MrMopar's 1969 California Highway Patrol restoration

Big update today, on August 22 2010 I towed this car home and right away work started, six years later and over 375 days working on the car, spread that over 5 day work weeks it would be about 1-1/2 years. Although there is still work to do everything was in place to take it for a quick test drive, without front and rear glass i kept it to the street in front of my house.

Although not a real test drive it was still big, this car has not run under its own power in over 35 years.

Alan

Congratulations! That must have felt good.

Congratulations! That must have felt good.
Yes it did, I'll have to admit there was a little nervous apprehension. But once I got going I didn't want to stop, it just made me want to just keep going even without a windshield. Soon enough.

Nice and well done. That your green 4 door across the street also?
Yes both the Polara and the Barracuda, the Polara is the one I'm looking to sell...
For Sale - 1969 Polara 4-door Sedan Project/Parts car

and chronicled here...
The other Polara

Alan

Congrats man! Very inspiring !!

Congratulations, that's a big step! I still haven't gotten over that hump between collecting/restoration of parts and beginning of reassembly. Pulling out of the garage for the first time must be a huge sigh of relief and satisfaction. Great to see it!

Congrats .. I don't there are many things that give the same satisfaction as the first drive around the block in a car "you" built!

Congratulations! In my neck of the woods you just need goggles to drive without a windshield, give it a try!

Congratulations! In my neck of the woods you just need goggles to drive without a windshield, give it a try!
I was more concerned about the headliner than anything else. I'm going to have to drive it two miles across town to the paint booth so we can shoot the roof again, oh and the two miles back. I am right there, after 6 years what is another couple weeks.

Alan

Big update today, on August 22 2010 I towed this car home and right away work started, six years later and over 375 days working on the car, spread that over 5 day work weeks it would be about 1-1/2 years. Although there is still work to do everything was in place to take it for a quick test drive, without front and rear glass i kept it to the street in front of my house.

Although not a real test drive it was still big, this car has not run under its own power in over 35 years.

Alan

Amazing! I'm rebuilding my carb and installing a new gas tank before mine is ready for a spin. Great job!

Here is a quick overview of what has been done over the last six months.
2016-03-21_001.jpg

Al original package tray was acquired and installed, a fresh coat of black was applied over whatever color it was. The CHP lights were installed by drilling pilot holed from the bottom side, one speaker hole had to be opened up to bring the cable through.

2016-03-22_004.jpg

An original CHP radio was mounted on a piece of plywood just as CHP did, and NOS cable was used.

2016-03-30_003.jpg

A reproduction battery cable was cut and lugs added, the terminal block was pulled from a CHP car.

2016-04-03_001.jpg

I have had good luck installing columns solo.

2016-05-08_006.jpg

The CHP had a bulletin about adding a Cadillac overflow bottle in as needed, this car had one but I didn't like the way it was placed. some adjustments were made and it was squared up.

2016-06-09_001.jpg

In taking a picture of something else for a friend it was noticed that I had a cracked manifold, I was lucky to have a spare, still need to swap it out.

Alan

Last edited:
...and some more.

2016-08-13_005.jpg

Not to long after to car was painted some blisters were discovered on the roof. Even though the car went to metal when first done it somehow showed up, it was in the area of one of the roof braces so the backside may not received enough rust treatment.

2016-08-20_001.jpg

Seats were installed, flooring went in a while ago.

2016-08-20_003.jpg

In working on the car recently I uncovered evidence that this car had a cage/screen. I am currently researching them to see how they may have been built, CHP built them.

2016-08-20_006.jpg

2016-09-25_004.jpg

Even though I had the cluster installed but once again it had to be pulled, this time to swap out the gas gauge that wasn't working.

2016-10-04_017.jpg

And most recently the roof was repainted, now I wait again trying to get my paint guy to finish it up.

Once this is buffed out all that is left is the front and read glass and all the remaining exterior trim.

Alan

Last edited:
For the umpteenth time, great work as always, Alan.

This had to break your heart. . .

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mrmopar.com%2F1969PolaraCHP%2F800%2F2016-08-13_005.jpg

Tell me about it, if it wasn't for this the would have been done 6 months ago, I'm ready to give my paint guy the ultimatum and get this done in two weeks or I take it elsewhere. The problem is in my town there are few options and number one on the list is the shop he works at. One excuse or another, time for someone else to get the excuses.

Alan

Last edited:

Alan

Congratulations. It must have been a proud and satisfying moment for you to take it for a spin.

...and some more.
Tell us more about the cage mounting,..... I'd like to check my car...
2016-08-13_005.jpg

Not to long after to car was painted some blisters were discovered on the roof. Even though the car went to metal when first done it somehow showed up, it was in the area of one of the roof braces so the backside may not received enough rust treatment.

2016-08-20_001.jpg

Seats were installed, flooring went in a while ago.

2016-08-20_003.jpg

In working on the car recently I uncovered evidence that this car had a cage/screen. I am currently researching them to see how they may have been built, CHP built them.

2016-08-20_006.jpg

2016-09-25_004.jpg

Even though I had the cluster installed but once again it had to be pulled, this time to swap out the gas gauge that wasn't working.

2016-10-04_017.jpg

And most recently the roof was repainted, now I wait again trying to get my paint guy to finish it up.

Once this is buffed out all that is left is the front and read glass and all the remaining exterior trim.

Alan

Back