Lost Keys

Ripinator

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I found another "parts car" (66 New Yorker) that I need to go see. Owner says car runs good, but he has lost the keys and is unable to start the car. . . Is there an easy way to start the car without the keys? I'm thinking I would need a donor ignition switch (with key) to resolve the issue. Any ideas from the collective ?

I found another "parts car" (66 New Yorker) that I need to go see. Owner says car runs good, but he has lost the keys and is unable to start the car. . . Is there an easy way to start the car without the keys? I'm thinking I would need a donor ignition switch (with key) to resolve the issue. Any ideas from the collective ?

Just energize the ignition from the battery (power to the resistor), and then just short the relay to kick over the engine.

Powering this post will give full 12V to the coil which is normal during starting, but you don't want to run it too long this way else it will burn up the coil. Normally during the starting cycle the coil sees full 12v, then switches across the resistor. Now you can do that from the get go, but it may not start as easily or at all.

power_ignition.PNG

Short momentarily.

starterjump.PNG

Or you could pull one of the switches out of one of your other '66s and take it with you, easy since it's at the bottom of the dash. When you get to the keyless car just unplug the connector and plug it in to the one you brought.

Powering this post will give full 12V to the coil which is normal during starting, but you don't want to run it too long this way else it will burn up the coil. Normally during the starting cycle the coil sees full 12v, then switches across the resistor. Now you can do that from the get go, but it may not start as easily or at all.

View attachment 112575

Short momentarily.

View attachment 112576

Or you could pull one of the switches out of one of your other '66s and take it with you, easy since it's at the bottom of the dash. When you get to the keyless car just unplug the connector and plug it in to the one you brought.

Thanks a lot, you guys. Now I have a Plan A and a Plan B.

If you do buy the car, you can take the ignition switch to a locksmith and he can get the code off the back of the cylinder and cut you a new door and ignition key.

If you do buy the car, you can take the ignition switch to a locksmith and he can get the code off the back of the cylinder and cut you a new door and ignition key.

Mighty fine! Of course, the current owner coulda done that too. . .

Thanx again.

In all seriousness, just reach under and run a jumper wire from BATT to IGN and then under the hood jump the solenoid with the screwdriver to start it.

47992150d1466251213-car-stalls-ocassionaly-and-then-starts-right-up-t2ec16n-mficbgz-l7bsn2liw6-g-60_1-1-.jpg

What's the matter with you guys? You never "borrowed" a car as a teenager?

In all seriousness, just reach under and run a jumper wire from BATT to IGN and then under the hood jump the solenoid with the screwdriver to start it.

47992150d1466251213-car-stalls-ocassionaly-and-then-starts-right-up-t2ec16n-mficbgz-l7bsn2liw6-g-60_1-1-.jpg

I am shocked!

As a matter of fact, I did borrow a few cars back in my teenage days. I always ran a jumper wire from the bat. to the in side of the ballast resistor. Guess I am one of the reasons they came out with the locking steering column.

always ran a jumper wire from the bat. to the in side of the ballast resistor.
Yep. That does the same thing. We "adjusted" the methodology to suit the vehicle in question. :rolleyes:

C'mon guys, gimme a break. It was FIFTY years ago.:lol:

Last edited:
even when I buy cars WITH keys, the first thing I do is replace the whole set of locks. You never know where or who might have a copy and that is a serious security breach considering how well these cars stand out in the crowd and the attention they generate. New keys/new locks is a fresh start. Granted, these cars are not that secure anyways and if someone wants in, they will get in but why make it easy.

Yep. That does the same thing. We "adjusted" the methodology to suit the vehicle in question. :rolleyes:

C'mon guys, gimme a break. It was FIFTY years ago.
Stan, as much knowledge as you have put on this site you are fine. I am just pulling your leg.

Back