed of the traffic.

Florida.... WTF? People were doing 50 MPH... People were doing 100 MPH... Some were going slow and sitting in the left lane and some were blasting up the right lane at 20-30 MPH over. Some were weaving in and out, almost for sport...

Speeding up and changing lanes to make it hard for someone to merge... I thought that was just my imagination at first...

In most states I've ever driven in, there's a speed that everyone runs. In some states, with a 70MPH limit, traffic runs 72ish, some 75, some closer to 80. In NYS, with a 65 MPH limit, I expect 72 on the Thruway and 69-70 on other interstates, but you can figure out in a few miles what everyone is running and go with it. Not Florida....

I've noticed thing smooth out once you get south of Mickey Mouse & I-4.

I drive to Florida a minimum of 4 times a yr and have noticed a big change in driving habits the last 15 yrs, it seems to be getting worse every yr. A three lane expressway and the car in the fast lane will drive along with the car in the middle lane blocking anyone trying to pass. So other drivers will go to the slow lane and try to get past them, but there are usually trucks in that lane. I have sat in the fast lane for up to five to ten min waiting to get past them. And at times after getting frustrated I wheel over to the slow lane to get past them and they see what I'm trying to do and will speed up just so I cannot get in front of them, sometimes up to 95 mph. And they flip you off when getting in frt of them. I have considered cutting a hole in the floor of the car and dropping a handful of rocks and watching it just pepper the frt of their car but don't want to endanger anybody else by doing that.
That lane blocking driving has now morphed into Georgia and a little bit into Tennessee :BangHead:

What I tried
What I attempted to say when I hit the wrong key to the non existent message above waz: Try to drive SR60 between Lake Wales and Yahoo Junction when Floyd and Ethel decide to leave way too early for the Early Bird special and the O.J. Haulers are comin' out of the Grovez and just find ah spot to park and watch the fun when Floyd finally realizes he's about to be eaten by ah clapped out "binder" day cab haullin' double orange hopperz and he'll nail it and gray+rusty smoke will come out from underneath hiz '76 LTD and fog both lanez for half ah mile, Jer...BTDT

I have considered cutting a hole in the floor of the car and dropping a handful of rocks and watching it just pepper the frt of their car but don't want to endanger anybody else by doing that.
That lane blocking driving has now morphed into Georgia and a little bit into Tennessee :BangHead:

Used to carry ball bearings in the pocket of my leathers when I rode for just such a thing.

What I tried

What I attempted to say when I hit the wrong key to the non existent message above waz: Try to drive SR60 between Lake Wales and Yahoo Junction when Floyd and Ethel decide to leave way too early for the Early Bird special and the O.J. Haulers are comin' out of the Grovez and just find ah spot to park and watch the fun when Floyd finally realizes he's about to be eaten by ah clapped out "binder" day cab haullin' double orange hopperz and he'll nail it and gray+rusty smoke will come out from underneath hiz '76 LTD and fog both lanez for half ah mile, Jer...BTDT
A good friend of mine who has some experience with orange hauling refers to the end result as an "orange massacre". I suppose its worth one more load somehow, orange haulers scare me... I try to stay way out of their way.

Hey I resemble that remark..and for the record it was to see you all the mouse is just a bonus...:)
If you show up in August, I don't want to hear any whining about the heat,humidity or your sunburn.:poke:

What I tried

You nailed it on the head on what that stretch is like. It's so accurate my blood pressure automatically went up. Did you ever stop to eat at the old restaurant in Yahoo Junction.

desertinn.jpg

Nope. The only timez I've made that run I've been on ah bonzai run dead heading to get from Tampa to Pompano and load ah 56' Cris Craft to get it to Newport Beach, or Santa Barbara az fast az I could. Those were $7500 pay dayz to the truck for the 5 dayz of haulin' in the late '70s when fuel waz still .40-.50 per gallon. BTW Pal, I learned early on that stopping for ah half hour or hour to eat IF YOU WEREN'T FUELIN' AT THE SAME TIME WHEN YOU'RE ALWAYZ CHASING DAYLITE COULD AND HAZ COST ME AN ENTIRE DAY BECAUSE OF MORNING AND AFTERNOON O.D. CURFEWZ IN CERTAIN CITY AROUND OUR COUNTRY so carrying ah couple weeks of long term food on the floor on the passenger side YEAR ROUND just for such occasionz waz more then optional, lol

Back